The Official Spike Lee "BlacKkKlansman’" Thread

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
More good then bad. I really, really was cheering for this to be a classic. I mean you got the Spike Lee camera work, music, scenery. Just brought back the old Spike Lee feeling. I don't watch Ballers so this was my first time watching Denzel son. And he proved he could carry a movie. I didn't get to know him as a person but he did his part in the role he played. I loved the fast dialogue at times which goes back to that Spike feeling. Then the "ending,ending" was thought provoking and Spike-ish. But with all that said, I still couldn't ignore certain parts that just irked me. And it goes to my expectation. I expected since it was based on a book that it was going to be extremely accurate (which it was from what I read from reviews). But the parts that it wasn't really put the film down a notch for me. Have to put this in spoilers
When Denzel ran security for David Duke why didn't he change his accent to a Black accent. His White voice (some will catch that reference) was clearly too similar to what he did on the phone. Secondly, when that Klansman went to Denzel appt, he should have instantly recognized him at the David Duke gathering. 3rd and the part that turned me off the most, was when that Klansman wife tried to plant the bomb in the mailbox and those fools blew up themselves. I knew instantly that was Hollywood and such a turn off. Instead of turning that into a police brutality moment, find a different way for him to be the hero. Not something as silly and unlikely as that. That felt like something Peele wanted in the movie. Even though that wasn't the ending to the story, it just felt like a happy ending vibe. Sorta like what Peele did in "Get Out". If you're going to Hollywoodize it, have Angela Davis Jr. get shot or hurt. Not them fools blowing themselves up

My other criticism was the propaganda was just to obvious. From the lawn signs, to the David Dude in the White house stuff. Just no subtlety. Just went out of it's way to compare the 1970
s to what 45 is doing. I get it but it's just preachy in the way he approached it. Now, the Harry Belefonte part was cool in the way he was preachy. But in other ways it was annoying. It's like the problems I have with faith based films (and I'm a Christian). You gotta do it in a artful way. But again, the good outweighs the bad and I would see it again. Even just for the simple reason of getting that Spike Lee feel. Lastly, really surprised to see a Spike Lee film without a bunch of sex scenes.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Haven't seen the film yet but dudes compared this to Django and said QT made a better film on race :gucci:

Didn't watch this review before my review but they're right about alot stuff so far....

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
More good then bad. I really, really was cheering for this to be a classic. I mean you got the Spike Lee camera work, music, scenery. Just brought back the old Spike Lee feeling. I don't watch Ballers so this was my first time watching Denzel son. And he proved he could carry a movie. I didn't get to know him as a person but he did his part in the role he played. I loved the fast dialogue at times which goes back to that Spike feeling. Then the "ending,ending" was thought provoking and Spike-ish. But with all that said, I still couldn't ignore certain parts that just irked me. And it goes to my expectation. I expected since it was based on a book that it was going to be extremely accurate (which it was from what I read from reviews). But the parts that it wasn't really put the film down a notch for me. Have to put this in spoilers
When Denzel ran security for David Duke why didn't he change his accent to a Black accent. His White voice (some will catch that reference) was clearly too similar to what he did on the phone. Secondly, when that Klansman went to Denzel appt, he should have instantly recognized him at the David Duke gathering. 3rd and the part that turned me off the most, was when that Klansman wife tried to plant the bomb in the mailbox and those fools blew up themselves. I knew instantly that was Hollywood and such a turn off. Instead of turning that into a police brutality moment, find a different way for him to be the hero. Not something as silly and unlikely as that. That felt like something Peele wanted in the movie. Even though that wasn't the ending to the story, it just felt like a happy ending vibe. Sorta like what Peele did in "Get Out". If you're going to Hollywoodize it, have Angela Davis Jr. get shot or hurt. Not them fools blowing themselves up

My other criticism was the propaganda was just to obvious. From the lawn signs, to the David Dude in the White house stuff. Just no subtlety. Just went out of it's way to compare the 1970
s to what 45 is doing. I get it but it's just preachy in the way he approached it. Now, the Harry Belefonte part was cool in the way he was preachy. But in other ways it was annoying. It's like the problems I have with faith based films (and I'm a Christian). You gotta do it in a artful way. But again, the good outweighs the bad and I would see it again. Even just for the simple reason of getting that Spike Lee feel. Lastly, really surprised to see a Spike Lee film without a bunch of sex scenes.
for a film this "on the nose" it was done pretty well

I was shocked at how un-cheesy it was