The Official Playstation 4 Thread - News and Info

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
ps41.png
- SOny preparing content for that ps4. We got the games. Looks like it is called Orbis.

PSO

SKFU is a well-known member of the PS3 scene, we don’t have to introduce him. This active member of the community has spotted content for PS4 on PSN. Using private tools, SKFU has discovered test products related to the PS4.

The hacker has uploaded a screenshot with his discovery (click here to see the full screenshot). Analyzing the picture we can read some PS4 projects but we can’t find out the games behind those names. Each product has an environment code, if you want to learn further information about this nomenclature, please visit this wiki.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
“An insider involved with PlayStation’s business strategy” has told CVG that Sony is targeting Europe as a very important area in its actual strategy due to the possibility of Microsoft becoming more aggressive in the old continent after the success of Xbox 360 in one of the most important markets of the European zone: United Kingdom.

Sony would launch Playstation 4 this year en Europe with no delay. The company knows how important is the fact of launching its system before than Microsoft’s Durango/Next Xbox, and wants to ensure there is no delay in Europe.

According to this insider, that would lead to a possible shortage in some regions and they would then prioritize the U.S and Europe.

Japan would be the region where less consoles would be sent, since Sony considers Japan a “safe region”.

Remember that we talked just six days ago about the possibility of Sony having trouble with PS4 production and not reaching the desired number of 16 millions of PS4 delivered this year.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Sonys show is so hot its been barred from appearing on the Spike tv E3 presentation. Microsoft payola in effect.

Only PS4 Sony E3 will be excluded from TV airing
Spike bought an exclusive right to air both Sony and MS conference. But chose to air only MS conference and not Sony. Because they bought an exclusive right to air, no one else will be able to air Sony conference.
MS and Spike has been partnering for few years. MS and Viacom are partners as well.

It is a long conference so I usually watch on sofa. So I will prob bring my ps3 to living room, but how do you think this will affect general masses? I imagine a lot less people will know about it. No tv commercials and etc. Less exposure.

Edit.
Spike's Xbox focus casts Nintendo's 'no E3' decision in a new light | Wii U

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Sonys show is so hot its been barred from appearing on the Spike tv E3 presentation. Microsoft payola in effect.

Spike bought an exclusive right to air both Sony and MS conference. But chose to air only MS conference and not Sony. Because they bought an exclusive right to air, no one else will be able to air Sony conference.
MS and Spike has been partnering for few years. MS and Viacom are partners as well.

It is a long conference so I usually watch on sofa. So I will prob bring my ps3 to living room, but how do you think this will affect general masses? I imagine a lot less people will know about it. No tv commercials and etc. Less exposure.

Edit.
:lupe:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Used Game DRM PUT TO REST ONCE AND FOR ALL BY SONY!

This is a crazy bit of news because it's not actually new but Sony went ahead and kind of circled everyone back around to an earlier point they made regarding used games and DRM. Hence, the company is answering new questions retroactively and confirm that the PS4 won't have any built-in blocks against used games. Put that Angry Joe rant away, because you won't need it for the PS4.

Kotaku [via Maxconsole] had a few questions about the PlayStation 4 and its used game DRM as well as always-online functionality. Kotaku contacted Sony directly and a representative for Sony pointed Kotaku back to one of their own articles, reiterating statements made by Sony's top dog studio chief, Shuhei Yoshida, where Kotaku originally published this info back in February...
At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.)
Kotaku promptly apologized to gamers for not having caught it earlier. Kind of crazy...these witch hunts, eh? You kind of lose sight of important info that nulls and voids the whole witch hunt in the first place. Ah, crazy kids.

I'm betting a lot of people are feeling awfully silly for having missed such an important piece of info buried under all that Microsoft rage. I wonder if Sony will blame gaming media for not digging through their archives the way Microsoft blamed gaming media for their executives giving out inaccurate and incomplete info?

Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam or EA used to use Online Passes).

This clears up a few things:
1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store orremote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

So basically what we have here is a collage of previous statements confirming Sony's stance on the gaming market: They support you, the gamers.

Keep in mind that we're not totally in the clear regarding used game DRM for any console, including the Wii U. Third-party publishers may use the opportunity to go overboard one way or another and so, sadly, just like Master Chief and his unending fight with a bunch of aliens that all look alike, the fight isn't finished.

While I don't know if it's still necessary to keep tweeting #PS4NoDRM at Sony, it certainly wouldn't hurt to use NeoGaf's momentum to direct the attention toward third-party publishers. I doubt they'll like the sentiment because of greed and all, but so far Sony seems to be building up the PlayStation 4 to be as good a console as the PlayStation 2, barring greedy pulbishers.

And just so we can finally end this argument of comparisons: The PlayStation 4 will not have built-in used game DRM like the Xbox One. #Dealwithit

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Sony: Developers Requested x86 Architecture for PS4
By Kevin Parrish14 MARCH 2013 04:02 - Source: PlayStation Magazine

The Official PlayStation Magazine recently conducted an interview with Michael Denny, vice president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios. They talked about the hardware behind the upcoming PlayStation 4, revealing that the developer community actually requested the x86-based platform.

Looking back, this demand for an x86-based platform really is no surprise given how many complaints Sony received regarding the PlayStation 3's hardware. Sony co-developed the Cell Broadband Engine Architecture, AKA Cell, with Toshiba and IBM. It combines a general-purpose Power Architecture Core with streamlined coprocessing elements and a memory coherence architecture.

The PlayStation 3's Cell configuration includes one Power Processor Element on the core, and eight physical Synergistic Processing Elements in silicon. Developers have called this environment "challenging" which in turn reduced support for the PlayStation 3 and seemingly allowed the Xbox 360 to win the console wars.

Apparently one of the complaints heard repeatedly by developers, especially in the early days of the PlayStation 3, was that it was difficult to fit Sony's console within a PC-focused pipeline. "That’s certainly one of the points of feedback that developers had in when we were discussing in the early days of what PlayStation 4 architecture should be," Denny admitted. "But, as I say, the main thing was looking at the state of the art CPU and GPU, with ease of development."

Despite the upcoming console's PC-based guts, it's not going to be a desktop PC out-of-the-box, but a dedicated gaming console. Ultimately what this means for gamers is that they'll likely not see crappy ports, as developers can now better use their resources to create one baseline game and add specific platform–based features. Sony actually co-developed the PlayStation 4's APU with AMD, so expect some platform-specific surprises.

"I think that we learn from all the platforms we launch and systems we’ve developed," he told the magazine. "Part of PlayStation 4 is learning from previous platforms and making things better. Then part of it is the new experience as well, adding extra features, and you put those together for a much better package and much better experience for the gamer."

At the end of the day, it's about the output, he added. It's about having the best creators and development teams, the best games and the best experiences no matter what's under the console hood. But having 8 GB of high speed system memory doesn't hurt.

"[That] is just a massive win for developers in terms of the sort of games they can create, and the ease of game development," he said.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:snoop: @Mowgli you REALLY need to post links & Headlines to the articles you post and put them in a quote box. It just ridiculous to see random, unidentified, unorganized articles in this thread all the time. It's the downfall of this thread, imo. Sometimes I don't even know what the fukk you're posting

Last edited by a moderator:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
:snoop: @Mowgli you REALLY need to post links & Headlines to the articles you post and put them in a quote box. It just ridiculous to see random, unidentified, unorganized articles in this thread all the time. It's the downfall of this thread, imo. Sometimes I don't even know what the fukk you're posting

I'll bold the titles from now on but fukk outta here. We on the first or second page of all playstation 4 threads on the ENTIRE INTERNET so :shaq2:

Aint shyt to talk about right now so the thread is dormant. Once e3 hits, we goin Ham in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

Edit.

MS fakkit ass tactics won't work this time :birdman:. nikkaz got a kegs of :umad: stored in Redmond I see. :laff: