Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
shyt was the worse BOTB that I've seen

Both bands were ass to me

i haven’t seen it yet but a lot of comments in HCBU Facebook pages is saying this battle was boring - plus the usual smack.

I wasn’t expecting much from this battle even through gram has improved a lot over the last years. S.U has been lazy about digging deep in there songbook this year unless they’re actually challenged. The only bands that I’ve seen challenge S.U this year was Alcorn and Jackson State. FAMU vs S.U was underwhelming

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
@Theolodius_Black Showtime Mag was doing a live feed of the Bayou Classic on YouTube a little earlier. Gram was getting in SU’s ass :francis:
I just watched it. I think what mightve happened is gram been terrible since forever so them boys actually sounding good mightve thrown you for a loop brethren :russ:

They went back and forth but that was a win for SU. A boring ass win, but a win nonetheless. One of Grambling tenors fell out the stands about 43 minutes in after talking cash money shyt:mjlol:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
i haven’t seen it yet but a lot of comments in HCBU Facebook pages is saying this battle was boring - plus the usual smack.

I wasn’t expecting much from this battle even through gram has improved a lot over the last years. S.U has been lazy about digging deep in there songbook this year unless they’re actually challenged. The only bands that I’ve seen challenge S.U this year was Alcorn and Jackson State. FAMU vs S.U was underwhelming

I remember (and this is me venting) the BOTB being something, where you would hear "new" songs, songs that you wouldn't hear throughout the season.

SU pretty much played songs that they've been playing all year. shyt was just not good. The song selections were ass from SU.

I was truly disappointed with SU and I'm a die hard fan of my school. I was glad that they got up and left that shyt. shyt was just not hitting at all from them.

I come from the era where, SU sits down and we run off bangers on yo ass until we get tired or until you start embarrassing yourself. That was not the case last night. shyt seem "pre-scripted" lacked that WAR READY intensity that SU is known to have.

Who thought these songs were a good idea to bring to the battle smh. That's not the SU era I come from. Bangers are brought to the Classic.

shyt was the worse. I didn't expect much from GSU, they weren't good either, I did like their Adina Howard, but again, who brings something like that to the battle?

I agree, Alcorn challenged SU and JSU. The best game (to me) that I seen flashes of the "old" SU or past dog edition resembles was when they played TxSU this year.

They were showing signs of being dominated like how SU usually are, that game. After that, shyt went back to average, well back to not the SU that I'm use to.

The best SU version that I've seen this year, was SU vs JSU in the 2019 in Memorial. That band displayed the fabric that I came from. Sit down and run nothing but bangers on yo ass.

I have to though give props to SU field shows, and drilling, nobody is outdrilling them boys, they have stepped it up in that department. But the arrangements this year were not that strong to me.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I remember (and this is me venting) the BOTB being something, where you would hear "new" songs, songs that you wouldn't hear throughout the season.

SU pretty much played songs that they've been playing all year. shyt was just not good. The song selections were ass from SU.

I was truly disappointed with SU and I'm a die hard fan of my school. I was glad that they got up and left that shyt. shyt was just not hitting at all from them.

I come from the era where, SU sits down and we run off bangers on yo ass until we get tired or until you start embarrassing yourself. That was not the case last night. shyt seem "pre-scripted" lacked that WAR READY intensity that SU is known to have.

Who thought these songs were a good idea to bring to the battle smh. That's not the SU era I come from. Bangers are brought to the Classic.

shyt was the worse. I didn't expect much from GSU, they weren't good either, I did like their Adina Howard, but again, who brings something like that to the battle?

I agree, Alcorn challenged SU and JSU. The best game (to me) that I seen flashes of the "old" SU or past dog edition resembles was when they played TxSU this year.

They were showing signs of being dominated like how SU usually are, that game. After that, shyt went back to average, well back to not the SU that I'm use to.

The best SU version that I've seen this year, was SU vs JSU in the 2019 in Memorial. That band displayed the fabric that I came from. Sit down and run nothing but bangers on yo ass.

I have to though give props to SU field shows, and drilling, nobody is outdrilling them boys, they have stepped it up in that department. But the arrangements this year were not that strong to me.

I work with high school bands in Atlanta & one of my mentors and someone I worked under is a Juke from the 90s. For years he’s been saying the new generation lacks the fire and passion they had.

I thought they wouldn’t fall off when Simmons left because after Doc, Knighten, Jackson & Haymer left they were still the Jukebox but something been off for the past couple years.

If Simmons convince the powers at Texas Southern to let Haymer join his staff it’s a wrap :whew:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
I work with high school bands in Atlanta & one of my mentors and someone I worked under is a Juke from the 90s. For years he’s been saying the new generation lacks the fire and passion they had.

I thought they wouldn’t fall off when Simmons left because after Doc, Knighten, Jackson & Haymer left they were still the Jukebox but something been off for the past couple years.

If Simmons convince the powers at Texas Southern to let Haymer join his staff it’s a wrap :whew:

Consistency has been off. That's my opinion.

It was a time when it didn't matter who was across from SU, we would line yo ass up with pure heat and pressure, it seems like this generation take games off or the approach with different bands is not the same.
In the 90s, SU approach JSU just like they would approach Valley. It was like that week in and week out.

I'll give you an example, the game SU vs JSU in 2019 in Memorial, from the moment SU sat down, It was WAR TIME, pure heat with bangers, SU 5th quarter, embarrassed JSU that night. It was 5 straight heaters, nothing JSU played could see any of those songs SU played in that 5th quarter. I still go back to that 5th to just enjoy the pure essence of SU band and the domination that they presented that night.

That 5th quarter that night in Jackson, use to be given to every band every week. Pure Dominance. Now we have to wait until the JSU game or wait until a game to see this performance because the approach is different these days, especially this year, when it comes to the stands, but to me again, it's due to other bands falling off, back in the 90s and early 2000 per say, you had good bands that you had to prepare for too. TxSU, Bama State, Grambling, Alcorn, JSU, FAMU, even PV etc. This made you as a band member stay focus, you had another band that could take you down, not so much in these times. You can run the same 5 songs or so against a few bands and beat them off those same 5 songs, back in the 90s and early 2000s, that was not the case. So the approach in the 90s and 2000s vs the approach now is different each week when it comes to the stands.

Now grant it, the field shows have been on point and have been pure pressure. I tip my hat off to Taylor, he is coming week after week with heat on the field. New wrinkles in the field shows, which separates SU from everybody when it comes to drilling is what Taylor is doing but the approach in the stands has been a bit off these past two years, 2020, and this year for me.

I can say that Taylor has the kids playing with a bit more control, vs how SU played in the 90s, missed notes, hanging over with the trumpets etc, but that's the freedom Greggs, Jackson and others gave to those players. Taylor has or I would say is trying to clean that up, you can see it with this year's version of "Who Can I Run To" vs the 95 version of "Who Can I Run To" That 95 version, was pure power and str8 heat, this year's version is played with more technique and precision, which takes away from the freedom of playing with power throughout the parts of the songs.

SU of old play songs with power throughout the song, I feel under Taylor, it's parts of power that are present in the arrangements he writes and others, which isn't bad, but it's that "different" or "off" feeling that we are getting.

As far as Haymar joining the staff, it could be a game changer, but I don't think so. SU will be SU, that's a machine over there and it's a certain way and style that Doc Greggs left SU with, his blueprint is undefeated in my opinion. Knighten left and tried to do what Simmons is trying to do, only to come back home to join SU's staff. SU has a line of writers and arrangers still and I don't see SU going down any time soon, the best I can see from Simmons is having TxSU sound much better than they've been sounding. I don't see him doing any ground breaking things over there. They'll still (IMO) be in the middle of the pack within the SWAC bands. He has former SU's band members on is staff now and the band members just can't play how SU plays, most of the arrangements have been watered down to me.
Of course I wish nothing but the best for Simmons over there, but I just don't see him having TxSU a top 2 band in this conference.

I would say that Dega is a band to be on the look out for, them boys sounding good and to me, they got in JSU ass. A lot of folks are saying the same thing. I like Dega, and their director is a former Juke. Look how long it has taken him to get to this point. Dega is sounding really good. Again to me, they got in JSU ass in that battle.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

Another example was when SU played yall in 2014 in ASU, Breh :mjlol: Where you at that game?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Another example was when SU played yall in 2014 in ASU, Breh :mjlol: Where you at that game?

I think you mean 2013 or 2015 when SU came to the Gump. I wasn’t at those games but the videos on YouTube speak for themselves :francis:

we were rebuilding is the excuse I’ve been using :mjlol:

SU’s media team is undefeated though.
Whoever the lead Doll is this year is blessed up front :mjlit:

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City

It was a time when it didn't matter who was across from SU, we would line yo ass up with pure heat and pressure, it seems like this generation take games off or the approach with different bands is not the same.
In the 90s, SU approach JSU just like they would approach Valley. It was like that week in and week out.

I'll give you an example, the game SU vs JSU in 2019 in Memorial, from the moment SU sat down, It was WAR TIME, pure heat with bangers, SU 5th quarter, embarrassed JSU that night. It was 5 straight heaters, nothing JSU played could see any of those songs SU played in that 5th quarter. I still go back to that 5th to just enjoy the pure essence of SU band and the domination that they presented that night.

That 5th quarter that night in Jackson, use to be given to every band every week. Pure Dominance. Now we have to wait until the JSU game or wait until a game to see this performance because the approach is different these days, especially this year, when it comes to the stands, but to me again, it's due to other bands falling off, back in the 90s and early 2000 per say, you had good bands that you had to prepare for too. TxSU, Bama State, Grambling, Alcorn, JSU, FAMU, even PV etc. This made you as a band member stay focus, you had another band that could take you down, not so much in these times. You can run the same 5 songs or so against a few bands and beat them off those same 5 songs, back in the 90s and early 2000s, that was not the case. So the approach in the 90s and 2000s vs the approach now is different each week when it comes to the stands.

Now grant it, the field shows have been on point and have been pure pressure. I tip my hat off to Taylor, he is coming week after week with heat on the field. New wrinkles in the field shows, which separates SU from everybody when it comes to drilling is what Taylor is doing but the approach in the stands has been a bit off these past two years, 2020, and this year for me.

I can say that Taylor has the kids playing with a bit more control, vs how SU played in the 90s, missed notes, hanging over with the trumpets etc, but that's the freedom Greggs, Jackson and others gave to those players. Taylor has or I would say is trying to clean that up, you can see it with this year's version of "Who Can I Run To" vs the 95 version of "Who Can I Run To" That 95 version, was pure power and str8 heat, this year's version is played with more technique and precision, which takes away from the freedom of playing with power throughout the parts of the songs.

SU of old play songs with power throughout the song, I feel under Taylor, it's parts of power that are present in the arrangements he writes and others, which isn't bad, but it's that "different" or "off" feeling that we are getting.

As far as Haymar joining the staff, it could be a game changer, but I don't think so. SU will be SU, that's a machine over there and it's a certain way and style that Doc Greggs left SU with, his blueprint is undefeated in my opinion. Knighten left and tried to do what Simmons is trying to do, only to come back home to join SU's staff. SU has a line of writers and arrangers still and I don't see SU going down any time soon, the best I can see from Simmons is having TxSU sound much better than they've been sounding. I don't see him doing any ground breaking things over there. They'll still (IMO) be in the middle of the pack within the SWAC bands. He has former SU's band members on is staff now and the band members just can't play how SU plays, most of the arrangements have been watered down to me.
Of course I wish nothing but the best for Simmons over there, but I just don't see him having TxSU a top 2 band in this conference.

I would say that Dega is a band to be on the look out for, them boys sounding good and to me, they got in JSU ass. A lot of folks are saying the same thing. I like Dega, and their director is a former Juke. Look how long it has taken him to get to this point. Dega is sounding really good. Again to me, they got in JSU ass in that battle.

What year did you crab?