The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

lib123

All Star
Daps
He said on multiple occasions his pod has made spotify 9 figures. He's said on more than one occasion he was looking for rogan numbers(9 figures). The analytics part he was talking about was a separate gripe. Along with things like using his pod to help promote other pods spotify had.

On today’s pod he doesn’t sound like he’s expecting nearly that much.

lib123

All Star
Daps
Whether it was or not was a matter of opinion

But turning down a multimillion dollar deal with them only to turn around a year later and put your product back on that same platform for free is COMPLETE stupidity.

No it’s not stupidity. He still has 100% ownership. If he signed with Spotify he probably wouldn’t be able to make money off Patreon.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Taking this off Joe and the pod, cause I dont know shyt about shyt

But that's a broad statement

The exclusive deal isn't for everyone. And it depends on what that company offering the exclusive deal wants. They might want something you don't wanna give up
From the way joe explained it. Joe never had a problem with the exclusivity. The 360 part is the only thing he really had a problem with from what I remember(other than wanting roganish payday obv). But looking at other big deals, that's just standard and makes sense. Spotify is a billion dollar company. They pumping tens of millions into marketing to push your show to a new height. Yes they gonna want part of live events and stuff, I bet they wouldve also helped market the live events and shyt too. If one of the hosts of the show they pumping millions into decides to make another pod, it makes sense Spotify would want it under their stuff off top. Im willing to bet it was a right of first refusal situation with the spinoffs too and not guaranteed that Spotify wouldve had the show/spinoff pod.

No it’s not stupidity. He still has 100% ownership. If he signed with Spotify he probably wouldn’t be able to make money off Patreon.
Patreon money is peanuts compared to the 20M a year spotify offered. Being generous, lets say he has 25k subs averaging $10. He probably makes 3M a year off patreon, they also work hard(as far as making content) for patreon. Spotify 20M a year was just for the same 2 episodes a week they been doing.

He would also still own 100% of the pod if he was still on spotify. So idk why you brought that up like he wouldve lost ownership. Spotify was basically leasing the pod, not buying a stake in it.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
What has Ian done exactly? He obviously doesnt cultivate shyt because he doesnt have anyone else popping. He trying to get that shyt with Rappaport off the ground. The Patreon shyt isnt anything new. Flagrant/Andrew Schulz been running that up for years, well before Joe did it, so that isnt a new concept Ian brought to the table either. It feels like Joe couldve bumped his head and ran most the podcast bts deal shyt himself. Seems like Joe/Peter Rosenberg helped with the concept of joe doing the podcast, so Ian doesnt get credit for that either.
Joe has been working in reverse, doing shyt like sponsors and Patreon only because spotify wouldn't pay him 100 million. He should've been doing all that before his first spotify deal, I dont understand why he was set on his shyt being sponsor free years ago. I remember when Rory kept trying to put Joe on to ad revenue and got laughed at.

These platforms need a way to recoup their money from these big deals, Joe's refusal to do sponsors limited their ability to do that. Why would anyone pay Joe 100 million for that?

If Joe was doing sponsors and Patreon before spotify, he could've had revenue streams to leverage during negotiations. He would've gotten the deal he wanted years ago when Rogan got paid. It's like he just recently figured out something his peers understood a decade ago.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
When did Joe say he’s seeking 9 figures? I think the issue is Spotify wouldn’t provide a detailed breakdown of the listener analytics that would help him decide whether to take the deal. He’s mentioned they don’t provide detailed analytics nor share exactly how much they’re making from listeners. Joe’s biggest issue seems to be the lack of transparency as well as long-term ownership of the content.
They weren't making anything from Joe because at the time he refused to allow ads on spotify. It really didn't matter how many people listened to the podcast if spotify had no way of generating revenue from it. That's why he didn't get what he expected.

Ironically Joe did allow ads on YouTube, meaning Google was making more money than spotify were from a podcast they paid Joe for. Probably why spotify wanted a percentage of revenue from outside their platform on the next deal.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
They weren't making anything from Joe because at the time he refused to allow ads on spotify. It really didn't matter how many people listened to the podcast if spotify had no way of generating revenue from it. That's why he didn't get what he expected.

Ironically Joe did allow ads on YouTube, meaning Google was making more money than spotify were from a podcast they paid Joe for. Probably why spotify wanted a percentage of revenue from outside their platform on the next deal.
Forgot all about that. That nikka Joe is on crack :snoop:

lib123

All Star
Daps
From the way joe explained it. Joe never had a problem with the exclusivity. The 360 part is the only thing he really had a problem with from what I remember(other than wanting roganish payday obv). But looking at other big deals, that's just standard and makes sense. Spotify is a billion dollar company. They pumping tens of millions into marketing to push your show to a new height. Yes they gonna want part of live events and stuff, I bet they wouldve also helped market the live events and shyt too. If one of the hosts of the show they pumping millions into decides to make another pod, it makes sense Spotify would want it under their stuff off top. Im willing to bet it was a right of first refusal situation with the spinoffs too and not guaranteed that Spotify wouldve had the show/spinoff pod.

Patreon money is peanuts compared to the 20M a year spotify offered. Being generous, lets say he has 25k subs averaging $10. He probably makes 3M a year off patreon, they also work hard(as far as making content) for patreon. Spotify 20M a year was just for the same 2 episodes a week they been doing.

He would also still own 100% of the pod if he was still on spotify. So idk why you brought that up like he wouldve lost ownership. Spotify was basically leasing the pod, not buying a stake in it.

I don’t think it was a $20M per year offer. The total deal was for $20M over several years.

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
R&M on their second deal :sas2:

Joe doesn't want to get money with brehs....he wants to pay brehs and then make light of it on the pod lol. He was getting money w R&M, and purposely destroyed that. He's a destroyer nicca
He likes being able to suspend nikkas and shyt because there’s no one he answers to. Lol