The Official SEGA Discussion Thread

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

Unreleased beta for SEGA Saturn game Star Wars: Rebel Strike uncovered!

Thanks to a post on the Obscure Gamers forum, we have our first look at an unreleased Star Wars game from SEGA for the SEGA Saturn! It has long been known that SEGA had planned a port of their Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game for the Saturn (a game I actually played through just yesterday at the Galloping Ghost Arcade). But in addition to this, SEGA had planned another game exclusive to the console. Titled Star Wars: Rebel Strike, gaming magazines at the time guessed that the game would be an amalgamation of all three Star Wars films, though that sounds very much like what Star Wars Trilogy Arcade already was. My guess is journalists confused the two projects for one, as the recently released beta footage for Rebel Strike shows a very different game.

The footage shows a speeder bike with lock-on targeting, and while free roaming it does very much resemble SEGA’s on-rails shooter Panzer Dragoon. Personally, I think it looks like Luxoflux’s Star Wars: Demolition. It is unknown who exactly developed this, and if it was truly internally developed by SEGA, but based on the test menu mentioning the name “Scott” I’m going to guess it was developed in the west. We’ll be sure to share more information as it is uncovered! It’s very cool to see another Star Wars game uncovered, especially for the SEGA Saturn which lacked any Star Wars games in its library.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Final 12 Mega Drive/Genesis Mini Lineup Revealed Including Darius MD and Tetris, Accessories

megadriveMiniSet4Cover-750x422.png

It’s the last 10– no wait… 12! Yes, the last 12 games set for the SEGA Genesis Mini and the SEGA Mega Drive Mini in all territories. SEGA has recently showcased on their most recent livestream the remaining games in the collection along with some other tidbits on accessories you can purchase for your miniature system including a carrying case as well as the ability to “dress up” your system in the tower of power with an attachable (non-functioning) SEGA CD and 32X units along with miniature cartridges of Sonic 1 and Sonic & Knuckles (Actual games not included) to your system. The last two games, Darius MD and Tetris appear as special bonus games. Darius’s inclusion is notable in that this conversion was never before produced and the mini system features official support from the Tetris Company to include the ultra rare Mega Drive conversion of SEGA’s Arcade Tetris.

[Source: SEGA of America Twitter, SEGA Mega Drive Mini Livestream]

Click below to reveal the last remaining titles in the line up as well as pictures of the accessories shown during the livestream.

All Regions
  • Tetris
  • Darius
  • Road Rash II
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Columns
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Monster World IV
North America/Europe
  • Strider
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Light Crusader
  • Eternal Champions
Japan
  • Assault Suit Leynos
  • Langrisser II
  • Slap Fight MD
  • Snow Bros
  • Lord Monarch
Accessories*

*Accessories not announced for regions outside of Japan. Content comes from SEGA’s Mega Drive livestream.

Final 12 Mega Drive/Genesis Mini Lineup Revealed Including Darius MD and Tetris, Accessories

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain

Thanks to a post on the Obscure Gamers forum, we have our first look at an unreleased Star Wars game from SEGA for the SEGA Saturn! It has long been known that SEGA had planned a port of their Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game for the Saturn (a game I actually played through just yesterday at the Galloping Ghost Arcade). But in addition to this, SEGA had planned another game exclusive to the console. Titled Star Wars: Rebel Strike, gaming magazines at the time guessed that the game would be an amalgamation of all three Star Wars films, though that sounds very much like what Star Wars Trilogy Arcade already was. My guess is journalists confused the two projects for one, as the recently released beta footage for Rebel Strike shows a very different game.

The footage shows a speeder bike with lock-on targeting, and while free roaming it does very much resemble SEGA’s on-rails shooter Panzer Dragoon. Personally, I think it looks like Luxoflux’s Star Wars: Demolition. It is unknown who exactly developed this, and if it was truly internally developed by SEGA, but based on the test menu mentioning the name “Scott” I’m going to guess it was developed in the west. We’ll be sure to share more information as it is uncovered! It’s very cool to see another Star Wars game uncovered, especially for the SEGA Saturn which lacked any Star Wars games in its library.

Oh wow nice find.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to Xbox One and PC in the West

If you gave up on Phantasy Star Online 2 coming out in the West, Microsoft has swooped in to put a smile on your face. Phantasy Star Online 2 will be coming out West, free-to-play, on the Xbox One console and PC. According to the trailer it is being powered by Microsoft’s cloud service Azure, which makes me assume this will be completely separate from the Japanese version.

There is still a lot to find out, including if this is going to be up to the latest update to the Japanese release and how they will handle strange tie-ins that the Japanese version has gotten. Regardless, we will all be able to team up and destroy creatures with a official English release.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to Xbox One and PC in the West

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Terraonion has announced the Mega SD for the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive, the world’s first Sega CD Optical Drive Emulator (ODE), accomplished by means of FPGA emulation of the actual Sega CD hardware. This means that the Sega CD hardware is no longer needed, and CD games can be flashed through the Genesis’ cart slot. That should blow your mind a little.

As if a Sega CD ODE wasn’t enough, the Mega SD boasts a range of other features that will warm the heart of any retro Sega aficionado. It also acts as a region-free flash cart for cartridge based Genesis/Mega Drive, SMS (with FM sound), and 32X games, like a superpowered EverDrive.

Possibly the most impressive feat is adding Sega CD functionality to the Nomad, Sega’s handheld Genesis. Although two simple mods are required to reconnect the cart audio line and SMS functionality.

Fans of the MSU-1 hacks for Super Nintendo, which add CD quality soundtracks on real hardware, will be pleased to learn that the Mega SD has a similar feature, and Terranonion has already published a dev manual for homebrew coders and ROM hackers wishing to implement it.

According to the user manual, the Mega SD works on all three Genesis/Mega Drive revisions, Nomad, Analogue Mega Sg, and there is even the possibility of a passive ext port adapter to allow the Mega SD to plug in to the side of the Genesis for booting CD 32X combo games.

On the technical side, the Mega SD draws less power than a real Virtua Racing cart, has a beautiful color GUI, and an audio circuit overseen by the legendary FirebrandX. It supports all save types, and works as a Sega CD RAM cart, creating an individual save entry for each game.

The Mega SD is priced at €232 (US $260) and pre-orders are open

The full announcement is here:

Terraonion Mega SD: World's First Sega CD ODE

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
My PlayStation classic plays Sega CD games flawlessly :blessed:

When I got extra cash to burn I need to cop a Saturn again :feedme:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
@mrken12 @Wild self @Tenchi® Ryu™

Capcom’s Hideaki Itsuno wants to make a new Power Stone on Nintendo Switch

If you were a SEGA Dreamcast fanatic back when the console launched, you probably got to try Capcom’s Power Stone which became one of the consoles best party fighting games. Since both Power Stone games came out on the Dreamcast, the franchise has been mostly dead save for a port on the PSP of the first two games with some extras. But now the Guardian spoke with Capcom game designer Hideki Itsuno about the creation of the game (its turning 20 years old next month!).

Here he talks about the idea of making a Power Stone 3:

“I still get messages from fans about the game. People tweet requests to me to make another Power Stone, which I’d love to do if I got the chance. It would be a particularly great fit for the Nintendo Switch.”

I implore you to check out the great write up by Keith Stuart over on the Guardian, a great nostalgic read and has some nice insight into the development of the game. While we are add it, can we get another Project Justice/Rival Schools as well?

Capcom’s Hideaki Itsuno wants to make a new Power Stone on Nintendo Switch