The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I mean yea. Again, this is a comic book universe where nikkas got capes and power flying suits and aliens comes from the sky. I guess it doesn't bother me because I expect a bit of a ridiculousness out of this cuz that's how comic books are. I know the Netflix series are more grounded in "reality" ie how would normal people react to all the super power beings and how they accept and adapt to it but I understand the comic book format. The villains will looks silly in power suits and act a bit over the top. Still doesn't take away from the great acting he did with Diamondback. Cottonmouth was no threat to Luke. He had no powers and his men were idiots even for goons and henchmen. Diamondback even without the suit, was the first to actually hurt Luke and proved to be a bigger threat to everyone including Mariah, shades and Harlem at large. That's what was missing from the first half the season. The big bad.

Totally agree. Yeah, it only took me about an ep to get acclimated to the tonal change with Diamondback's inclusion. When he initially came in with the Warrior's line, it did throw me off a bit, but each ep. afterwards, he just grew in greater scale to me, showing his lunacy and homage to blaxploitation full-heartedly. I think the actor did a great job in conveying all of that and going full throttle with the character. It was over-the-top in a good way. Every line and action he was doing either showed him to be Joker-esq mad and calculating, brutal, bad ass and funny as fukk at times.

The dude that acts as Shade is a fukking terrible actor.

Nah, I disagree. Haven't seen him in anything else I know of prior (never watch an ounce of SoA), but he played his role here pretty damn good.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Shades was trying to position a figurehead he could control. He tried to manipulate Cottonmouth and Diamondback but they weren't having it, that's why he wanted to build up Mariah. He was working her before her cousin died and positioned himself to take Cottonmouth's spot after his death only for Diamondback to come in and run it himself. He started questioning him around that time which is why the hit was put out on him. Diamondback saw him for what he was and so did Cottonmouth, which is why they never fully trusted him.

I hear you. I still think he wants to be a #2 tho, just calling the shots out/manipulating the boss tho, whomever he chooses to work for.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Dude ain't kill a damn thing. Easily the worst actor in the series.

Nah, the worse actor was that kid Chico, lol. Ionno how some of ya'll find Shades acting bad. Same with Mariah or Diamondback, as I've read some folks say here and elsewhere, yet moreso I've read from critics that they were among the best, to which I agree. I think some of ya'll confuse ya'lls possible dislike of how a character is written to be played and attribute that to the fault of the actor as "bad acting".

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
there been a lot of article about the racial politics or white people not getting the show some it feels like click bait cause they all quote the same two or three tweets but here my take on it

First off cheo_coker should be lauded for the writing because the characters he was given were very campy/broad and he made them real people. He had a harder job then #daredevil and #Jessicajones creative team cause no one done realistic take on #lukecage side characters like they did with the others.

I like the acting and actors on Luke Cage a lot; But it's a culture I grew up around and in so I understand it. I think our lack of empathy for one another cause a lot of the discord we have. If you never get exposed to other cultures or experiences you just can't wrap your head around some else normal. I think if Luke Cage is the first time your seeing a naturalistic take on a black community it would be jarring , But it shows how little we truly try to get to know each other and see how others live.

Some parts are boring and a little shabby done. The special effects are crap compared to like The Flash. (Cotton Mouth rocket launcher, Luke getting hit by the car, etc

But all the marvel series have pacing issues.the 13 episode format is too much for these shows to handle.

Do we need to see foggy yell at matt or Matt pray again? Do we need to see Jessica argue about weather to kill Killgrave or get passed out drunk again? Do we need a music video in the middle of a Luke Cage episode? Do we need misty dumb look at the picture and be there for five minutes?

I only seen the first six though

Last edited:

Kang Deezy

Overall Nice Guy
Daps
Reppin
The stoop with dat dope fanny padding
That cac that plays shades gotta go:camby:

Producers replaced a brother that supposed to have the job of intimidating minion with some short ass annoying cac:scust:

You can tell this shyt was written by a white guy when the black chick said "i plead the 7th":wtf: as if everyone don't know its the 5th
hate on the white boy?

That's racist,

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
On episode 8. Best Marvel show yet. Also, Rosario Dawson constantly popping up in these shows is :mjlol:. Always creeping and popping around the corner: "What are you doing, Luke? Gonna quit and leave town?" *storms off*

That Claire/Misty interrogation room scene though :whew: :shaq:

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
hate on the white boy?

That's racist,
Breh he takes off the shades all corny n shyt, tryna be intimidating but it fails cuz he's short in stature. You can tell the producers cac'd this up. And it aint a white boy thing cuz the cops played their roles well but Shades, along with the writing at times, is WACK AF.

"I plead the 7th":wtf: worst writing i done ever seen:why:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
The actor himself interpreted it as that so :manny:
Actors always need to find the heart in their characters or they might as well be playing a robot. He can say what he likes but his performance didn't support it nor the writing. Perfect opportunity was when Luke lamented over willis's mother, he just wouldn't let go of the rage/hate

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Just finished watching all the episodes. Went in not knowing too much about Luke Cage. Definitely enjoyed every episode. The atmosphere, characters, story line and music had a great synergy together! It felt a bit more...rugged than JJ and DD. One thing that surprised me about this show is Claire's development. I really enjoyed how far she's come and how much stronger she is. Man....this show is :wow: That

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Muthafukkas cant tell white people from hispanic people

The Coli and their Iowa ways :deadmanny: