The Official Spike Lee "BlacKkKlansman’" Thread

mr x

Superstar
Daps
An Unreleased Prince Song Will Be Featured In BlacKKKlansman

As Spike Lee was placing the finishing touches on his latest film BlacKKKLansman, the prolific film director knew he needed a song for the end credits, so he made a call.

Lee invited Spotify executive Troy Carter to a special screening of the film and when the movie was over, Carter had a song in mind.

“After [Carter] said, ‘Spike, I got the song.’ And that was ‘Mary Don’t You Weep,’ which had been recorded on cassette in the mid-Eighties,” Lee said to Rolling Stone magazine.

Let Lee tell it, Prince’s rendition of “Mary Don’t You Weep” was made for this movie.

“Prince wanted me to have that song, I don’t care what nobody says. My brother Prince wanted me to have that song. For this film. There’s no other explanation to me. This cassette is in the back of the vaults. In Paisley Park. And all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it’s discovered? Nah-ah. That ain’t an accident.”

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
I was raised on Spike's movies, damn near the only director you could get a 2 hour film about a normal Black family for about 20 years. Glad he's back in the game with a hit.
I also like the fact that Spike has no fear of White people. That dude is out to settle some scores and I love that mindset in a famous Black person.

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I'm really trying to figure out who's going to shower up, get dressed, gas up the whip to go see this movie. Black folks don't want to see the Klan on screen in any fashion and of course white folks don't want to be reminded of their racist past and present. Sure everyone will watch this at home but if it doesn't have some sort of Oscar buzz then this could be DOA imo:patrice:

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
I'm really trying to figure out who's going to shower up, get dressed, gas up the whip to go see this movie. Black folks don't want to see the Klan on screen in any fashion and of course white folks don't want to be reminded of their racist past and present. Sure everyone will watch this at home but if it doesn't have some sort of Oscar buzz then this could be DOA imo:patrice:
Its getting the rave reviews it needs. For example, Don Lemon gave it a huge shout on his show last night. And, while I dont like this person at all, Megyn Kelly gave it a huge shoutout on her show. (which is fascinating in and of itself, given that lady's history with race)
It seems to be connecting with people cause of its timeliness. In a way that Get Out was a film about the more subtle Obama era racism, this movie seems to be about overt, in your face racism of the new Trump era. It's sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its getting the rave reviews it needs. For example, Don Lemon gave it a huge shout on his show last night. And, while I dont like this person at all, Megyn Kelly gave it a huge shoutout on her show. (which is fascinating in and of itself, given that lady's history with race)
It seems to be connecting with people cause of its timeliness. In a way that Get Out was a film about the more subtle Obama era racism, this movie seems to be about overt, in your face racism of the new Trump era. It's sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

:ehh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Is this the official thread?

Fred.

Daps
My boy Ken is in this. Haven't seen a Spike movie in theaters since maybe He Got Game. I'll be front n center Saturday :myman: