The Official Spike Lee "BlacKkKlansman’" Thread

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
for a film this "on the nose" it was done pretty well

I was shocked at how un-cheesy it was
fukk subtlety. Spike is going up against 100 years of White supremacy idolizing in American cinema. Why in the fukk are you asking him to be subtle in a film that's transparently meant to be a rebuttal to it.
The biggest and most influential American movies of all time are Gone With the Wind & Birth of a Nation, they set the table for a century of disrespectful caricatures of Black people in American cinema. Im glad Spike took the chainsaw out.
If you want subtlety, go watch a Coen brothers movie.

The only scene I had an issue with was the one where Stallworth talks about how America would never elect someone like David Duke....there was no need for that scene, it was redundant when you consider the ending of the movie.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I usually hate when movies go overboard with the heavy handiness ( looking at you Crash) but damn I thought it worked in this movie.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was one of three Black folk in a crowd of White people, age 35 and above, at my showing.
:huhldup:
shyt was just a game for that audience until the last third of the movie, then, when the ending hit, it was like the air was sucked out of the room. Nobody said a word for almost a minute when the credits rolled.
It was like that at the screening I went to
The upside down flag was like a :ufdup: to cacs

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
One more thing: is Armand White the Black critic White publications send out when they want a hatchet job done on Black films? Dude is entitled to his opinion, but he's not entitled to his own facts: he said Spike has only 1 box office hit in his entire career, which is false. Inside Man made 100 million, Do The Right thing was a hit. Then he said Spike "misunderstood" DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation. This is where we get into dangerous c00n territory. There is nothing about that movie that can be "misunderstood"
Black people are presented as demonic in that movie. Period. There is no other "interpretation" to be had.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
So is this worth seeing In theaters? Spike is my favorite but she’s gotta have it on Netflix is the only thing I’ve really liked from him since inside man.
Yes, it's his best work since 25th Hour and He Got Game. Also, though there's someone in here complaining about it being "preachy", it's his most restrained film since Inside Man.

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
Great film. Spike and Jordan Peele did a wonderful job, managing to make a movie that explains the second rise and rebrand of the Klan, 1920s to present day. Both accomplish this while telling the parallel story of a black cop who goes undercover to expose the Klan.

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I was one of three Black folk in a crowd of White people, age 35 and above, at my showing.
:huhldup:
shyt was just a game for that audience until the last third of the movie, then, when the ending hit, it was like the air was sucked out of the room. Nobody said a word for almost a minute when the credits rolled.
I've seen people say this and I can attest to it.

EVERYBODY WAS DEAD QUIET.

shyt was EERIE.