The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
I haven't made it through more than maybe the first 15 minutes of the episode, but does he specify he's getting options? That's one hell of a comp package for an advisory role.

He did on the podcast. He didn’t get too specific and I was listening while cleaning, but yes he did say he was getting an ownership stake.

I saw the Patreon news this morning before listening to the pod and wasn’t very optimistic on it, I was like cool I guess? Finding out Joe got an ownership stake changed my opinion a little bit.

I still dunno if it’s a good deal or a bad deal. I just had to take exception to this clown in here acting like Joe was getting paid in business cards and a Twitter bio :mjlol:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
You’re focused on his title, when you don’t understand the stock options you fool. fukk the title, getting hired to an advisory role to a company like Patreon where you get stock options and a stake in the company, is a big deal. With a company like Patreon, It’s the equivalent to getting traded at the end of the trade deadline to a team like the Chiefs, on their way to the Super Bowl and now Joe is on the team with a stake. Joe is joining Patreon when they’re 90% of the way to an IPO, and when they do he gets a championship ring just like Mahommes.

Not to sound like Joe, but You don’t understand the payout that comes with a company you have a stake in, when they get acquired or go public.

I’m not even talking about the content behind the Patreon paywall. I have no idea what they put there. I was only responding to you acting like this meant nothing for Joe, when in reality it’ll likely end up being very lucrative.

What do you do for work now? Do you have an ownership stake in your company? That’s what stock options are, and I’m gonna sound like Joe again but if you’ve never gotten them then you can’t tell me anything about this deal. I’m sorry! If you’ve never had SRS-Acquiom make a direct deposit into your account after a merger then you can’t have this talk w/ me :yeshrug:

We can talk about the pod all you want cause that’s what you know about. We can speculate about what content will be behind the paywall. Go for it. But the discussions around what the Patreon role means for Joe and what it means to do it at a company like Patreon? Sorry you’re out of your depth there :francis:

EDIT: What’s funny is that if Joe took this deal without getting options or an ownership stake, then I would have said it’s an L for him. Getting the stake in Patreon is the big details of this. The fact that you overlooked that part completely just shows that you don’t get the importance and therefore don’t understand. It’s ok to not understand things
Where does it say Joe is getting stock options or is that something you are assuming based on the title they gave him?

Also there is way too many variables when it comes to stock options to even celebrate that as a win. Companies can make millions of shares of stock available. Just getting a 100 shares or a thousand or something small like that won't mean shyt in the long run and is the type of things these corporate companies due to take advantage of novices who don't understand stocks like that. All that matters is percentage of available shares to say Joe would have real stake in the company. As much as you're talking it's clear that YOU don't understand how the stocks work and are intrigued by flashy words and titles to think a company that's having the success of Patreon would willingly give up a large portion of the company when they are already thriving. Also Joe has hyped every new situation he's in as some great new endeavor then a few years down the line will bytch about how he was used and taken advantage of.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Was Joe really defending Kanye against that lawsuit?

The way Joe went from killing Kanye to praising him is one of the weirdest storylines on this pod

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
We may as well take bets on how long it take for Joe to be mad at Patreon

if his role is not heavily incentive based, he'd be dumb to fukk something this comfy up.

even if whatever he presents gets "no's" from the company, stay quiet, get your salary and your podcasts patreon money and wait it out for a year at the least before they review your role.

plus, the guy he's dealing with is a former musician, he might be able to understand Joe more than others.

but :yeshrug:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Where does it say Joe is getting stock options or is that something you are assuming based on the title they gave him?

Also there is way too many variables when it comes to stock options to even celebrate that as a win. Companies can make millions of shares of stock available. Just getting a 100 shares or a thousand or something small like that won't mean shyt in the long run and is the type of things these corporate companies due to take advantage of novices who don't understand stocks like that. All that matters is percentage of available shares to say Joe would have real stake in the company. As much as you're talking it's clear that YOU don't understand how the stocks work and are intrigued by flashy words and titles to think a company that's having the success of Patreon would willingly give up a large portion of the company when they are already thriving. Also Joe has hyped every new situation he's in as some great new endeavor then a few years down the line will bytch about how he was used and taken advantage of.

I’ll give the whole post a more thoughtful answer when I have time, but as far as the bolded I’ll just say this: I’ve been a part of two separate tech company exits (acquisition/IPO) before the age of 30, both of which I had an ownership stake in.

At my current job a stock options package was a standard part of the hire. It’s a unicorn (meaning it’s valuated over $1B). We’re in the process of another funding round right now and targeting to go public by end of 2022. So yes, I’d like to think I know a little bit when we start talking about ownership stakes in a tech company.

If you know others who have been a part of multiple exits with ownership stakes like this, then I’d love for them to chime in with their thoughts and experience.

Maybe it’s you? Is it? Share with the class. If you’ve been a part of an exit with an ownership stake I want to hear about it.

But like I said to the WOAT poster voted by his peers @CrimsonTider , you gotta do your DD on me before you say I dunno what I’m talking about :mjgrin:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He did on the podcast. He didn’t get too specific and I was listening while cleaning, but yes he did say he was getting an ownership stake.

I saw the Patreon news this morning before listening to the pod and wasn’t very optimistic on it, I was like cool I guess? Finding out Joe got an ownership stake changed my opinion a little bit.

I still dunno if it’s a good deal or a bad deal. I just had to take exception to this clown in here acting like Joe was getting paid in business cards and a Twitter bio :mjlol:

I mean, realistically speaking, it's way too early for anyone to know if this is a good or bad deal. Sounds like they might not even know what it is he's actually going to do.

Hopefully, he's put in position to do some good, and actually takes advantage of the opportunity to do so.

You are right in saying that even with him getting options, there's still a good chance that he doesn't take the W he thinks he's getting. Absolutely no one, not even CEOs gets options that vest instantly. Not to mention that you typically don't see someone new get handed stock right before an IPO.

Not understanding the bolded

What was keeping these people from Patreon????

Not a damn thing. :mjlol:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps

Alright let’s look at this shyt now:

- Yes I believe Joe alluded to getting stock in the company on the podcast. Don’t take the phrase ‘ownership stake’ and think that I’m talking about 10% of Patreon or something crazy like that. Joe’s stock options most definitely math out to less than 1% of company ownership, probably even less than half a percent, even when they’re fully vested. But take out your calculator and tell me what .03% of 1 Billion is. It’s not about the size of the pie, it’s about owning a stake in the company.

- You’re correct about the dilution of shares, as these companies usually have millions of shares (unless privately funded w/ no series rounds). But like I said, it isn’t about the number of shares, as much as it’s about what your ownership stake is worth when the company exits and realizes their valuation. The more shares a company has out the more they’ll issue to new hires and strategy roles. My first job for example I literally got 500 shares :shaq2:my next one I had over 10,000 shares. But because my first company had less total shares issued out, the % difference in the two wasn’t as big as it seemed. The first company seemed more stingy w/ shares because their total share issuance was less.

And as I said in the bullet above, I never said joe would get a ‘large’ share of the company, or even a full 1%. Idk where you got that from or why you put it in your post.

- I have no comment on Joe’s working relationship with his past employers. I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Joe is miserable in 9 months for some reason. My posts have only been on the value of getting stock options in a company like Patreon. That’s it. @CrimsonTider didn’t understand that because he works customer service in a call center.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
I mean, realistically speaking, it's way too early for anyone to know if this is a good or bad deal. Sounds like they might not even know what it is he's actually going to do.

Hopefully, he's put in position to do some good, and actually takes advantage of the opportunity to do so.

You are right in saying that even with him getting options, there's still a good chance that he doesn't take the W he thinks he's getting. Absolutely no one, not even CEOs gets options that vest instantly. Not to mention that you typically don't see someone new get handed stock right before an IPO.

Not a damn thing. :mjlol:

Yup you’re right about several things here:

1. Most options do have a vesting schedule. So let’s say Joe gets 10,000 shares, I’d imagine that 2,500 of those or maybe half if he’s lucky will vest after the first year. If a company exits before your shares vest, then sometimes you get paid out as normal, sometimes your non-vested shares get converted into the new company stock (which may have a whole other vesting schedule in itself). At one of my prior tech exits, when news was announced I saw a bunch of co-workers who just got hired in the last 6 months like :why: because they knew all their options were unvested and they didn’t know wtf would happen to them.

2. Patreon being close to an IPO was absolutely taken into account by them I’m sure.

3. What you’re most right about, is that we don’t know yet. This could go poorly, Joe could become a disgruntled worker like he has everywhere else, maybe the fans don’t rock with em enough to throw money at em. These are all possibilities.

My posts have only been about the concept of stock options and ownership, since it’s something that Joe and this podcast speak about so often.

A stake in the company (even if small) is the exact type of ownership Joe always bytches about. It’s why he didn’t take 20M from Spotify.

People wanna act like this is nothing but said Jay-Z was a mogul because he owned .002% of the Nets :aicmon: When in reality Patreon has a higher valuation than the Nets even did at that time.

If you know you know ! *Pusha T voice*

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Look at these HATING ASS muthafukkas :russ:. You nikkas was hoping it was some bullshyt but lo! It is not. Let the man talk his shyt cuz mainstream white media sure aint.

:dwillhuh:

I am not hating. More curious than anything else.

Joe makes up titles for himself all the time, he even admitted that shyt in his patreon rant today.

I even said a few posts later, if this is real and he can help creators get more money its a W for all creators.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup you’re right about several things here:

1. Most options do have a vesting schedule. So let’s say Joe gets 10,000 shares, I’d imagine that 2,500 of those or maybe half if he’s lucky will vest after the first year. If a company exits before your shares vest, then sometimes you get paid out as normal, sometimes your non-vested shares get converted into the new company stock (which may have a whole other vesting schedule in itself).

2. Patreon being close to an IPO was absolutely taken into account by them I’m sure.

3. What you’re most right about, is that we don’t know yet. This could go poorly, Joe could become a disgruntled worker like he has everywhere else, maybe the fans don’t rock with em enough to throw money at em. These are all possibilities.

My posts have only been about the concept of stock options and ownership, since it’s something that Joe and this podcast speak about so often.

A stake in the company (even if small) is the exact type of ownership Joe always bytches about. It’s why he didn’t take 20M from Spotify.

People wanna act like this is nothing but said Jay-Z was a mogul because he owned .002% of the Nets :aicmon: When in reality Patreon has a higher valuation than the Nets even did at that time.

If you know you know ! *Pusha T voice*

I've seen people who mostly know their shyt tie themselves in knots trying to understand vesting schedules. Sometimes, they're as simple as "vests x amount of days from *insert date*", but some get into some wild IFTT shyt because the company has some plans for the future.

Assuming he does end up with options, that's actually a sneakily effective way to try to reduce the chance of late stage Budden partnership fukkery, since he has a *ahem* vested interest in the health of the company.

.......but let's be real. When shyt goes south, Budden gonna Budden. :mjlol:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Alright let’s look at this shyt now:

- Yes I believe Joe alluded to getting stock in the company on the podcast. Don’t take the phrase ‘ownership stake’ and think that I’m talking about 10% of Patreon or something crazy like that. Joe’s stock options most definitely math out to less than 1% of company ownership, probably even less than half a percent, even when they’re fully vested. But take out your calculator and tell me what .03% of 1 Billion is. It’s not about the size of the pie, it’s about owning a stake in the company.

- You’re correct about the dilution of shares, as these companies usually have millions of shares (unless privately funded w/ no series rounds). But like I said, it isn’t about the number of shares, as much as it’s about what your ownership stake is worth when the company exits and realizes their valuation. The more shares a company has out the more they’ll issue to new hires and strategy roles. My first job for example I literally got 500 shares :shaq2:my next one I had over 10,000 shares. But because my first company had less total shares issued out, the % difference in the two wasn’t as big as it seemed. The first company seemed more stingy w/ shares because their total share issuance was less.

And as I said in the bullet above, I never said joe would get a ‘large’ share of the company, or even a full 1%. Idk where you got that from or why you put it in your post.

- I have no comment on Joe’s working relationship with his past employers. I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Joe is miserable in 9 months for some reason. My posts have only been on the value of getting stock options in a company like Patreon. That’s it. @CrimsonTider didn’t understand that because he works customer service in a call center.
We on the same page it seems. I fully agree that getting some ownership stake is never a bad thing. But like you said with the Jay example just having some stake doesn't make one a mogul or have any say. We just disagree on it being a big deal or not depending on how much actual stake he gets.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What new content are they going to bring and how does it affect the normal content?
They mentioned behind the scenes videos, music discussions/critiquing new artists, generally more raw conversations. It doesn’t look like they’re changing the schedule for the normal podcast at all. I don’t think it’s worth $25 a month though

JordanwiththeWiz

you mad..you big mad..I’m happy..leave me alone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This gonna be the new shyt “save it for Patreon.” :mjlol:

Nah I wouldn’t follow you to patreon like all the other podcasts that tried this shyt before you.

I’m sure people will post the most funny clips online.