Essential The Official Photography Thread

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't really know what a "good" price range would be? But $200-$450. Is that too low?
To just get your foot in no...on black friday at bestbuy they will have the canon rebel t3 with a 18-55 kit lens, a 75-300 lens, a camera bag and a 16GB card for $450

Its an entry level DSLR, the downside is its the starting point for most, I started on this camera, but it shoots in 12 MP and you will most likely want to upgrade within a year, but really until you get the best, you always kinda want to upgrade. the good side is you can get to learn how to use a DSLR and the settings are too advanced, so when/if you upgrade it will be easier to adjust...its lighter than most DSLR.
It can take video too, but you can attach a external mic to it I dont think, and it records in mono I thin, you can check the specs

Here is the ad
http://blackfriday.com/stores/best-buy/flyers/black-friday/page-16

Notorious THC

Below The Heavens
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
To just get your foot in no...on black friday at bestbuy they will have the canon rebel t3 with a 18-55 kit lens, a 75-300 lens, a camera bag and a 16GB card for $450

Its an entry level DSLR, the downside is its the starting point for most, I started on this camera, but it shoots in 12 MP and you will most likely want to upgrade within a year, but really until you get the best, you always kinda want to upgrade. the good side is you can get to learn how to use a DSLR and the settings are too advanced, so when/if you upgrade it will be easier to adjust...its lighter than most DSLR.
It can take video too, but you can attach a external mic to it I dont think, and it records in mono I thin, you can check the specs

Here is the ad

Good lookin. What do you think of this in contrast? http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003ZYF3LO

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Im not a nikon guy, just mainly because I use canon, I have nothing against them, but I dont know much about them either. I think either one would be good for you, but you will want to upgrade them both one day if you really get into it, but the one on black friday sale has an extra lens the 75-300 which will give you a good zoom and a memory card and a bag to keep your camera safe, so you wont have to spend anything else.

Here is a comparison of the two cameras, this should help make your choice.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon_D3100

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
I dont use reflectors either, I want to get either the canon 1.4 or the sigma 1.4 I need a prime lens asap, I was on the all natural light wagon too, but the lack of any lens with an aperture under f/2.8 has me changing my tune, I think ima get a flash in a month or less, that or an 1.4 lens, most likely the flash tho since I will be taking a lighting class next semester.

You should be able to upload things to here I downloaded a 14 GB file from there once

https://mega.co.nz

:whew: I dont think I could ever pick up a lense that wouldnt let me open up bigger than 2.0 ever again... I got a wide lense Tokina that literally collects dust unless I bring it out for real estate..I stay having to use the tripod with it. That 50mm 1.4 was worth every penny...and I got it used on Amazon Marketplace.

That bokeh :blessed: :blessed: :blessed:

I forgot Mega got resurrected... I'll start using that.

@JoelB how you gettin' all these "models" son?

:ohhh:

Is shooting women your specialty or what you're going for?

Model Mayhem ... Had several chicks hit me up on there after I put this one up on my account..

THO4HPh.png

The asian chick and the other white girl were the most recent..

I like that artsy fashion photography lane, so Im using that site for experience. Learning how to give the model direction, composing the shot in your head using whatever is around you, etc and doing it over and over again as the sun moves since its all natural light... Pretty good learning experience cause it forces you to apply the exposure triangle on the fly :ehh:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
bt4Uo7q.jpg

Shot this at ISO 800 f/ 1.4 because I wanted to keep the grain down as much as possible. Still had to bump the exposure up a lot in Lightroom and the end product is still grainy as shyt :why: :snoop:

Times like this I be lookin at the 5d Mark III like :shaq: ... I coulda put that bish at ISO 3200, snapped away and still could have went home with a clean file.

:manny: Its all good tho
I think you would have been just fine at 1600.
I mean you're shooting digital...why not take the extra sec and shoot it at 1600, 3200 ISO just to have it there? I mean assuming it wouldn't slow you down too much.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I mean you're shooting digital...why not take the extra sec and shoot it at 1600, 3200 ISO just to have it there? I mean assuming it wouldn't slow you down too much.
I don't know, I usually don't even go higher than 800 myself. Every time I see a pic I shoot at 1600 on my monitor after the fact I just don't like the pic quality. I usually process those in B&W if it's a lot of grain.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't know, I usually don't even go higher than 800 myself. Every time I see a pic I shoot at 1600 on my monitor after the fact I just don't like the pic quality. I usually process those in B&W if it's a lot of grain.
I love the grain on black and white photos....from film though.
Tri-X on Ilford paper :smile:

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL

brehbreh...the ISO settings in my cam go like this

:ehh:
:ufdup:
:beli:
:scusthov:
:laff:

True story

Exactly...

once I see that grain, I desaturate like crazy or just go full b&w

I try to pull a @spinoza type image out of my wack pictures cause my pride wont let me delete it :dead:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
:whew: I dont think I could ever pick up a lense that wouldnt let me open up bigger than 2.0 ever again... I got a wide lense Tokina that literally collects dust unless I bring it out for real estate..I stay having to use the tripod with it. That 50mm 1.4 was worth every penny...and I got it used on Amazon Marketplace.

That bokeh :blessed: :blessed: :blessed:

I forgot Mega got resurrected... I'll start using that.

Model Mayhem ... Had several chicks hit me up on there after I put this one up on my account..

THO4HPh.png

The asian chick and the other white girl were the most recent..

I like that artsy fashion photography lane, so Im using that site for experience. Learning how to give the model direction, composing the shot in your head using whatever is around you, etc and doing it over and over again as the sun moves since its all natural light... Pretty good learning experience cause it forces you to apply the exposure triangle on the fly :ehh:
modelmayhem is a gem. my homie use to use it for models and ass... LOL

1600 iso unless aperature and sutter speed are shot perfect right out the camera = automatic black and white shot for me with a 3100.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Here is the ad

also its really not that bad buying a used camera, just have to know what to look for, and it can save you mad money