The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Nobody gives a fukk about his music, so he needs to do something :lolbron:
I didn't know he was an artist but when you said it I knew I recognized that name from somewhere, he's on like the only Budden song I can name except the obvious "All of me" :wow:

Somehow I thought it was some new content guy :skip:

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Damn this nikka Ian dumb "I didnt say anything about a paywall, I said subscription" :mjlol:
Seems like Joe just wanted to argue and really didnt have a point. Especially when Ian hit him back with "You commented and gave him advice/improve too :dahell: "
Also just lying with the "I wouldve let them have their moment". This nikka done stepped on a lot of nikkas shyt with his critiques of it. Especially when it comes creatives making moves.
Drake signing for half a Bil - "I wouldve went independent and changed the game"
CTG's BlackEffect Network - "He copying off my idea AND iHeart owns a chunck of it because no other company wanted to help him"
I wanted to say he made backhanded remarks about Gil's Barstool deal as well.
Joe Budden started a network after Charlamagne told him the reason Bill Simmons got all that money from Spotify, its bc he got a network. Nikka went and 2 more mirror podcasts, and called it a network. :mjlol: hes still calling it a network with one pod on it.

itr crazy to Joe clap back at Ian when he had a whole Dr Umar behind a patreon paywall. These nikkas mane :dead:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
There is no math that says patreon wouldve worked because you are basing it on bad numbers of the Katt vid. That's like a rapper/singer saying their album should sell 500k first week because they basing it on having 50M subs. We've seen time and time again those numbers mean nothing when it comes time for fans to actually put up money.
Yeah, lots of fans don't wanna pay for shyt.

There was this youtuber who got a book deal because she had 1m+ subs so the book company thought it would be easy money and her subs would convert to sales...but her book flopped heavy :russ: none of her fans other than the real die hards bought it.

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
Kai had 400k people watching Nicki live at 4am :heh:

Joe just not popping like that

The only time he go viral is when Ak post clips of the pod

the fact that his Nicki interview still doesn’t have a million views after being on YouTube for 15 days should tell you all you need to know

you can’t grow behind a paywall and Joe & Ian are either too stupid or too arrogant to see this
lol and she was six hours late people still waited .

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shannon isn’t doing it for free. He has a major deal with The Volume and sponsorships. He’s making money of the views also. Ian is a moron who hasn’t figured out a way to maximize off the visibility the podcast has

Put more specifically, Ian is an idiot who can't wrap his around the possibility that the way HE does business might not necessarily be the only or best way to do it. The type that automatically thinks that just because there aren't a ton of people doing it the same way, they must be a trailblazer.

this is a short sighted way of thinking

the video going super viral raises Shannons profile and will help him way more in the long run than it would’ve had it been behind a paywall

Hes gonna get better guest and more lucrative deals in the future based of the numbers this interview did

Had it dropped behind a paywall it probably barely hits 1 million views when its released publicly and doesn’t have anywhere near the impact it did

Hopefully Joe take notes and stopped trying to hide his most anticipated shyt behind the paywall in hopes of getting a few new patreon subscribers

Spot on with the bolded.

What most likely would've happened is that Sharpe ends up with a fraction of the viewership, the interview STILL ends up in the wild due to bootlegging, and when new subscribers sign up and see that he doesn't tend to have content along the same vein that warrants the subscription, they leave and most likely don't come back. Not just the Patreon, but his brand as a whole.

As is, he's probably doing just fine financially from this. Having this one episode spike his viewership will help his average view numbers, which more than likely are at least one metric leveraged when talking about what The Volume and any of his other sponsors need to be paying him in the future.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
exactly...this Katt Williams interview is now "a moment".

and a good YouTube comment on that Joe/Ian "argument" clip was that this feels like Joe knows he fukked up by putting the Umar interview behind a paywall instead of straight YouTube and audio...and he probably blames Ian for it too.
:umad:
I wont act like im more in tuned with the marketing than Ian and Joe, but I don’t know any other successful creators who put their most anticipated content behind patreon.

Patreon is for doing more intimate type content that’s different than what you offer to the general public. If he did live shows on patreon it would make more sense, just putting your most hyped pods or random evergreen discussions behind paywall is lazy.. “durr we’ll talk about that more on patreon!” goofy.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
One thing that annoys Me about rory and mal's podcast.

They're always announcing that they're holding it for the patreon or will continue on the patreon
I don’t want to attack the fans who I guess want to pay to hear basic discussions in depth, but that shyt JBP adjacent nikkas do with the patreon is like chicks teasing feet pics on OF.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
The crazy part about Joe and the Shannon shyt is Joe was doing something like it first.
What the hell happened to "The Pull Up". He had a nice lil lane he made separate from JBP
He was heavily music focused but he couldve easily pivoted to invite other guests from other walks of life/industries on there.
Joe is not a good or even an interesting interviewer. He's not a journalist who is informed, he's not a comedian with an angle and he's not even a musician who can make other musicians feel comfortable enough to open up. His strength lies in the more shoot the shyt, barbershop-esque style of podcasting.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is a short sighted way of thinking

the video going super viral raises Shannons profile and will help him way more in the long run than it would’ve had it been behind a paywall

Hes gonna get better guest and more lucrative deals in the future based of the numbers this interview did

Had it dropped behind a paywall it probably barely hits 1 million views when its released publicly and doesn’t have anywhere near the impact it did

Hopefully Joe take notes and stopped trying to hide his most anticipated shyt behind the paywall in hopes of getting a few new patreon subscribers

right. Shannon has gained 700k subscribers on his youtube channel since this Katt episode. Those subscribers are also going to check his future and past content and only grows his brand. Joe has been at a million followers for like 10 years lol. He's probably at or near his ceiling. Sky's the limit for shannon. As someone else here said, Ian's logic is shorter term gain over long term growth and when you have a high ceiling it makes more sense to continue to grow your brand/audience.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
I didn't know he was an artist but when you said it I knew I recognized that name from somewhere, he's on like the only Budden song I can name except the obvious "All of me" :wow:

Somehow I thought it was some new content guy :skip:

I only know him from the Joe features in the old Mood Muzik era too. I think I saw 1 video he did on BET Jams maybe twice back in the same timeframe, but he never popped.