The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
To say he literally couldn't win is the farfetched thing.
This battle could have very easily took a different turn if Family Matters didn't get immediately stepped on.

Drake is the biggest rapper in the world, so the love obviously outweighs any hate he has.
Fans acting like he The Game or someone like that.

If Kendrick would have lost, do you think people would allow his fans to say Drake is the bigger artist, has the bigger machine behind him so he was never going to win?
Just seems like a cop out to me :yeshrug:

Drake has always had popularity on his side over Kendrick what happened :ohhh:
I mean this is what I am talking about yes, Drake is more popular but Kendrick has more goodwill from the fans and doesn't have a whole cottage industry of haters like Drake. Kendrick is a fan and critics darling whereas Drake isn't and thats where largely the beef was lost plus meet the Graham's being a nuke.

Swing

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's irrelevant

There's not a soul whose unbiased who doesn't have kendrick up, so he has to analyze it from that unbiased fan's ear as well as his own. He's explaining specifically WHY the masses have him up.

Analyzing character and the plausibility of the lies is part of the beef. So is the writing. It is what it is. The consensus is that drake came in hard with family matters which Joe said, but then kendrick shifted the momentum with an impactful record, lies or not, and then walked away with an indisputable victory in not like us, and he's just explaining the missteps along the way. It is what it is.

:snoop:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Not at all, from a writers perspective its weird. Your brain correlates one line into the next, flaunting your genitals and then mentioning kids in the very next breath is odd placement. At the very least it gives ammo or casts doubt that can open you up for your opponent to take advantage of.

Yall are taking sides but not analyzing the music, theres a game within the game, Joe understands that. Yeah you can root for your favorite boxer but its another thing when you are able to understand how they trained for the fight, their tactics, their tendencies, etc. The untrained eye just sees punching but others see the nuances within it. A lot of this posturing on the Drake side is lazy and simple minded. Take a more sophisticated lens and see how he misstepped.
Agreed. Drake did that a lot.

The middle verse on family matters was really good, but it wasn’t aimed Kendrick

So many weird things Drake did.

1. Slaves line smh

2. DV and Chris Brown lines (he also supports Tory Lanez)

3. A dude from Toronto that start on the TV show talking about gangbanging. And the fact that Kendrick never outright claimed a set. he doesn’t even promote that shyt in his music lol

4. The line about his penis from a video he leaked.

5. I’m too famous to be a pedophile line

6. Low key dissing MJ after using his vocals and making that dance song referencing him

7. Making a robbery line about Top-Kendrick and comparing it to Wayne-Stunna

8. Begging Kendrick to drop only to later say he doesn’t want to diss him anymore

9. Responding to snitching allegations in TWO different songs and Kendrick never called him a snitch

10. Responding to snitching allegations as if he’s a street nikka in the first place.

11. Dissing Kendrick for getting robbed by Top but Top coming out and supporting Kendrick and vice versa.

12. Mother I Sober flub. He interpreted that song wrong.

13. B sharp line flub. And I wasn’t impressed by that scheme.

14. Going on defense and begging Kendrick to respond to the allegations. Drake didn’t have to respond to them either. Just stay on offensive and ignore that shyt. No one in real life really cares about their personal lives tbh. The general public. will forget about this in a couple months.

15. He was dumb to say baby keem wrote for Kendrick when we have dozens of proof and reference tracks showing that Drake doesn’t write :dead:

Lastly, Drake really doesn’t understand the culture. Kendrick does. This battle clearly showed that. Drake became a billionaire and then became a fake mob boss. Just straight up corny lol.

Last edited:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Joe Budden: ”We want the lies!!! Give us lies that sound good!!!” (On Kendricks angles)

Joe Budden: ”Why is Drake disrespecting Pharell?”

Its a battle my boy, nikkas gon say wild shyt, stop moving the goal post. And since all these dudes getting at him he’s entitled to get at everyone and anyone.

You dont see his bias and that he’s reaching and reveling in whats going on? Joe wishes deep down inside that he would have been the guy that would have tarnished Drakes name. He failed and is now dikkriding something crazy.

Edit. Im a Drake fan and I think Kendrick is up if something crazy doesnt happen. Meet The Grahams is vicious and the best track from Kendrick.
Joe definitely has his biases.

Drake dissing Pharrell is just not a good move for the culture… people love Pharell. We grew up on Pharell and he’s harmless.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
You see this is the type of shyt I'm talking about below from a different thread just posted

Breh you cool I don't know if you even like Drake like that, but this has just been parroted by every Drake fan and it stinks.

Cause that was never their vantage point when this all kicked off.

You quoting yourself crodie? :pachaha:

Dot stans really going through it :wow:

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
That's irrelevant

There's not a soul whose unbiased who doesn't have kendrick up, so he has to analyze it from that unbiased fan's ear as well as his own. He's explaining specifically WHY the masses have him up.

Analyzing character and the plausibility of the lies is part of the beef. So is the writing. It is what it is. The consensus is that drake came in hard with family matters which Joe said, but then kendrick shifted the momentum with an impactful record, lies or not, and then walked away with an indisputable victory in not like us, and he's just explaining the missteps along the way. It is what it is.
:duck:

Joe hates that man more than Dot does

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The middle verse on family matters was really good, but it wasn’t aimed Kendrick

1. Slaves line smh

3. A dude from Toronto that start on the TV show talking about gangbanging. And the fact that Kendrick never outright claimed a set. he doesn’t even promote that shyt in his music lol

6. Low key dissing MJ after using his vocals and making that dance song referencing him

8. Begging Kendrick to drop only to later say he doesn’t want to diss him anymore

9. Responding to snitching allegations in TWO different songs and Kendrick never called him a snitch

10. Responding to snitching allegations as if he’s a straight nikka in the first place.

11. Dissing Kendrick for getting robbed by Top but Top coming out and supporting Kendrick and vice versa.

14. Going on defense and begging Kendrick to respond to the allegations. Drake didn’t have to respond to them either. Just stay on offensive and ignore that shyt. No one in real life really cares about their personal lives tbh. The general public. will forget about this in a couple months.

15. He was dumb to say baby keep wrote for Kendrick when we have dozens of proof and reference tracks showing that Drake doesn’t write :dead:

Lastly, Drake really doesn’t understand the culture. Kendrick does. This battle clearly showed that. Drake became a billionaire and then became a fake mob boss. Just straight up corny lol.

:whew::whew:

StayOffMe

Pro
Daps
Joe Budden on pump it up says “ma, I wanna fall in love like I’m Cupid”

Cupid isn’t the one who falls in love..

But it’s just rap..a play on words…it’s not that serious and we know what he means and accept it for what it is

It’s the same exact thing with the b sharp line
Who says Cupid doesn’t fall in love? Lol

Cupid’s mother is Venus, he was raised by the personification of “Love” and then goes on to afflict people with the love bug with shooting arrows.

He then falls in love with psyche.
He represents love, passion, desire.

So, to me Joe’s lyric would not be incorrect.

Roxx the King

www.RoxxAlott.com
Daps
Reppin
Norfolk, VA

1. Slaves line smh

10. Responding to snitching allegations as if he’s a straight nikka in the first place.

15. He was dumb to say baby keep wrote for Kendrick when we have dozens of proof and reference tracks showing that Drake doesn’t write :dead:

Pretty comprehensive. You can add stuff or nitpick but this is why he lost.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Drake's best verse was the second verse from Family Matters. He murdered it. Problem is he barely went at Kendrick on that one. I think overall both were painting a story/narrative wether it's truths or not. Kendrick just made better paintings that connected more. Some of his moments were shaky (the daughter angle) but he bounced back without addressing it and no one cared in the end. Same with the DV stuff.

I think Drake should never have mentioned the DV stuff. Had they kept it relatively clean, this would have been a straight hip hop battle and stans from both sides would have claimed their guy is the winner. But i think after Euphoria, Drake felt he couldn't win on some hip hop cultural shyt so he resorted to taking it to the gutter. So in a weird way it's a mix of arrogance and lack of confidence in his place within the culture.

Meanwhile Kendrick masterfully united different types of fans behind him and attacked him with multiple styles. He united the lyrical miracles, the streets, the people who live through memes on the internet, the west, the artsy people with meet the grahams, the party people, wrestling fans, the back packers... different styles of rhyming, different styles of beats. Drake did different styles too. He had the concept track with taylor made, had the funny track, had the lyrical track with the heart part 6. But it wasn't executed as well, timing of releases was off, too defensive...he did well against everyone else involved and i give him props for that. But he got murked by the "final boss"

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Drake's best verse was the second verse from Family Matters. He murdered it. Problem is he barely went at Kendrick on that one. I think overall both were painting a story/narrative wether it's truths or not. Kendrick just made better paintings that connected more. Some of his moments were shaky (the daughter angle) but he bounced back without addressing it and no one cared in the end. Same with the DV stuff.

I think Drake should never have mentioned the DV stuff. Had they kept it relatively clean, this would have been a straight hip hop battle and stans from both sides would have claimed their guy is the winner. But i think after Euphoria, Drake felt he couldn't win on some hip hop cultural shyt so he resorted to taking it to the gutter. So in a weird way it's a mix of arrogance and lack of confidence in his place within the culture.

Meanwhile Kendrick masterfully united different types of fans behind him and attacked him with multiple styles. He united the lyrical miracles, the streets, the people who live through memes on the internet, the west, the artsy people with meet the grahams, the party people, wrestling fans, the back packers... different styles of rhyming, different styles of beats. Drake did different styles too. He had the concept track with taylor made, had the funny track, had the lyrical track with the heart part 6. But it wasn't executed as well, timing of releases was off, too defensive...he did well against everyone else involved and i give him props for that. But he got murked by the "final boss"

I heard someone say that because Kendrick's life is so low key, a lot of Drake's lines did not land with them as they don't know who Whitney or Dave Free are or why they should care, like characters being introduced half way into a film