Essential The Official Photography Thread

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The only full frame camera that's around the size as the x100/x100s is the Sony RX1... and that bytch is like 3 stacks without a viewfinder

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I like my crop censor, it gives me added range, since I like to shoot birds. To my understanding the main thing a full frame is going to give you is better wide angle shots and less noise at a higher ISO.

But with a crop sensor, non L (luxury for canon) cheaper lenses perform better than a full frame... My brother in law has the 5d mark 3, and while I would do a swap if it was presented, I would be very hesitant to do so, I wouldnt want to give up a faster camera with more zoom for a "Professional" camera. I think sell the 5d re buy the 7d and grab an L lens

Its not really more zoom your just only seeing the center of the picture.

full-frame-crop-factor.jpg

It really doesn't matter at the amateur level though, even professional level unless your shooting sports or something where you need crazy fps.

My next camera is going to be a nikon d800 or a hasselblad 500cm. Im kind of leaning towards the hasselblad because I wouldn't really be taking it outside the studio and Medium Format > Full Frame.

Chris Mauro

Banned
Daps
I got a Nikon D3100 for sale if anyone is interested

copped it cause I wanted to start shooting as a hobby, but never really had any desire to do so.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Its not really more zoom your just only seeing the center of the picture.

full-frame-crop-factor.jpg

It really doesn't matter at the amateur level though, even professional level unless your shooting sports or something where you need crazy fps.

My next camera is going to be a nikon d800 or a hasselblad 500cm. Im kind of leaning towards the hasselblad because I wouldn't really be taking it outside the studio and Medium Format > Full Frame.

It is more zoom, just not more MM/distance you get a zoomed subject. I can frame what I want with my 100% view finder, and not have to crop later. with a full frame I will have to zoom as far as I can and then crop the picture to get it how I want it if I were to be limited by the lens. which can suck when trying to capture a humming bird, the details wont be as great with a full frame croped picture vs a crop sensors if they were the same MP, I go to the zoo a lot so I get more distance then I could ever with full frame, I need the fast fps for BIF plus its good for kids sporting events, I have a lot of nieces and nephews

apscfullframe.jpg

You get closer, which is good unless you want to do landscapes, then you will be really limited with a crop sensors, unless you get like a 10-22mm lens. Also prime lens can be a pain to use if they are too long 75-100mm, you are pretty much stuck to portraits, not to many group shots indoors. There are pros and cons with both.

Note: not saying closer is better, you compose your shot how you see fit, but for me I would much rather be limited on the short side than the long

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
It is more zoom, just not more MM/distance you get a zoomed subject. I can frame what I want with my 100% view finder, and not have to crop later. with a full frame I will have to zoom as far as I can and then crop the picture to get it how I want it if I were to be limited by the lens. which can suck when trying to capture a humming bird, the details wont be as great with a full frame croped picture vs a crop sensors if they were the same MP, I go to the zoo a lot so I get more distance then I could ever with full frame, I need the fast fps for BIF plus its good for kids sporting events, I have a lot of nieces and nephews

apscfullframe.jpg

You get closer, which is good unless you want to do landscapes, then you will be really limited with a crop sensors, unless you get like a 10-22mm lens. Also prime lens can be a pain to use if they are too long 75-100mm, you are pretty much stuck to portraits, not to many group shots indoors. There are pros and cons with both.

Note: not saying closer is better, you compose your shot how you see fit, but for me I would much rather be limited on the short side than the long

If you took the pic with the full frame and cropped it...you probably would still have a better resolution picture than than the non cropped version on a crop sensor. (depending on what cameras were comparing)

I get what you are trying to say though and for you its less work and makes things easier. Oh and by the way if you ever use live view you can zoom in more (by enlarging the image in the live view window) while your shooting.

Dyse

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Highly considering the Fuji x100 after seeing the pics it takes.

The only double edged sword is that it isn't m4/3 or interchangable. I do enjoy the flexibility of lens and a zoom. Any other thoughts on the x100 is appreciated.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
@spinoza, i'm reading about the fuji, I keep seeing the auto-focus is pretty slow. But some people are extremely picky about stuff. Do you feel its too slow? would you say a majority of the time u wished it was faster?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

The only double edged sword is that it isn't m4/3 or interchangable. I do enjoy the flexibility of lens and a zoom. Any other thoughts on the x100 is appreciated.

What are they going for used?

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
2ytwnld.jpg

It took me a minute with fixing this pic...I took a few with her on the brooklyn bridge at like 11:30pm...took some pics, mostly with the flash. This was one of the few without the flash and I liked it the best, but was dark as fuk. Had to deal with some color and exposure issues editing with this one.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps

:gladbron:

Another NEX shooter on the team...

I have the 5N. I would have gotten the 6 but it wasn't out when I went on my honeymoon. I was thinking about selling the 5N and even getting the 6, but with all the rumors of the next successor for the 7 by the end of the year I just said I'll chill. And yeah I have the Sigma 30mm, it's a nice sharp lens. Even at 2.8 it's sharp.

That Zeiss is too much for me though, can't drop that much on a lens when the body was only like 478 when I copped. But that shyt takes lovely pics. You'll rarely need flash with that one. I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens too. Great in low light conditions.

I'm thinking about selling my NEX-3 and at least getting a 5 or something. I can't even remote trigger the shutter with this thing. But its still a good camera and the resale should be decent.

But that's all on the photographer. That's @spinoza and his style + editing. You coppin the camera aint gonna make your pics look like his.

btw, this pic came up on tumblr and looks like some shyt spinoza would take (NSFW)

tumblr_miya9fCtBg1ryvaqeo1_500.jpg

:whoo:

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
damn yall dudes bringing back memories of when i was in art school. back then it was more of dealing with the f-stop and what have you. what would you guys recommend as far as cameras when you just starting out?

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
But that's all on the photographer. That's @spinoza and his style + editing. You coppin the camera aint gonna make your pics look like his.

btw, this pic came up on tumblr and looks like some shyt spinoza would take (NSFW)

tumblr_miya9fCtBg1ryvaqeo1_500.jpg

:whoo:

Dope pic but thats my old style, looks like an outtake from a weekend video. Im switching it up though and going less pop/tumblr and more fine art. I'm trying to be in magazines and in art galleries. Its all about finding the perfect balance.

This guy is my fav photographer right now :ohlawd:

Flickr: spassk's Photostream