The Official HBCU Thread

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
07-13. I ended up being one of those super seniors

Oh damn so I was long gone before you got there:flabbynsick:

As much as I love the new yard, I do miss the old yard and specifically the strip.

Since I didn’t get to go to Homecoming last year I didn’t get to see the new student union but hopefully I get to see it this year.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Define sound wise. Cuz to me SU sounds like a loud funk band. Ours is more a jazz sound, but we blend better as a university marching band. I can't say that about SU. I fux with them though:ehh:

of course its all based on preference, but I think they have a complete sound..when I think of what a HBCU band should sound like, its SU. All their sections complement each other, and there's no weak link.

Yall and TxSU can be so much better if yall get yall's trumpet numbers up. TxSU is straight low brass, but whoever arranges the Boom's songs does a good job of hiding their trumpets. Yall still sound good as hell tho dont get me wrong.

I do prefer JSU's darker sound over SU's light sound. I know Haymer tried to change that by replacing baritones with euphoniums and switching to all brass tubas over the fiberglass ones, but they still dont have that dark sound like yall.

The old Jukebox was like listening to a radio with the volume on 100,the treble all the way up and the bass on 1 thats how they got their sound to travel so far imo but now they have damn near 300 something every year so they can play around with the instrumentation to however the directors see fit

Yall do have a unique sound..i never thought about it being a jazz sound, you may be right. I can be blindfolded and pick out a JSU, SU, FAMU, BCU, Norfolk, TxSU, Howard, Talladega and Bama State clip based on sound and arrangement history/tendencies for each band

Last edited:

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
of course its all based on preference, but I think they have a complete sound..when I think of what a HBCU band should sound like, its SU. All their sections complement each other, and there's no weak link.

Yall and TxSU can be so much better if yall get yall's trumpet numbers up. TxSU is straight low brass, but whoever arranges the Boom's songs does a good job of hiding their trumpets. Yall still sound good as hell tho dont get me wrong.

I do prefer JSU's darker sound over SU's light sound. I know Haymer tried to change that by replacing baritones with euphoniums and switching to all brass tubas over the fiberglass ones, but they still dont have that dark sound like yall.

The old Jukebox was like listening to a radio with the volume on 100,the treble all the way up and the bass on 1 thats how they got their sound to travel so far imo but now they have damn near 300 something every year so they can play around with the instrumentation to however the directors see fit

Yall do have a unique sound..i never thought about it being a jazz sound, you may be right. I can be blindfolded and pick out a JSU, SU, FAMU, BCU, Norfolk, TxSU, Howard, Talladega and Bama State clip based on sound and arrangement history/tendencies for each band
I see what you mean. It honestly depends on the year cuz we have a lot of trumpet heavy arrangements(or at least we did in 06) and the thing is, sometimes they shine, sometimes they get eaten by the baritones, melos, and even tubas. SU has come a long way sound wise, this is true, but they have the same issue. The secret with them is the arrangement style never changed. It's all natural keys with a lot of sections sharing parts (we parodied a couple of their songs and fanfares to a T doing that) but even still their melos and baritones can eat the rest of the band. For example: you gotta listen mighty damn hard to hear their trumpets on "Damn" which is one of their staples. As far as we go, it's not so much as the trumpets are weak, so much as other sections don't wanna dial it back. When they do (like with circle of life or tiger of san pedro) we sound like a complete university. And txsu sound like a high school all star band lol. Same with dega. They so focused on cranking on everybody, they have zero musicianship and it shows.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I see what you mean. It honestly depends on the year cuz we have a lot of trumpet heavy arrangements(or at least we did in 06) and the thing is, sometimes they shine, sometimes they get eaten by the baritones, melos, and even tubas. SU has come a long way sound wise, this is true, but they have the same issue. The secret with them is the arrangement style never changed. It's all natural keys with a lot of sections sharing parts (we parodied a couple of their songs and fanfares to a T doing that) but even still their melos and baritones can eat the rest of the band. For example: you gotta listen mighty damn hard to hear their trumpets on "Damn" which is one of their staples. As far as we go, it's not so much as the trumpets are weak, so much as other sections don't wanna dial it back. When they do (like with circle of life or tiger of san pedro) we sound like a complete university. And txsu sound like a high school all star band lol. Same with dega. They so focused on cranking on everybody, they have zero musicianship and it shows.

I love SU’s arrangement causes there are no empty holes in the music. It’s always a wall of sound coming at you.

We have that same cranking problem at Bama State. The whole staff need to be replaced. I rarely listen to a clip unless it’s when I marched cause I can’t stand the state of the program. I’d rather have Degas sound if we gonna focus on cranking

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
I love SU’s arrangement causes there are no empty holes in the music. It’s always a wall of sound coming at you.

We have that same cranking problem at Bama State. The whole staff need to be replaced. I rarely listen to a clip unless it’s when I marched cause I can’t stand the state of the program. I’d rather have Degas sound if we gonna focus on cranking
Bama state has a tempo issue more than anything. They play every song extra slow these days. So slow that they always get cut off because the ball back in play and they also usually miss the cut off and it sounds really bad. Yall sound infinitely better than dega though in my opinion. The tone is certainly there.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Bama state has a tempo issue more than anything. They play every song extra slow these days. So slow that they always get cut off because the ball back in play and they also usually miss the cut off and it sounds really bad. Yall sound infinitely better than dega though in my opinion. The tone is certainly there.

I’m just ready for the season to start.
Trying to hit up JSU-Cookman here in Atlanta, SU-FAMU, Boombox, Alcorn-SU, Bayou Classic, a TxSU game & some Fort Valley games

director_of_bands

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
qc NC

yall be dropping heat in the arena during the spring yall been on FIRE lately...kevin's heart :wow: only God can judge me :wow: yall got a better please me arrangement than jsu too...