The Official Memphis, Tennessee Thread

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What them opportunities looking like for a young IT professional in Memphis, Tenn, brehs?

I have been getting this look lately at the corporate level when they find out i'm black :beli: I want to try Nashville.

last time I got shut down was at Fedex corporate campus in collierville for a basic entry level site support, seems like they give all the CAC's the permanent position and give all the minorities the temporary warehouse IT position.

:yeshrug: some folks may have better luck

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

:mjgrin:

mrz.png

:russ:

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
What’s the news out there B? Met some fine Memphis sistahs in Queens a few weeks back. They told me to come visit if I was into bbq and black businesses but if I was on some tourist sh*t to visit Nashville.

City is growing or still has issues?
My people stay out there so I visit often. It’s growing but a lot of political corruption so it will get worse before it gets better. But with very little paper u can live really well.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Nows the time they are gentrifying the downtown area daily
I know I wasn't trippin when I was constantly meeting all those wealthy white folks that came from states like Oregon, Maine, nebraska etc living downtown. They really are gentrifying downtown.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I know I wasn't trippin when I was constantly meeting all those wealthy white folks that came from states like Oregon, Maine, nebraska etc living downtown. They really are gentrifying downtown.

There’s a multimillion dollar project that just got announced for downtown on union ave. They’re buying up a lot of the buildings by red bird stadium and fedexfofum (the huge Lit building and that slummy hotel for starters) and turning them into condos/apartments and other businesses. It’s gonna be a good look from the sketches I saw.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I have been getting this look lately at the corporate level when they find out i'm black :beli: I want to try Nashville.

last time I got shut down was at Fedex corporate campus in collierville for a basic entry level site support, seems like they give all the CAC's the permanent position and give all the minorities the temporary warehouse IT position.

:yeshrug: some folks may have better luck

That’s disheartening to hear since I’m studying IT but I’m not surprised. I attended an IT event at hatiloo for blacks and Latinos in tech. It was motivational and I like what they are trying to do..but the way shyt is set up here I figured relocation would definitely have to be an option.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Dorsey Hopson's plan to close 28 Shelby County schools over 10 years: 5 key points

JENNIFER PIGNOLET | MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL | 1:37 pm CST December 12, 2018
icon-sms_24.svg

76d0aad1-85d2-4e13-b240-c746f317cc74-181120_TN_Dorsey_Hopson_Toned_0005.JPG

Dorsey Hopson resigns from SCS
MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL
Shelby County Schools Superintendent Dorsey Hopson presented a plan Tuesday night that would close 28 schools and build 10 new ones, likely over a period of about 10 years.

Here are five things to know about the proposal, which Hopson described as "preliminary."

33dc059b-84e7-4a51-aa69-547ab01f1a4a-181022_TN_WEARE901_Toned_0003.JPG

Shelby County Schools Superintendent Dorsey Hopson talks to A. B. Hill Elementary School students during the We Are 901 Celebration Tour stop Oct. 22, 2018. Hopson's last day as superintendent is Jan. 8.
BRAD VEST/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL
1. Part of it is already underway
Of the 10 new schools and 28 closures, two buildings are already heading for construction, and four schools on the closure list will merge into those new buildings. The board previously approved, and the county agreed to fund, new buildings for Alcy and Goodlett elementary schools.

More: Shelby County Schools consolidation plan could close 28 schools, build 10 new ones

2. The plan would invest upward of $700 million in some of the most neglected neighborhoods in Memphis
Hopson's plan calls for new schools in areas such as Raleigh, Whitehaven, Orange Mound and Parkway Village. The dollar amount is not entirely unprecedented, if spread over a period of seven to 10 years. The Shelby County Commission this year allocated over $90 million to SCS for capital needs, including the new construction of Alcy and Goodlett.

The list: Here's the 28 schools that would close, 10 that would see new buildings under Hopson's plan

3. Students could be rezoned to new schools as early as next year
A significant portion of the plan includes rezoning students who, likely as a result of the merger five years ago with Memphis City Schools, are attending schools several miles away from their homes. Hopson said a goal of the plan is to move students to schools closer to their homes. The proposal includes 22 rezonings: 10 at the elementary level, eight at middle schools and four for high schools. At the high school level, Hopson said, students who are already enrolled and want to stay at their current school could stay until they graduate. But in the future, a chunk of homes zoned to Germantown High would be moved to Southwind High, and a section of White Station High would move to Melrose High.

4. The district has way more seats than students
About 17,000 seats across the district remain open. The district has 140 schools it runs directly and about $500 million in deferred maintenance projects. The county commission has long pushed for a comprehensive facilities plan in order to know when it's worth fixing a major, expensive issue like a roof or a boiler, and when it's best to move students out of a crumbling building. Hopson said the plan would save the district between $15 million and $25 million in operational costs each year by having more efficient buildings with fewer maintenance issues. Hopson said he'd recommend tearing down almost every school that would close.

5. Hopson is in a unique position to present this plan

The superintendent is on his way out, with his last day scheduled for Jan. 8. School closures are always politically difficult and often unpopular, meaning it would be hard for a new superintendent to propose such a wide-scale closure plan. "What do you call a superintendent that closes schools? ... A former superintendent," Hopson told the board Tuesday night. But if the board adopts the plan, Hopson's successor would be picking it up where he left off.

Reach Jennifer Pignolet at jennifer.pignolet@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @JenPignolet.

THE 9:01: Don't like Hopson's school closures plan? Blame Memphis City Schools

Originally Published 12:33 pm CST December 12, 2018
Updated 1:37 pm CST December 12, 2018
Dorsey Hopson's Shelby County school closure plan: 5 things to know

What do you guys think about this plan?