Essential The Official Photography Thread

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand it how I would like to, I'm still learning though. You have any tips or guides to help better understand them?
Well each effects how much light gets to the camera...ISO determines how fast the camera absorbs lights. Aperture is how wide the lens is open, a more open lens means more light.
NOTE: with aperture, the lower the aperture number for example f/1.2 means that it is opened up wide, and a high number aperture like f/32 means its a tiny hole so not much light can get in, and lastly there is shutter speed...this is just how fast the shutter is, a slower shutter allows for most light to come in.

Okay now that that is out of the way, Aperture controls your depth of field (DOF)...a low aperture will give you a shallow DOF think one thing in focus and everything is is blured, you might want this for portraits.. a high aperture will mean more things are in focus, this is good for landscapes. Most lenses are sharpest at f/8.
f-stops.jpg

With shutter speed, a slow shutter will allows for things lie light streams, because the shutter is open while motion is happening it captures everything. a quick shutter will freeze the motion think a humming birds wings. as the shutter gets slower you will need a tripod to get usable photos or night shots. Shutter speeds on your cam probably says 60..500..1000..etc. this is really 1/60 of a second 1/500 of a sec and 1/1000 of a second the higher the number the faster it is. I can shot about 1/6-1/10 of a sec handheld at the slowest, but I try to avoid it. Lights and water and some of the things that shutter can effect how the picture shows up.

a60c414d2412a5506d5caf3cf8e7e10f.jpg
ShutterSpeed_Waterfall.jpg

With ISO, this controls the amount of noise or grain in your picture, of course you dont want any in your pics, but in order for you to get the aperture or shutter speed you want you will have to adjust the ISO, for example on thrusday I was trying to shoot humming birds, and even tho it was bright sun out I put my iso to 800-1600 so that I could get a 1/8000 shutter to try to frezze the wings, or if you dont have a lot of light and you want to take pics of a group of people, a low aperture will allow enough light in, but most likely only one person will be in focus, so you might up the iso so that you can get a higher aperture.
ISO_2.jpg

Added some pics

Being able to master these will just give you the option to control how the photos come out...

Also, if you are shooting a portrait, put you focus point on the eye

Also again different cameras have different ISO performance, so you might want to look into the camera you want performance when it comes to iso, I know when I have the T3 1600 was probably the highest I could have, and even then it would come out iffy, this shot was at 4000 ISO at 1/10 of a sec, now its not the cleanest pic, but the lighting was really bad, and it was at a restaurant downtown San Diego and flash was not an option, so if I still had the T3 I would have been shyt out of luck...like I said it wasnt the best pic, but it was workable
vrpy8m.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
I got a few thing's i'm gonna get too and add to this thread again. Here's a shot I got of a small gallery while it was cleared out. The show was in honor of the dude in the blue pic on the ground. I think they're gonna use this pic for promotional use.

10662555235_09bffc087a_c.jpg

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I got a few thing's i'm gonna get too and add to this thread again. Here's a shot I got of a small gallery while it was cleared out. The show was in honor of the dude in the blue pic on the ground. I think they're gonna use this pic for promotional use.

10662555235_09bffc087a_c.jpg
Will it be used for an E-mail blast, or flyers?

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Will it be used for an E-mail blast, or flyers?

Not sure. It's a non-profit and pretty much organization of a group of young minority artist. I just kinda fixed the pic up a little and emailed it to the organizer letting her know she can do what she wants with it if she feels so. But she said she'll use it. Not sure in what way, but it's all good.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Not sure. It's a non-profit and pretty much organization of a group of young minority artist. I just kinda fixed the pic up a little and emailed it to the organizer letting her know she can do what she wants with it if she feels so. But she said she'll use it. Not sure in what way, but it's all good.
That's good you get to get your work out there.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
That's good you get to get your work out there.

Yeah man, this yr has been going unexpectedly good with the camera gig. I co-shot a 6hr indoor music festival Friday night. A looot of dope underground acts and the footage came out good and even better- I don't have to edit shyt! About a month ago I recorded 2 interviews with melvin Van Peebles and just shot pics for the NYC marathon earlier today. Music festival was a nice pay-day though. But yeah man, this photography shyt has gotten me into recording shyt and they both gotten me into some great circles. I kinda stay low-key about it because it's starting to interfere with my day job so I've had to turn down offers to shoot with people. The camera dude I work with a majority of times just helped and wrapped up shooting for the new spike lee movie that Spike was getting money from via kickstarter.

I just maintain good relationships with people, and show up for shyt on time lol.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yeah man, this yr has been going unexpectedly good with the camera gig. I co-shot a 6hr indoor music festival Friday night. A looot of dope underground acts and the footage came out good and even better- I don't have to edit shyt! About a month ago I recorded 2 interviews with melvin Van Peebles and just shot pics for the NYC marathon earlier today. Music festival was a nice pay-day though. But yeah man, this photography shyt has gotten me into recording shyt and they both gotten me into some great circles. I kinda stay low-key about it because it's starting to interfere with my day job so I've had to turn down offers to shoot with people. The camera dude I work with a majority of times just helped and wrapped up shooting for the new spike lee movie that Spike was getting money from via kickstarter.

I just maintain good relationships with people, and show up for shyt on time lol.
Sounds great, my sister keeps pushing me to start taking on jobs, I shot some for my friend this past weekend, but I have very little experience shooting people, but I am so busy with school, My chem class has like a 30% pass rate at my school, so i am trying to focus on that, and math is a higher unit course than chem, but not so hard..im working my ass off because I am trying to get this scholarship so I can go to spain in the summer. It's hard cuz I hav about $2500 worth or gear, but im not doing much with it, I think come December ill start shooting more. Try to get out to Chicago, or maybe do some jobs for free so I can gain experience, but I dont want to be a photographer like that, I just do it for fun, but it is money to be made

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Ahhh you still in school. I remember the stress of that shyt. Goddamn I was happy as fuk when i graduated college. But my time is pretty much split into work, my girl and these gigs. It just happened the more I been with my girl the more things are starting to pop off for me. We spoke about splitting from NYC and going back to Cali(where she's from) or maybe attempting to spend sometime in Australia where her bro has a great job for some banking organization and might be able to hook me up. But I'm developing a pretty good circle out here now and the Australia move is off my radar now.

I won't even lie those artsy circles have the coolest chiks in them, and they look good. Ya stuff in here is dope, I just be mad lazy on the daps in here lol. You can make dough, but you just gonna go thru the pains of people promising to hook you up with gigs, working with ignorant people trying to short change you and then you'll get the feel of the type of people and jobs you wanna take on. But definitely keep positive relationships with people you enjoyed working with. Networking is the key and I'm learning that. Maaaan I can't even calculate how much gear I've bought and don't use.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
Check this documentary out if you haven't already. This chik I know from Iceland who went to school for photography put me onto game.

No version with english subtitles...but still good regardless.