Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Yup. 1 drop rule doesn't apply to Brazilians which is why cats like Neymar :neymarwtf: go out of their way to say they aint black. But to be fair and perhaps @THEREALBRAND can shed some light on it, but I can't remember anything akin to a "black is beautiful" or civil rights movement coming out of Brazil. But im not sure.

Black and mixed race people combined are like 50% of the country...not to mention the Pardos who consider themselves white....African blood runs through the VAST majority of the country. Its just odd to me as an Black American that is not claimed.

Pro-black movements definitely existed, but after the military coup of the 60s a lot of progressive causes and civil rights organizations were shut down. Even with the repressive military regime in control there were still pro-black groups, but they didn’t really become mainstream until the abertura política in the late 70s. That’s when you had groups like the Movimento Negro Unificado start to rise in prominence.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of blacks at that time were poor and uneducated. It wasn’t like in the US where you had a thriving middle class of educated black people.

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Brazil has more nikkas than the US breh. More slaves were taken to Brazil than any other place on earth.
not really. most of those "afro" brazilians are pardos. Willian is a black brazilian. Ronaldo 9 is pardo. So are Dinho and Neymar. less than 10% of Brazil is black, which is a huge lot but alot you all get confused when it comes to knowing the difference between a pardo and how most of American blacks are on the Willian side of the spectrum than a Neymar or Ronaldo side of the spectrum. You can't really ignore that when comparing it with the US.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Pro-black movements definitely existed, but after the military coup of the 60s a lot of progressive causes and civil rights organizations were shut down. Even with the repressive military regime in control there were still pro-black groups, but they didn’t really become mainstream until the abertura política in the late 70s. That’s when you had groups like the Movimento Negro Unificado start to rise in prominence.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of blacks at that time were poor and uneducated. It wasn’t like in the US where you had a thriving middle class of educated black people.

I mean so were American Blacks, but we had our "talented tenth" if you will. There WAS a black intelligentsia and a black high society that came out of the 20's and the Harlem Renaissance. I really need to read up more about Brazil's history its one of the most fascinating places on earth to me and yet I know nothing about it outside of football, City of God and Astrud Gilberto. :manny:

not really. most of those "afro" brazilians are pardos. Willian is a black brazilian. Ronaldo 9 is pardo. So are Dinho and Neymar. less than 10% of Brazil is black, which is a huge lot but alot you all get confused when it comes to knowing the difference between a pardo and how most of American blacks are on the Willian side of the spectrum than a Neymar or Ronaldo side of the spectrum. You can't really ignore that when comparing it with the US.

Most Black American's don't look like Willian, I don't look ANYTHING like Willian. Hell I got a homie that favors Neymar...another that looks EXACTLY like Marcelo, and my boss looks like an old ass Ousmane Dembele :russ: African-American's are just as visually diverse as Brazilians...prolly more so to be honest because of our immigrant culture.

The Pardo thing is the trip up..its not appearance really, because literally ALL of those dude woulda been just "black" in the US. Besides Fat Ronaldo...who woulda been called Puerto Rican :heh:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Most Black American's don't look like Willian, I don't look ANYTHING like Willian. Hell I got a homie that favors Neymar...another that looks EXACTLY like Marcelo, and my boss looks like an old ass Ousmane Dembele :russ: African-American's are just as visually diverse as Brazilians...prolly more so to be honest because of our immigrant culture.

The Pardo thing is the trip up..its not appearance really, because literally ALL of those dude woulda been just "black" in the US. Besides Fat Ronaldo...who woulda been called Puerto Rican :heh:
so do I, I even have one that look like Curry. Doesn't change the fact that most AA re closer to Willian complexion and hair texture than Marcelo's complexion and hair texture. Obviously over here they would be black, but in Brazil there are far more pardos than blacks.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
so do I, I even have one that look like Curry. Doesn't change the fact that most AA re closer to Willian complexion and hair texture than Marcelo's complexion and hair texture. Obviously over here they would be black, but in Brazil there are far more pardos than blacks.

Things is this. What is considered Pardo in Brazil would be black in America.

America is the "one drop" rule. Brazil is more nuanced so it seems like people are running away from being "black", especially when being black usually means less access than other groups.

So UnThotful

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TSC/Icey/ByrdGang
@THEREALBRAND my Brasil jersey just arrived from China

The blue is better in person

89882015b9783feceeddfa85cfd71b0fa2f7b6a21313fd604953a5fc93fda464e88a21bf.jpg

Daps
Reppin
NYC
They need to just suspend this match between Juve and Bayern. Pouring rain, fans look miserable, stadium is empty, players look miserable. Just cancel this shyt and hold a training session tomorrow.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo

The Tite deal is official. For his sake I hope he delivers at the Copa America next year. A lot of fans and media are just waiting to tear him a part.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo

Huge game today, I think we can actually win with Jair Ventura gone. I like the lineup Chulapa is putting out there with four attacking players, and moving Gabi back to his natural position.

campinho.png