The Official HBCU Thread

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Renee Montgomery Chasing 'Personal Championship' of Saving HBCU | SLAM

Just a month before her Atlanta Dreamteammates were set to return to the WNBA bubble in Florida, two-time WNBA champion Renee Montgomery was handing out water bottles in Atlanta. She stationed herself squarely at Centennial Park as a resource during a protest following the nearby death of Rayshard Brooks outside a Wendy’s.

Here Montgomery stood, offering dozens of Red Bulls and snacks to fuel participants. Her enthusiasm for activism was contagious, as she quickly spent the day talking to as many locals as possible. Few would have any idea that she has cemented herself as one of the most outspoken leaders in the League—on and off the court.

Back in June, Montgomery had already began her quest for what she calls her own “personal championship”—to help fundraise for Georgia’s oldest private HBCU, Morris Brown College.

Make no mistake, her focus on HBCUs was a highly intentional choice and, ultimately, would be the decision that sparked her interest in sitting out the 2020 WNBA season.

“I had a phone call with [Morris Brown] president Dr. Kevin James,” says Montgomery, “and he just started telling me way more than I knew—the history, how they lost their accreditation, and the steps they are already taking to get it back. And I was just like, This is it. This is what needs help.”

I didn’t post the whole article, but Renee does A LOT in the Atlanta community. Salute to her. Wish more folks who have the means can help out Morris Brown like this

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta