The Official Formula 1 Thread 🏁

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Las Vegas night race confirmed for Thanksgiving 2023.

If Miami tickets are ridiculous, you'll need to be a millionaire to afford the ticket prices for this one. :francis:
there's an easy trick to this one. book at a hotel well in advance thanksgiving weekend or just walk the strip. if that picture on espn is a realistic chop, you can see that race for free*

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The real problem is none of these young drivers are interesting enough to gain and KEEP the attention of an American audience.
I don't agree. Netflix and social media will do plenty on that front. People love Max and Leclerc. My friend who sits next to me in my business class swears Max is clear of Hamilton. :mjpls:

They think Sainz and Norris are hilarious. People think Russell is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The spectacle races in Miami and Vegas are only going to help that.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Plus in America Ferrari and Mercedes are brands that people are READY to stan for :mjlol: Don't underestimate the auto whore culture we have in the states

Edit: Honda too :mjpls:
Yup, and unlike before, NASCAR isn't popular now like it was in the late 90's early 2000's. People aren't choosing between the two. F1 has full attention and American ownership that wants it to do well here.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I don't agree. Netflix and social media will do plenty on that front. People love Max and Leclerc. My friend who sits next to me in my business class swears Max is clear of Hamilton. :mjpls:

They think Sainz and Norris are hilarious. People think Russell is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The spectacle races in Miami and Vegas are only going to help that.
We’ll see. Personally, Leclerc is the drive I’m supporting from the young generation. I believe that most of these people support those other drivers only as a foil to Lewis. It’s amazing how many “new” Leclerc fans there are now that as things stand he’s the one competing with Max. Norris seems to get support from incel twitch gamers. Honestly I never hear anyone talk about Sainz outside of his looks. He’s clearly not on the level of Leclerc and Max. And George is just getting the standard Brit support. But this will all play itself out over a five year span. I stand by the notion The sport is going to have to whore itself out to maintain whatever fanbase it builds here. They’re already adding a parade bus for the team principals because of the DtS reality TV drama. How many TPs are going to play along and for how long? F1 has always been more of a club that “allows” outsiders to watch. What they’re trying to do now is very different. That’s why AD blew up so badly in their faces. The sport isn’t used to being held accountable like that. Euros will accept that and kind of move on, Americans won’t.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
We’ll see. Personally, Leclerc is the drive I’m supporting from the young generation. I believe that most of these people support those other drivers only as a foil to Lewis. It’s amazing how many “new” Leclerc fans there are now that as things stand he’s the one competing with Max. Norris seems to get support from incel twitch gamers. Honestly I never hear anyone talk about Sainz outside of his looks. He’s clearly not on the level of Leclerc and Max. And George is just getting the standard Brit support. But this will all play itself out over a five year span. I stand by the notion The sport is going to have to whore itself out to maintain whatever fanbase it builds here. They’re already adding a parade bus for the team principals because of the DtS reality TV drama. How many TPs are going to play along and for how long? F1 has always been more of a club that “allows” outsiders to watch. What they’re trying to do now is very different. That’s why AD blew up so badly in their faces. The sport isn’t used to being held accountable like that. Euros will accept that and kind of move on, Americans won’t.
Things change breh.

If people do get sick of it, then F1 will move the caravan somewhere else. But for right now, I see the next 3-5 years of F1 in America being pretty damn good for them. The media and fan growth is explosive, the venues are in destination cities, and the new regs seem to be providing good racing. VW just signed off on Porsche and Audi to join for 2026, so obviously people are seeing dollar signs for the series as a whole.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Forgot to mention.. sports media such as The Ringer have gone all in with F1 coverage and those podcasts have exploded as well.

Then there's this:

After opening with its largest cable audience in 27 years, Formula 1 surpassed that mark in week two.

Sunday’s Formula 1 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix averaged a 0.8 rating and 1.45 million viewers on ESPN, marking the largest live F1 audience since the 2014 Canadian GP on NBC (1.49M) and the largest on cable since the 1995 Brazilian GP on ESPN (1.74M). The first two races this season rank among the three most-watched ever on cable, with the previous week’s Bahrain opener ranking third at 1.35 million.

Two of the highest rated F1 races ever have happened in 2022. All others in the top 15 came on regular broadcast television. The younger generation also watched more F1 than they did NASCAR.

So it's not just a rich cac sport here either. The races have been dramatic and it's real racing going on out there. The new regulations have given more of an opportunity to pass once you've been passed... etc.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
One more thing.. Charles was always gonna be popular. Apart from the Netflix series.. he's a young man in his 20s.. he drives Ferrari and he's actually also a really good driver..

if that's not a recipe for bandwagon fandom then what is? Lol

EarlyEarly

Superstar
Daps
Don’t have Netflix and never seen an episode of drive to survive. Is it really that good?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Don’t have Netflix and never seen an episode of drive to survive. Is it really that good?
It's made for the fake drama and reality TV crowd :hubie:. If that's your thing then more power to you, but I couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode.

calh45

Cal
Daps
Things change breh.

If people do get sick of it, then F1 will move the caravan somewhere else. But for right now, I see the next 3-5 years of F1 in America being pretty damn good for them. The media and fan growth is explosive, the venues are in destination cities, and the new regs seem to be providing good racing. VW just signed off on Porsche and Audi to join for 2026, so obviously people are seeing dollar signs for the series as a whole.

I still think Sainz will get a championship by Max and Charles attrition if Mercedes doesn't stop being sloppy with their car, but the popularity of Nascar shows there's a ton of potentially for staying power with racing if they can pull off the close racing thing.

When Lewis retires I think I'll probably just go back to being a general fan of the sport, leaning toward McLaren because Senna was my original favorite driver.......or maybe Ferrari because I'm entertained by Leclerc's fukkery. I want to cheer for Checo, but I can't stand RBR's team.