The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
We on the same page it seems. I fully agree that getting some ownership stake is never a bad thing. But like you said with the Jay example just having some stake doesn't make one a mogul or have any say. We just disagree on it being a big deal or not depending on how much actual stake he gets.

Yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not saying this is a heist or Joe is a business genius or any of that. He wasn’t very good at business yesterday and he still won’t be tomorrow :mjlol:

I’m not in here fighting for Joe as a mogul at all, all this started w/ crimsontider calling me a dikk eater for saying I’d pay em $5 a month to support:skip:

But as much as joe talks about ownership, I do think it’s worth it for us to look at what that actually means and looks like.

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup you’re right about several things here:

1. Most options do have a vesting schedule. So let’s say Joe gets 10,000 shares, I’d imagine that 2,500 of those or maybe half if he’s lucky will vest after the first year. If a company exits before your shares vest, then sometimes you get paid out as normal, sometimes your non-vested shares get converted into the new company stock (which may have a whole other vesting schedule in itself). At one of my prior tech exits, when news was announced I saw a bunch of co-workers who just got hired in the last 6 months like :why: because they knew all their options were unvested and they didn’t know wtf would happen to them.

2. Patreon being close to an IPO was absolutely taken into account by them I’m sure.

3. What you’re most right about, is that we don’t know yet. This could go poorly, Joe could become a disgruntled worker like he has everywhere else, maybe the fans don’t rock with em enough to throw money at em. These are all possibilities.

My posts have only been about the concept of stock options and ownership, since it’s something that Joe and this podcast speak about so often.

A stake in the company (even if small) is the exact type of ownership Joe always bytches about. It’s why he didn’t take 20M from Spotify.

People wanna act like this is nothing but said Jay-Z was a mogul because he owned .002% of the Nets :aicmon: When in reality Patreon has a higher valuation than the Nets even did at that time.

If you know you know ! *Pusha T voice*

I think I was in the wrong thread making all my points about how Joe could make a killing if this deal goes right. This guy gets it!

I think a vesting schedule works for someone like Joe. It usually takes him 3-5 years to him to fukk up so hopefully that will be after his stock vests :russ:. I also think equity was totally considered as part of his deal... Patreon are heavily promoting his role and ultimately this is a growth strategy for them - to show creators they can make money buy being in a company that values share ownership, is positive. The more established creators using Patreon the better. High valued creators will choose Patreon if they can get a stake in it (I suspect this is the new model they will focus on for the 1% top tier of Patreon members).

blockburna420

Consecutive thumbs up
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If he fukk this bag up , he worse than Ja rule Fyre festival status... It oughta be a crime to fukk up that many bags :ufdup:

Got Rory , Mal and Parks out here looking like Namond , Dukie and Randy:yeshrug:

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
:dwillhuh:

I am not hating. More curious than anything else.

Joe makes up titles for himself all the time, he even admitted that shyt in his patreon rant today.

I even said a few posts later, if this is real and he can help creators get more money its a W for all creators.

Joe called himself the "Chief Culture Director" at both Complex and Spotify. Titles don't mean ish:pachaha:.

Mf'ers writing long dissertations on other ppls business. Some of yall got wayyyy too much time in your hands

That's the thing. Joe puts us in his and other people's business and makes it a focal point of almost every show since Everyday Struggle. He feels like he's "taking us along for his journey for creative freedom."

We wouldn't have even know about Spotify negotiations if Joe didn't discuss it for hours. He really just talks too much about his business:yeshrug:

CHERUB

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:dwillhuh:

I am not hating. More curious than anything else.

Joe makes up titles for himself all the time, he even admitted that shyt in his patreon rant today.

I even said a few posts later, if this is real and he can help creators get more money its a W for all creators.

You can be curious and still say some hating ass shyt fam which you did. Neither one of us gonna lose sleep over tho
over it tho

scorpino

Love Yourz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was kind of in and out of this podcast so I might be wrong but Mal and Parks didn’t seem too excited about being on Patreon. Also the way Joe pronounces patreon is annoying. With all that said they have a huge following and will probably make some good money on patreon

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
:sas2:

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/360236/spotify-sees-30-q4-ad-revs-gains-as-podcast-grow.html

Spotify, the audio streaming company, witnessed another strong quarter in terms of ad-supported platform metrics -- up nearly 30% in revenues and monthly active users in the fourth quarter of 2020.

The company says it earned $338 million in the period -- which over-delivered on an earlier forecast. Much of this coming from its podcast, direct and ad studio channels.

Spotify says it saw double-digit-percentage growth for its podcast CPMs, the cost per thousand users, as well as a 50% increase in the number of companies spending on podcasts, versus Q3 2020.

Monthly average users for the ad-supported platform was up 29%, from 153 million in the fourth quarter of 2019 to 199 million in the fourth quarter of 2020.

“We saw strong year-over-year revenue growth across all of our regions and channels as advertiser demand continued to rebound from second quarter 2020 lows,” the company stated.

Its premium, ad-free subscription businesses commanding the bulk of its business grew more slowly, up 15% year-over-year to $2.3 billion in revenue. Premium subscribers grew 24% to 155 million.

Total revenue climbed 17% to $2.6 billion. Operating net loss narrowed to $82.9 million from $92.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2019.