Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

sportscribe

Superstar
Daps
you support chelsea but celebrating a liverpool vs spurs champions league final?

i thought the blues hated those ttwo?
I'm a Chelsea fan. Would rather Liverpool win than Spurs.

Liverpool-Chelsea was a rivarly at some point, but I think Mourinho and Rafa Benitez had a lot to do with that. Also there was the whole Lampard v Gerrard dynamic, and some battles in cup semi-finals and finals. The team I dislike the most is actually Man United.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Don't the top six want to reneg how their international contracts are set up? Keep the domestic TV revenue the same, but have the opportunity to individually structure their international revenue.

I get their play especially as the market worldwide has grown larger, particularly in the US. But this is where the grab for more money would dilute the entire competitiveness of the EPL and turn it into another La Liga, Serie A etc.

Exactly. They making enough bank, all in the top 12-15 revenues clubs, they don't need to change it, but they just being greedy.

And people can complain about the PL spending money on players, but that money filters itself all over europe. If the PL isn't spending money, then the mid tables teams in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, aren't spending, because they aren't getting the money for their players to retool their squad, which in turn impacts the smaller teams that they get their players from.

FlyBoy718

All Star
Daps
Reppin
BK
Literally stopped following the score on my phone based on Coli brehs commentary. Just got a amped text from my homeboy, who's a Gooners fan, asking th did I see the end. Holy shyt:ohhh:July has arrived early brehs. Too much fukkery. Coming off last summer's WC, Liverpool fighting to Championship Sunday for the League title, their comeback yesterday, and now THIS. The beautiful game:blessed:Will Kane be fit for the final? And ain't Copa this summer too? :wow:

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
So much fukkery in the semis

I can’t imagine being an Ajax fan right now :picard:

Unfortunately, I can. I still have nightmares of Sergio Ramos in 2014.

giphy.gif

Daps
The depth of the PL has to be what's helping these clubs find the fight to come back like this. Tottenham and Liverpool have to navigate a competitive top six where your Juves, your Bayerns, and your Ajaxes have none or one main competitors basically in the league every year.

On top of that, I think the EPL has the most competitive mid-table. I don't think La Liga or the Bundesliga really have the collection of squads that can hurt you on any given day like the EPL does. Playing the Watfords and Leicesters and Wolves of the league also helps keep you competitive each week. I know there's that "Can he do it in Stoke on a rainy Tuesday" joke about how the English tend to pump up their mid-table teams too much, but it's actually true at this point, I think.

Liverpool and Tottenham were in a fight every week that they're not playing Huddersfield this year. Even Fulham pushed Liverpool at Craven Cottage a few weeks ago. EPL squads are blooded in battle more than the other European leagues, I guess.

Then again, I could be wrong about the league preparing PL teams for CL play because Tottenham hasn't even won in the league in what seems like forever, but somehow they're pulling off three-goal comebacks away from home. Maybe Pochettino just decided to focus on winning CL rather than to bother with getting top four. :lolbron: