The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
Nah, Shannon is bigger than the TSR or Black Twitter bubble. His interviews were getting millions of views before Katt. Steve interview was at 8.8M. Like a dozen intervies at like 3M. Deion Sanders/Ocho interivers at like 6m. Dont get me wrong, Katt shyt put him on another level, but he was already on the upper end.

Those are all other athletes though lol. There are millions of football fans, he can eat just fine without crossing over. I'll I'm saying is something like this with Katt going viral will make his name known to people who don't give a shyt about sports :manny:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Those are all other athletes though lol. There are millions of football fans, he can eat just fine without crossing over. I'll I'm saying is something like this with Katt going viral will make his name known to people who don't give a shyt about sports :manny:
Harvey at 8m. Ced/Ricky Smiley/DC/Cube/Dame Dash/Blackson/EarhQuake/Tommy Davidson/Druski/TI/BrittneyRenner/Tabitah Brown/Kanhdi Burress/Kirk Franklin/Jay Pharoah/Chris Tucker all them got like 4M - 1M

Shannon been crossed over.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
One thing that annoys Me about rory and mal's podcast.

They're always announcing that they're holding it for the patreon or will continue on the patreon

They are 2 guys who aren't famous in their own right with no special skills or traits (unless being gay is a skill :lolbron: ). This is their only chance to make any bread, and it's going more and more downhill the further they get from the JBP. To the point where every 4-5 months something new comes up from the JBP divorce that needs "addressing". Now that I think about it, I bet them and Joe are in cohoots and do that shyt on purpose just to get the extra views :patrice:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Joe is not a good or even an interesting interviewer. He's not a journalist who is informed, he's not a comedian with an angle and he's not even a musician who can make other musicians feel comfortable enough to open up. His strength lies in the more shoot the shyt, barbershop-esque style of podcasting.

To be honest/fair Shannon isn't a good or interesting interviewer either. From the clips I've seen he asked a bunch of wack questions, including some hail marys looking for headlines ("what you think about Kanye West"). The explosive answers and performance from Williams is what made this pop. That plus giving certain demographics what they want: brain poison about rituals and gay initiations to explain why certain people are more successful than him. You got comedy fans, gossip fans, conspiracy fans, black twitter as a unit, etc all tuning in.

I also think something that hurts all of these faux interviewers - Shannon, Hart, Joe, etc - is that their main focus seems to be on spectacle and success rather than improving their craft. I've felt this way ever since Joe talked about Nore sending those texts whenever he got a big name interview. The quality of the interview was irrelevant, all that mattered was the name and the engagement/views it guaranteed.

Say what you will about Oprah...she was a good interviewer. We've all seen good 60 Minutes interviews at some point. We've all seen good Larry King interviews. And while expecting non journalists to be as good as journalists is dumb, I would expect them to study journalists. If it's just about views and seeing which guy gets the biggest name, it'll never improve and the end result will be a continuation of what we see: the death of cultural journalism as corporations and brands (including mega pop/rap stars, mega actors, etc) determine that a soft ball interview with a sycophant is more important than ever talking to a journalist again.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sure Kat got paid for his time with Shay. His shows for the rest of the year might be able to charge 15 percent more and better for seats.

This many views upfront gonna lead to a nice check for shannon depending on how he does his YT pay outs. And greater brand awareness.

Them dudes fukked off tens of millions from Spotify and have been stuttering ever since.

No reason why the Umar interview should've been paywalled

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It wouldnt have benefited Shannon to put it on Patreon because his audience isnt based on patreon subs. Patreon is for hardcore fans.
Also if the clips stuff worked to get patreon subs, Joe and Ian wouldve been moved the entire pod behind patreon. They havent because it isnt sustainable.
We also dont know what Shannon's deal is with The Volume as far as youtube stuff or other deals. I'll give you an example. Gilbert Arenas has Gil's Arena. He has a contract with Underdog where he leases his channel to them. He has a contract that Underdog must pay him $1 per sub he gets while they are in partnership. Shannon could have a similar deal set up with Draft Kings or the Volume. This Katt interview also helped his other vids get millions of views. The steve harvey interview got a 1M+ bump.

You greatly overestimate how easy it is to get patreon subs. How would shannon get 100-200k patreon subs when the top patreon podcast who have put years making a fanbase havent cracked 100k? Highest is 75k and they have a 30k diff on 2nd place.

There is no math that says patreon wouldve worked because you are basing it on bad numbers of the Katt vid. That's like a rapper/singer saying their album should sell 500k first week because they basing it on having 50M ig followers. We've seen time and time again those numbers mean nothing when it comes time for fans to actually put up money.

Right.
The marketing ALONE is worth whatever pennies he wouldve gotten off this interview on patreon.
f21d84cb7b39ab3e44557d17b6110a31.png

Facts

+ Shannon promoting his liquor which has completely sold out.
The streets are calling it "truth serum"

LP-New-Render-2-900x900.png

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
To be honest/fair Shannon isn't a good or interesting interviewer either. From the clips I've seen he asked a bunch of wack questions, including some hail marys looking for headlines ("what you think about Kanye West"). The explosive answers and performance from Williams is what made this pop. That plus giving certain demographics what they want: brain poison about rituals and gay initiations to explain why certain people are more successful than him. You got comedy fans, gossip fans, conspiracy fans, black twitter as a unit, etc all tuning in.

I also think something that hurts all of these faux interviewers - Shannon, Hart, Joe, etc - is that their main focus seems to be on spectacle and success rather than improving their craft. I've felt this way ever since Joe talked about Nore sending those texts whenever he got a big name interview. The quality of the interview was irrelevant, all that mattered was the name and the engagement/views it guaranteed.

Say what you will about Oprah...she was a good interviewer. We've all seen good 60 Minutes interviews at some point. We've all seen good Larry King interviews. And while expecting non journalists to be as good as journalists is dumb, I would expect them to study journalists. If it's just about views and seeing which guy gets the biggest name, it'll never improve and the end result will be a continuation of what we see: the death of cultural journalism as corporations and brands (including mega pop/rap stars, mega actors, etc) determine that a soft ball interview with a sycophant is more important than ever talking to a journalist again.
Shannon says he’s not an interviewer it’s more of a convo .

That’s why he just ask few questions and let people just talk .

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
How would shannon get 100-200k patreon subs when the top patreon podcast who have put years making a fanbase havent cracked 100k? Highest is 75k and they have a 30k diff on 2nd place.

link? this feels off. supposedly chapo trap house has been earning $150k a month for at least 3 years now. true crime obsessed is supposedly doing $200k+ a month. seems like there's at least 5 making more than 100k a month.

but yeah, placing it behind a paywall doesn't make sense considering sharpe's podcast isn't really well known; patreon is for people with a more dedicated pfanbase that want to directly support them, but charging viewers for a sudden interview isn't exactly the best way to sell a patreon.

the umar interview being behind a paywall makes sense at first, but in terms of raising the platform, it may not have been the best move, especially when they consider the absolute possibility of it immediately being private. it seems that while the umar episode did well enough to penetrate the zeitgeist, it didn't drive a lot of new patreon subs.

JealousOnesEn_V

HTX Certified
Daps
link? this feels off. supposedly chapo trap house has been earning $150k a month for at least 3 years now. true crime obsessed is supposedly doing $200k+ a month. seems like there's at least 5 making more than 100k a month.

but yeah, placing it behind a paywall doesn't make sense considering sharpe's podcast isn't really well known; patreon is for people with a more dedicated pfanbase that want to directly support them, but charging viewers for a sudden interview isn't exactly the best way to sell a patreon.

the umar interview being behind a paywall makes sense at first, but in terms of raising the platform, it may not have been the best move, especially when they consider the absolute possibility of it immediately being private. it seems that while the umar episode did well enough to penetrate the zeitgeist, it didn't drive a lot of new patreon subs.

He’s talking about subs per month not earnings