The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
4 black women in a scene. 1 congresswoman, 1 lawyer, 1 detective and 1 inspector, and the scene has nothing to do with them being black, just being professionals in their fields. So dope. And they are all fine as wine in their own way.

I've only watch the 1st 2 ep's and something doesn't really sit right with me about it.

I guess some of it seem's forced and fake. Like they're trying to make a 80's/90/2000 black gangster super hero movie.

I can't tell if I'm watching shaft, the wire or a super hero joint.

Also every that use's nikka out side of mahershala/cottonmouth sounds mad awkward. Its clear its not in there vocabulary much at all.

I feel the same way about them saying nikka. I felt like this show would have been the perfect time to leave it out of the common vocab. Especially being a marvel product. But it doesn't ruin the show. As far as feeling like an exploitation film, I didn't feel that until about ep. 7. I thought the visuals of the first 4-5 episodes were fukkin sick. Cottonmouths scenes in that club were so dope. Hype Williams inspired imo.

I definitely get the feel of the Wire and Shaft and later, the superhero joint. I think it's a good blend of it all. I think the comic was built from Blaxplotation so it's kinda the feel it should have in modern day. I hope you find yourself enjoying it. I'm beyond pleased with it.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Oh shyt:snoop:at me not realizing
Episode 6 was Trish Walker talking on the radio I forgot about her show on JJ series.

I didn't expect Fisks scumbag lawyer to come through for Cotton mouth :whoo:I wonder if he's been keeping tabs on this situation in Harlem :patrice:?. Claire was just about to tell Cage about Matt too dammnit we're getting close to that Defenders action :banderas:

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished it up, and I really liked it...but i'm glad people are echoing my sentiments as far as the dialogue feeling a bit stilted, and stiff. I saw the words preachy and ham fisted and I was like "yes, exactly, my coli nikkas". And the action was quite off at times. The show felt like a crazy amalgamation of The Wire, New York Undercover, Blaxploitation flicks and...fukking Meteor Man. It felt like a movie made in the 90s...that wanted to pay homage to the Blaxploitation genre. It was interesting. I really WOULD be interested in seeing who wrote the dialogue. It felt like someone who hasn't been in the ho

The character work really did hold it together. I felt Daredevil and Jessica Jones had higher highs, but with those shows I felt like they sputtered to the finish. Cage is to me, not the best, but the most consistent of these shows.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Finished it up, and I really liked it...but i'm glad people are echoing my sentiments as far as the dialogue feeling a bit stilted, and stiff. I saw the words preachy and ham fisted and I was like "yes, exactly, my coli nikkas". And the action was quite off at times. The show felt like a crazy amalgamation of The Wire, New York Undercover, Blaxploitation flicks and...fukking Meteor Man. It felt like a movie made in the 90s...that wanted to pay homage to the Blaxploitation genre. It was interesting. I really WOULD be interested in seeing who wrote the dialogue. It felt like someone who hasn't been in the ho

The character work really did hold it together. I felt Daredevil and Jessica Jones had higher highs, but with those shows I felt like they sputtered to the finish. Cage is to me, not the best, but the most consistent of these shows.
Agreed with the bolded.
after Cottonmouth died, it took a big chunk of the excitement away. He was such an eccentric, yet down to earth villian. Complex. So much going on with his character. Then when they put Stryker in, he was over the top. Threw off the balance of the story and accelerated the drama a little too much. Cottonmouth should have been the entire first season at the very least. Great character, and great visuals followed his character.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
No, it seems kinda cheap but I'm early on.

I'm up to the 3rd episode. I have high hopes for the show but I have a few criticisms.

Same problem I had with Dope where they seem to use actors who sound like they've never said nikka in their life.

The dialogue is kinda weird, too. I'm interested to see who's writing this. And it's writing the characters to be a bit contradictory in their actions.

It's preachy as hell which I wouldn't mind if it weren't so stilted and ham-fisted

Luke Cage needs to get more interesting pretty soon.

Misty is fine as hell but her dialogue stands out the most to me as a little too try-hard.

Now the good things. There are some distractingly good camera shots.

Cottonmouth is currently my favorite part of the show. That laugh gets me every time.

Turk Barrett's cameo. I nearly died when he showed up asking for his money.

The music.

Alfre Woodard is elevating the material.

Here's hoping all those things are ironed out a bit.+

I feel like this 98%
NtpNDx.gif

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Got to keep it 100 about Cottonmouth.

EP. 9

He was a chump like Stringer Bell and was getting squeezed and played by everyone around him from the first ep. He was never going to be king with how he acted. Diamondback on the other hand :wow:, you can see why people respect the name :wow: . Came in like The Punisher in his first ep and then the Joker in his second, bringing in Military Hummers and Guns :whoo:, biggest fish of the pond stuff right there aint no one competing with that