Essential The Official Photography Thread

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I only just recently got into photography, but I definitely want to try medium format. My friends has got an old Soviet camera, Kiev I think, that he said I could use whenever. Gonna have to try my hand at that soon.

And yeah, I developed my first roll of B&W like a month ago or so, and successfully developed color this past Sunday. I was so juiced, I developed another two rolls on Monday.:lolbron:

You gotta let us know if you find a medium format at an estate sale, or if you pick one up though. I hardly know anything about them, so it'd be cool seeing what you pick up.

I'm signed up on BHM (Bargain Hunter Mama). They organize estate sales in NJ. I check weekly to see if some old fart croaked, his gear is being sold, and the family don't care they just want to get rid of it:russ:. If not it's ebay and old medium format cameras have gone up:martin:.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I'm signed up on BHM (Bargain Hunter Mama). They organize estate sales in NJ. I check weekly to see if some old fart croaked, his gear is being sold, and the family don't care they just want to get rid of it:russ:. If not it's ebay and old medium format cameras have gone up:martin:.

My mom is on the nextdoor app, and she'll search for estate sales on there. Honestly, might just ask her to check to see if there's any postings for this weekend, that shyt was kinda fun.:russ:

I found the point and shoot, some expired film, and a small camera bag so far. All in all, probably less than $10, plus other non photography stuff.

The one I always see mentioned is the Mamiya cameras, don't really see those for under $500 smh. I think the Kiev my boy got was $250-300.

Edit: Also, I've had really good luck with the goodwill auction site. Found two Spotmatics for $14 and $24 each, a vivitar 135mm lens for $9, and a sous vide (helps with developing lol) for $17. Might be worth combing through, although the more hyped items are still netting a lot of money. Just searched and only came up with this:

Mamiya 645AFD Medium Format SLR Camera

Ebay sellers be taxing, but it's always worth throwing an offer out. I have even had sellers send me offers after adding their listings to my watched list.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
tested it out on my niece
ISO 200
85mm
f 1.8
1/1000s

tt1.jpg

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My mom is on the nextdoor app, and she'll search for estate sales on there. Honestly, might just ask her to check to see if there's any postings for this weekend, that shyt was kinda fun.:russ:

I found the point and shoot, some expired film, and a small camera bag so far. All in all, probably less than $10, plus other non photography stuff.

The one I always see mentioned is the Mamiya cameras, don't really see those for under $500 smh. I think the Kiev my boy got was $250-300.

Edit: Also, I've had really good luck with the goodwill auction site. Found two Spotmatics for $14 and $24 each, a vivitar 135mm lens for $9, and a sous vide (helps with developing lol) for $17. Might be worth combing through, although the more hyped items are still netting a lot of money. Just searched and only came up with this:

Mamiya 645AFD Medium Format SLR Camera

Ebay sellers be taxing, but it's always worth throwing an offer out. I have even had sellers send me offers after adding their listings to my watched list.

I have multiple sous vides. I like my sous vide steak. Then put that shyt on the grill for a sear:noah:.

Some years back I got a Canon FTb at an estate sale and it still had film in it. This was like 2010, and the woman who died, her husband died in like 1993. My dumb ass took the film to CVS. They said nothing was on the film due to it's age. I think they fukked it up. My fault for sending it there. Though the camera was in the hot as hell attic since 93, so they may have been right.

You should give Black-Owned Camera Store located in Brooklyn, New York - Photodom a look. It's black owned and he has the Vision3 film that I prefer over CineStill, even though removing the remjet layer can be a pain in the butt.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Has anyone tried out these lights?
apcb7c.jpg

Accent B7c - Aputure

I'm trying to step up my lighting game and these look pretty interesting.
No experience with that particular build but I have 3 of the 120d lights and an MC light (little rectangle RGB light) and I love them. That bulb seems to fit a similar function as the MC light with the exception that the bulb would more naturally fit into a lamp. It’s actually a cool idea to have a few of those bulbs on hand but I would say if you were only going to get one then go with the MC to start since in practice application it’ll be more versatile.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I have multiple sous vides. I like my sous vide steak. Then put that shyt on the grill for a sear:noah:.

Some years back I got a Canon FTb at an estate sale and it still had film in it. This was like 2010, and the woman who died, her husband died in like 1993. My dumb ass took the film to CVS. They said nothing was on the film due to it's age. I think they fukked it up. My fault for sending it there. Though the camera was in the hot as hell attic since 93, so they may have been right.

You should give Black-Owned Camera Store located in Brooklyn, New York - Photodom a look. It's black owned and he has the Vision3 film that I prefer over CineStill, even though removing the remjet layer can be a pain in the butt.

:ohhh:

They keep a large stock of film, I will definitely order from them in the future.:salute:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
No experience with that particular build but I have 3 of the 120d lights and an MC light (little rectangle RGB light) and I love them. That bulb seems to fit a similar function as the MC light with the exception that the bulb would more naturally fit into a lamp. It’s actually a cool idea to have a few of those bulbs on hand but I would say if you were only going to get one then go with the MC to start since in practice application it’ll be more versatile.

I was checking out the MC light. It's a toss up for me between the production kits for the MC light and Accent B7c, because I have the money to spend and my next few big purchases are going to be lighting.

Objection

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I'm going on a swamp tour tomorrow. I have a 70-200mm lens but I am not sure if that will be good enough for me to get any decent pics of wildlife we come across. I do have a 70-300mm lens that I still have when I bought my first camera. I am hoping one of these can get the job done.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm going on a swamp tour tomorrow. I have a 70-200mm lens but I am not sure if that will be good enough for me to get any decent pics of wildlife we come across. I do have a 70-300mm lens that I still have when I bought my first camera. I am hoping one of these can get the job done.

just get up close breh :mjlit:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Chi modu passed away today. He's probably one of the most well known hip hop photographers and gave us those iconic Tupac photos people remember.

I actually have his book from his Pac shoots on my coffee table. RIP.

May he Rest In Peace