The OFFICIAL "SHAZAM" movie thread - 4/5/19 release

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
'Shazam' Director Says Earlier Versions Of The Script Featured Black Adam

DC’s Shazam film will be helmed by director David F. Sandberg, a filmmaker best known for the horror films Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation. Since his involvement with the project was confirmed, Sandberg has been open about hilimited familiarity with the character and recently discussed which Shazam comics he has been reading for research purposes during an interview with Film Riot.

Sandberg confirmed that a script has been written and that the film will be the next DC project to shoot:

“There’s a script […] It’s the next DC movie to shoot.”

Sandberg also commented on which comic books he has been reading to familiarize himself with the character:

“I’m taking it all in. Some of those really old ones are quite fun, when he’s, like, fighting Hitler. Stuff like that. No, cause he’s been around since the 40s for, like, as long as Superman. So there’s a lot to read and that’s also interesting because he sort of has a couple of different origin stories or a couple of different takes on it. You know, you have the most recent sort of Geoff Johns version and then you have ordwell version and then you have those really old versions.”

Reaffirming reports that Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam will not be appearing in the film, Sandberg did reveal that there were versions of the script that included the DC Comics villain:

“There’ve been variations of the script, like before I came along, where… you know, variations where Black Adam was in and out and, you know. But now, this is about Shazam.”

Details on the film’s plot are currently unknown, though most tellings of the comic book story depict Billy Batson as an orphan child who is granted the ability to become an adult hero with godlike powers by an ancient Wizard.

Shazam! does not have a release date, but the film is scheduled to begin production in February 2018.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
hyped af for this, like u cnt mess this up and it not be a hit. its every childs' dream to be a superhero, thats captain marvel, a kid chosen by destiny, a heart pure and the will to win. lol think of the screen time of billy and shazam like banner and hulk :manny:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
REPORT: Shazam Eyeing Cena, Sasse; Billy Batson Character Bio Revealed

According to the report, Warner Bros. is eyeing WWE superstar John Cena and Galavant alum Joshua Sasse as frontrunners for the role of Shazam. As the report points out, Sasse isn’t as well known Cena, though he has appeared in television shows like No Tomorrow, Rogue and The Neighbors. Nevertheless, this would give Sasse the opportunity to truly define the role as a relative newcomer. On the other hand, Cena — who recently appeared in a comedic role for Amy Schumer’s Trainwreck and will star in the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee — brings with him an established fanbase that could become a potential audience for Shazam.

Rock vs Cena II: Twice in a Lifetime :blessed:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
They are really looking at opposite ends of the spectrum with their short list to play Shazam.
On one end you have Cena:
qKyQ59U.png

And on the other end you have Joshua Sasse:
ZG878jh.jpg

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
They are really looking at opposite ends of the spectrum with their short list to play Shazam.
On one end you have Cena:
qKyQ59U.png

And on the other end you have Joshua Sasse:
ZG878jh.jpg
Seriously, this is a no-brainer. Cena's on the come up and comes with a built-in fan base. WB would be dumb not to get him.

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
WB getting a fan favorite? I'll believe when I see it
Watch it be some random ala Gal Gadot that nikkas will bytch about ad nauseam :russell:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Exclusive: 'SHAZAM' Looking to Cast The Marvel Family - That Hashtag Show

We know DC’s Shazam is set to begin production early next year (we’ve been told they hope for a February start date) and as such, they’ve begun the search for the cast of the film. We broke the news to you that the studio was interested in John Cena and Joshua Sasse for the role of Shazam along with a character description for Billy Batson. We now have some interesting information about 4 additional members of the cast that all have ties to Batson.

Over the weekend, Omega Underground dug up an audition video for the film and reckoned that the role “Frank” was actually that of Freddy Freeman. We can confirm that the studio is looking to cast not only Freddy Freeman but 3 other children as well. The studio is currently looking for young children to play the roles of “Daniel”, “Carlos” and “Suzy”; we believe those actors will be filling the role of Eugene Choi, Pedro Pena and Darla Dudley, friends of Billy Batson and Freddy Freeman who were first introduced to the comics during the Flashpoint event! Take a look at the character breakdowns below:

[DANIEL]11, Korean. Daniel is a smart kid, into video games and reading non-fiction. SUPPORTING

EugeneCoS2-206x300.jpg

[CARLOS]15, Hispanic, overweight, with asthma. Carlos is very shy and sweet. SUPPORTING

PedroCoS2.jpg

[SUZY]8-10, African American. A sweet, bubbly girl with glasses and pigtails. SUPPORTING

Darla_Dudley_-_New_52-245x300.jpg

When originally introduced in Flashpoint, these children along with Billy, his twin sister Mary Batson and Freddy met the wizard Shazam and were each granted one of the six superpowers associated with Shazam. Billy was granted the courage of Achilles, Mary the stamina of Atlas, Freddy the power of Zeus, Eugene the wisdom of Solomon, Pedro the strength of Hercules and Darla the speed of Mercury. Following Flashpoint, Eugene, Pedro and Darla’s lives were drastically altered and they became normal children who shared foster parents with Billy, Mary, and Freddy.

A look at the character breakdown for “FRANK” leads us to believe that we may be getting the post-Flashpoint version of the kids:

[FRANK]11-13, Caucasian. A kid at the group home with “Billy”, who becomes his friend and confident. Sarcastic and funny. SUPPORTING

FreddyCoS2.jpg

Fans of DC comics will know that Freddy has had a few iterations over the years, one of which was “Captain Marvel Jr.” While the description doesn’t help us out there, we can imagine that being a close friend of Billy’s might involve him getting some special treatment from his buddy’s alter ego.

With short time remaining before the beginning of production, we’ll be sure to hear some news on the casting front soon enough. Stay tuned to That Hashtag Show for breaking news on all things DC!