The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Redbull was untouchable today.

Question...

Why are they so much faster at pit stops than other teams?

They always got 1.9 to 2.3 second stops

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
They probably have a better hub/nut design with less threads that is quicker to cycle. Mechanics might have a different placement that let's the wheel coming off get out of the way more quickly. I don't think they jack the car up quite as high, so less time to get it back on the ground. It could also be down to risk vs reward. I think I remember Mercedes being more willing to have a slightly slower stop if it's less error prone. RBR could just be going for broke every time. What's more, they generally always nail it when it counts; their slip ups might be less publicized during the race, probably because they're happening on the second car (not in a conspiracy type of way). Williams had sub 2 second stops for a while. But that was before they started falling off on the car side.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Last edited:

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There's a video I'm looking for, if anyone knows where to find it: some point in the past 3-5 years there was either a Sky Sports F1 commercial or a short special on Johnny Herbert about his crash at Brands Hatch.

Edit: Found it

Download link, if you so choose.

He also did a really good beyond the grid podcast episode where he spoke about it.

It's a miracle he's alive, and furthermore, that he can walk. Even him explaining the pain he starts the day with left me :ohhh:

Unfortunately, in this internet era, he will probably be best known for this.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lewis 17 sec down the road. Fastest lap on old tyres by 5 tenths...:whew:

Last edited: