The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
I know a lot of people dont like this episode because it's slow, but this is the kind of character development the show needs. It's great. It helps tone down the drama for a while, while letting the story continue to develop. Minor setback for a major comeup. The lack of this type of development is what made me begin to resent shows like Power and SOA.

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Watching ep #3 and the fight scene is straight but it feels a little...cheap? You have dudes flying through walls and ceilings but Luke's kicks and punches don't seem dynamic enough. Maybe that's on purpose or the editing?

No, it seems kinda cheap but I'm early on.

I'm up to the 3rd episode. I have high hopes for the show but I have a few criticisms.

Same problem I had with Dope where they seem to use actors who sound like they've never said nikka in their life.

The dialogue is kinda weird, too. I'm interested to see who's writing this. And it's writing the characters to be a bit contradictory in their actions.

It's preachy as hell which I wouldn't mind if it weren't so stilted and ham-fisted

Luke Cage needs to get more interesting pretty soon.

Misty is fine as hell but her dialogue stands out the most to me as a little too try-hard.

Now the good things. There are some distractingly good camera shots.

Cottonmouth is currently my favorite part of the show. That laugh gets me every time.

Turk Barrett's cameo. I nearly died when he showed up asking for his money.

The music.

Alfre Woodard is elevating the material.

Here's hoping all those things are ironed out a bit.+

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
that explosion was fukking terrible! The graphics look like something out spawn! Have better graphics on Arrow and the Flash But the fact he used a rocket launcher is fukking great

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Skeewee :russ:

Really loved this show...
Paid a lot of homage to the 70s blaxploitation films while keeping it updated even down to the subtle/not subtle wardrobe..
Wanted to see Cottonmouth last longer but overall satisfied with the first season.
Anybody get the NY Undercover vibe while watching this..
Ms. Woodard is an acting beast...

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've only watch the 1st 2 ep's and something doesn't really sit right with me about it.

I guess some of it seem's forced and fake. Like they're trying to make a 80's/90/2000 black gangster super hero movie.

I can't tell if I'm watching shaft, the wire or a super hero joint.

Also every that use's nikka out side of mahershala/cottonmouth sounds mad awkward. Its clear its not in there vocabulary much at all.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Paid a lot of homage to the 70s blaxploitation films while keeping it updated even down to the subtle/not subtle wardrobe..
Wanted to see Cottonmouth last longer but overall satisfied with the first season.
Anybody get the NY Undercover vibe while watching this..

But this mashup makes it so damned cool... I can see exactly what theyre trying to do by having all these little influences and homages...

Jessica Jones had her Noir/Psychological Thriller roots we got this... :ehh: I'm happy this show exists, its beautiful... Its soul, funk,R&B & hiphop combined with Blaxpoitation & Crime story into a #BlackExcellence superhero gumbo...:banderas: