The Official "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" Thread

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Iconic masks and costumes, meaning what the characters are known for. The red suit and mask is iconic to the High Evolutionary, even if he's not a widely known character. If I'm using the word incorrectly I apologize.

People know him to look one way, but they've decided to throw out that design and make up a new one. And the new one looks like shyt.
high-evolutionary.jpg

VS

FYZKSiaXEAEfC8m
Yeah I see what you mean they often go with a bland character design over their better comic book counterpart ( Taskmaster, Ronan
The accuser, Skaar, etc)

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Iconic masks and costumes, meaning what the characters are known for. The red suit and mask is iconic to the High Evolutionary, even if he's not a widely known character. If I'm using the word incorrectly I apologize.

People know him to look one way, but they've decided to throw out that design and make up a new one. And the new one looks like shyt.
high-evolutionary.jpg

VS

FYZKSiaXEAEfC8m
90% of the people watching this movie will likely have no idea what the original looks like or what the dude is even known for. Not sure why y'all continue to expect Marvel to cater to a niche part the fan base. In pure numbers casuals>comic book nerds

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
90% of the people watching this movie will likely have no idea what the original looks like or what the dude is even known for. Not sure why y'all continue to expect Marvel to cater to a niche part the fan base. In pure numbers casuals>comic book nerds
Exactly, they been moved on but comic readers still think they are the main audience.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU

Exactly, they been moved on but comic readers still think they are the main audience.
Ignoring the comics, aesthetically the design is just bad. He looks like a purple power ranger with someone's face stapled to the front of his helmet. I don't think the casuals feels any more catered to with the look they went for.

You guys forget, but early on the MCU was praised for respecting the source material and drawing more from the comics, as opposed to shyt like the X Men movies where everyone wore black leather, or all the different FF4 movies where they kept butchering Doom. Pulling from comics is the appeal of the MCU. If it didn't matter they could just be making up characters and storylines from scratch. Even if comic heads aren't the main audience, they're pulling shyt from something that has decades of quality testing and a certain level of "prestige", if you can call it that. We can look back and draw from the best stories and characters, and leave the stuff that isn't so great behind.
Sometimes when they change things up it works for the better, like Killmonger. Sometimes it turns out like shyt, like Gorr the God Butcher. I'm just saying, the High Evolutionary's design wasn't broken, so there was no reason to try and "fix" it. And if they still felt the need to fix it, a goofy looking guy in a purple suit was not the way to go with it. In my opinion of course.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Ignoring the comics, aesthetically the design is just bad. He looks like a purple power ranger with someone's face stapled to the front of his helmet. I don't think the casuals feels any more catered to with the look they went for.

You guys forget, but early on the MCU was praised for respecting the source material and drawing more from the comics, as opposed to shyt like the X Men movies where everyone wore black leather, or all the different FF4 movies where they kept butchering Doom. Pulling from comics is the appeal of the MCU. If it didn't matter they could just be making up characters and storylines from scratch. Even if comic heads aren't the main audience, they're pulling shyt from something that has decades of quality testing and a certain level of "prestige", if you can call it that. We can look back and draw from the best stories and characters, and leave the stuff that isn't so great behind.
Sometimes when they change things up it works for the better, like Killmonger. Sometimes it turns out like shyt, like Gorr the God Butcher. I'm just saying, the High Evolutionary's design wasn't broken, so there was no reason to try and "fix" it. And if they still felt the need to fix it, a goofy looking guy in a purple suit was not the way to go with it. In my opinion of course.
Even in the early MCU Tony, Cap even Spiderman spend a lot of the movies without their masks./helmets. It's just Hollywood, actors want you to know it's them.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Folks gotta realize these MCU joints are adaptations and not a direct remake of the comics. They’ll take inspiration from some things here and there, but not everything is going to look accurate to the source material and characters will continue to be adapted to different mediums than the comics.

I swear sometimes I hate even bringing up these films with the readers because they’ll always interject with some “They GOT to do it like this because such and such comic did it that way.” No, they don’t.

Last edited:

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Folks gotta realize these MCU joints are adaptations and not a direct remake of the comics. They’ll take inspiration from some things here and there, but not everything is going to look accurate to the source material and characters will continue to be adapted to different mediums than the comics.

I swear sometimes I hate even bringing up these films with the readers because they’ll always interject with some “They GOT to do it like this because such and such comic did it that way.” No, they don’t.
Unless you think they changed his design for the better, I don't know what you're trying to say. If they're going to adapt, then make it better, not worse. Some characters have shytty designs that can definitely be improved upon. Some characters have an iconic look that would be foolish to redesign.

Being an adaptation is a weak excuse to have a bad redesign. Are you honestly going to claim the purple suit looks better than the design from the comics?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Unless you think they changed his design for the better, I don't know what you're trying to say. If they're going to adapt, then make it better, not worse. Some characters have shytty designs that can definitely be improved upon. Some characters have an iconic look that would be foolish to redesign.

Being an adaptation is a weak excuse to have a bad redesign. Are you honestly going to claim the purple suit looks better than the design from the comics?
I honestly have no problems regarding High Evolutionary’s appearance here. I guess it helps that I didn’t really find his comic look all that iconic in the first place. This version comes across a little creepy with his face being stitched on like that. And for someone who likes to upgrade and modify beings, I think his look here makes more sense and fits in line with the general aesthetic in Gunn’s world.

I’ll save my full judgement for when the movie drops because two seconds worth of footage in the trailer and Chukwudi Iwuji cosplaying at Comic Con simply isn’t enough for me. Need to actually see how Gunn has Iwuji moving in the film. I mean, Riddler’s design in The Batman was a big departure from the norm in the comics, but Dano’s performance is what really sold everything.