The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I think Parks' take on the college student thing is that the majority (over 50%) of college students come from affluent families and what income they have can be spent on having a good time and not on bills.

Now seeing that the vast majority of that demographic are white kids from rich families, I don't think he's wrong. But his wording was terrible.
Over 50% come from affluent families? Receipts please. (70%+ of high school graduates go to college, that would mean that 35%+ of Americans are wealthy maybe even 50%) And also receipts that all so-called affluent family let their kids ball out. From my experience the main difference is ending school debt free. Then factors such as spring break trips financed. While the everyday struggle might still exist to a certain degree. But like everything else there’s levels to struggle.

Last edited:

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
I was broke af but going out every fukking weekend getting wasted and chasing bytches...

I paid my rent, paid my bills... Rest of what I earnt was basically disposable income that I spent on going out to clubs, concerts, drugs etc. So parks has a point, I dunno if everyone got it tho

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
And mad kids are not. Somebody buying all that liquor and drugs

You think college kids aren’t broke cause they have $60 for an eighth and a bottle of Tito’s.

They can do that and still be broke for the same reason the package store in the hood stays boomin. College kids are 100% hand-to-mouth. I had an on campus job where I got like $180 every 2 weeks. Lemme get that check Friday and I’ll show you about $25 left by Monday morning

Either way the conversation is dumb. 90% of college kids are ‘broke’ in the sense that they aren’t spending their income to support artists extra shyt. shyt right now I throw these goons $5 a month to support the Patreon, I woulda never done that in college :mjlol: I wouldn’t have even done that for my favorite musician most likely, Rory mentioned the dollar and a dream tour Cole did for literally a dollar. College kids can support just not always with their money. Targeting them as a fanbase because you believe they have plenty of disposable income is one of the dumber things Parks has said, cause he’s usually a pretty sharp guy.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You can really see the industry politics shine through on this show. Mal defending Meek was laughable, but I get it: you want him on the show, you want to get invited to the studio, etc. Let's be real though. You can't argue "Meek has too many people around him to do xyz" when those same people sat around and did jack shyt while he:

-embarrassed himself in the Drake beef by greenlighting the release of one of the worst diss track of all time
-bleed money to team members/sycophants/DC who do jack shyt for him
-did dumb shyt that got him arrested while on probation
-say that Kobe line in the first place

His team BEEN weak, and they've BEEN enabling his destructive weirdo behavior. He's already on the path to musical irrelevance, and if he keeps trying to keep up with the spending of these new/hot cats he's gonna go broke soon. Facts.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
You can really see the industry politics shine through on this show. Mal defending Meek was laughable, but I get it: you want him on the show, you want to get invited to the studio, etc. Let's be real though. You can't argue "Meek has too many people around him to do xyz" when those same people sat around and did jack shyt while he:

-embarrassed himself in the Drake beef by greenlighting the release of one of the worst diss track of all time
-bleed money to team members/sycophants/DC who do jack shyt for him
-did dumb shyt that got him arrested while on probation
-say that Kobe line in the first place

His team BEEN weak, and they've BEEN enabling his destructive weirdo behavior. He's already on the path to musical irrelevance, and if he keeps trying to keep up with the spending of these new/hot cats he's gonna go broke soon. Facts.

Could be argued that most of their opinions are rooted in industry politics. They only seem to big up the people they have connections with. The show hasn't been great for a while, eventually interest is gonna fade unless they switch up the format and take the gloves off.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
I am late but Parks is 100% wrong about college students

Yeah my experience was more aligned with Rory's. Most of the people I hung out with in college were middle class at best and didn't have money to blow like that. At most you'd get a refund and maybe splurge a bit but most people I knew relied heavily on financial aid, part time jobs, and scholarships to stay afloat.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The broke college kid shyt is a myth. They eat like shyt because they don’t know how to cook.

Most college kids are on mommy and daddies dime with a pocket full of money they got from leftover tuition disbursements. Parks is 100% correct

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The broke college kid shyt is a myth. They eat like shyt because they don’t know how to cook.

Most college kids are on mommy and daddies dime with a pocket full of money they got from leftover tuition disbursements. Parks is 100% correct
:mjlol:

maybe white college kids. Not black college kids

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:mjlol:

maybe white college kids. Not black college kids

But who they’re talking about marketing to is white college kids. The vast majority of of kids in college are in PWI’s.

I grew up in a college town and the best concerts/shows i went to growing up were at the two local colleges