Essential The Official Photography Thread

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's a great camera. I just want to try something different and, objectively, better. After seeing the depth of pictures from my friend's Nikon DSLR, I've decided to step it up a little bit more. While I can take great photos with the GF2, I still want better. I've heard nothing but great things about the nex.

I believe I'm a fairly good photographer so I won't consider it lack of skill with the instrument. Just want to try something different.

Seems like it would be a lateral change to me (you'll lose the pop-up flash that the GF2 has)... I shoot with the 5N myself, but if I were to switch/upgrade, I would pick something that has a viewfinder and built-in flash.

Have you looked at the NEX6? Or is that out of your price range?

Outside of the bump in MPs from 12 to 16 from the GF2 to the 5N I'm not sure it would be worth it. Just my take.

Only thing that I think I would miss on the 6 is the lack of touch screen. But it has everything else you would want in a compact cam IMO.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK

Dyse

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Seems like it would be a lateral change to me (you'll lose the pop-up flash that the GF2 has)... I shoot with the 5N myself, but if I were to switch/upgrade, I would pick something that has a viewfinder and built-in flash.

Have you looked at the NEX6? Or is that out of your price range?

Outside of the bump in MPs from 12 to 16 from the GF2 to the 5N I'm not sure it would be worth it. Just my take.

Only thing that I think I would miss on the 6 is the lack of touch screen. But it has everything else you would want in a compact cam IMO.

Thanks for the heads up and input. I'll do a bit more research

I looked into the 6 but yeah it's a bit out of range right now. I figured I could get the 5n for the same price as what I sell the GF2 for, even though the lens add a lot more value to it. The GF2 seems to be losing value compared to the Nex, also.

I'm just seeing a lot of the depth in a few of the flickr photos that I don't seem to get with my GF2. Despite the fact that a lot of them are DSLRs, I was hoping to find something that could give comparable depth without editing and every site raves about the nex.

Flickr: sleep tålk's Photostream

This guy for instance is dope.

It looks like it's film for the most part but one of his pics looks like it's shot with the olympus m4/3There were a few whistles in the nex that caught my eye like the stabilization, panorama and a few other things.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Thanks for the heads up and input. I'll do a bit more research

I looked into the 6 but yeah it's a bit out of range right now. I figured I could get the 5n for the same price as what I sell the GF2 for, even though the lens add a lot more value to it. The GF2 seems to be losing value compared to the Nex, also.

I'm just seeing a lot of the depth in a few of the flickr photos that I don't seem to get with my GF2. Despite the fact that a lot of them are DSLRs, I was hoping to find something that could give comparable depth without editing and every site raves about the nex.

Flickr: sleep tålk's Photostream

This guy for instance is dope.

It looks like it's film for the most part but one of his pics looks like it's shot with the olympus m4/3There were a few whistles in the nex that caught my eye like the stabilization, panorama and a few other things.

WTF thats my homeboy? :whoo:

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Yooooo, I'm gonna sell my 70-200mm lens and gonna get the fujix100s...how's the video on it? How long can it record without stopping?

This would be a great cam to take with me to Europe and possibly Asia in November. Especially with it being full frame!

Im not sure about the video but im sure theres information on google. Congrats on the x100s though, youll love it.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This would be a great cam to take with me to Europe and possibly Asia in November. Especially with it being full frame!

You're talking about the equivalent focal length being like a full frame 35mm?

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
yeah....my 60d kinda frustrates me because of it being cropped.

x100s isnt full frame either, its cropped. the 23mm lens is equivalent to 35mm.

But it has the dynamic range of a full frame camera so pictures and colors come out looking way more realistic.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
x100s isnt full frame either, its cropped. the 23mm lens is equivalent to 35mm.

But it has the dynamic range of a full frame camera so pictures and colors come out looking way more realistic.

:ohhh:....but 35mm is pretty much the average point and shoot cam view no?

Quick question...is there zoom on this cam?

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I like my crop censor, it gives me added range, since I like to shoot birds. To my understanding the main thing a full frame is going to give you is better wide angle shots and less noise at a higher ISO.

But with a crop sensor, non L (luxury for canon) cheaper lenses perform better than a full frame... My brother in law has the 5d mark 3, and while I would do a swap if it was presented, I would be very hesitant to do so, I wouldnt want to give up a faster camera with more zoom for a "Professional" camera. I think sell the 5d re buy the 7d and grab an L lens