Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

DillaTUDE

Superstar
Daps
This fool said Thiago was the biggest mistake of Barca's recent transfers....but at least the got actual money for Thiago *looks @ Dani Alves*

BUT they do bring up a good point. Barca hasn't really been the same Barca since Puyol left. There's a lack of fire in the side some times. He truly was a captain's captain. Actually see Aurier before Bellerin, he provides the physicality and pace and handles the ball better than Hector. Hector also loves London. I can't see him leaving. Also, for as much as I want Ozil to go to Barca and prove his true creative talent he doesn't have the drive off the ball to play into the system. Veratti by far is the best fit for Barca in the middle.

Now, Dybala....YESSSSSSSSSSS. I want him in Barcelona more than Coutinho for sure. Change to a 4-2-3-1 or even if they keep the 4-3-3 and plop him right behind that front 3. He'll have to be more of a creative force but i think it can work.

I think Dembele AND Mbappe will both be in England next year. Especially if Diego Costa leaves Chelsea.

Dani Alves' replacement in Sergi Roberto provided the heroics for Barcelona this season with not only a last minute goal against PSG at home, but also with his 50-60 meter run in the dying seconds of the El Classico match that set up Messi's winner. He's definitely no Alves, but Sergi has had a decent season this year.

Had Thiago stayed with Barcelona he would have undoubtedly been Iniesta's successor, instead they have had to rely on the likes of Andre Gomes and Denis Suarez to fill in for Iniesta for much of this season. I think the lack of creativity in the final 2/3 of the field has stood out more for Barcelona (with Iniesta out), more so than for what they lost in defense by letting Alves leave, hence both Neymar and Messi (especially) having to play a lot deeper role this season in order to help Barcelona's midfield retain possession. I think this is one of the reasons as to why Neymar's goals have been much lower this season, while at the same time he ended up surpassing Xavi by setting a new record for the amount of assists in the UCL this season.

Also, despite how well Alves' has played this season at Juve, I feel like they have a much bigger problem at the left-back position with Jordi Alba more so than they do at the right-back position with Sergi Roberto. Alba is a lot more defensively flawed (allowing his man to score the header against Deportivo La Coruna which essentially sealed La Liga for Real Madrid, failing to track James Rodriguez in the away El Classico fixture which allowed him to score the 2-2 equalizer, Barca only conceding one goal against PSG with him out the starting line-up when they let in four when he was playing, etc.) and he doesn't link up with Neymar that well at all. I'm hoping he gets replaced or Barca adopt a 3 at the back formation for next season.

And yeah, Dybala is definitely more of a fit for Barcelona than Coutinho who is completely overrated. I think he would thrive in a 3-4-3 formation similar to the one Barcelona used in their home tie against PSG this year. They had a diamond midfield with Busquets in the holding position, had Messi playing as CAM and Rafinha as the right winger. Instead, just insert Dybala in the line-up for Rafinha. If Barca could get another fast young CB to link up with Umtiti (who IMO has been a top 5 defender in Europe this season) and Pique (still great, but is vulnerable on the counter due to his lack of pace) that formation could be real lethal for them.

International Playa

Playa with a Passport
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looks like James Rodriguez to Man utd deal is damn near official, all sport news outlets reporting the same story.

Good player, but feel EPL will be too physical for him, he too much of a skinny dude

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Remembering the Chelsea team of 96-97 and a wonderful era for the Prem - Planet Football

Twenty years ago today, Chelsea won their first major honour since 1970 when they beat Middlesbrough to lift the FA Cup. Times were changing…

In the spring of 1997, Chelsea fan and still-relevant musician Suggs released ‘Blue Day’, the West London club’s official FA Cup final song ahead of their victory over Middlesbrough at the old Wembley Stadium.

The Madness frontman is joined in the video by a squad of Blues players, each with varying degrees of enthusiasm, all watching on as he sings “We’ve got some memories, albeit from the seventies”.

Looking at Chelsea now, celebrating winning their second Premier League title in three years, it seems bizarre to think that – just two decades ago – they were a team still waxing lyrical about past glories. The ‘you ain’t got no history’ accusations may be wide of the mark, but they weren’t close to the team they are today.

20 years already, bwoy. :wow: What a team.

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Looks like James Rodriguez to Man utd deal is damn near official, all sport news outlets reporting the same story.

Good player, but feel EPL will be too physical for him, he too much of a skinny dude

Lol the hell they need James for? :dahell:

United just throwing money everywhere with no real plan watch Mouringo get sacked within 2 seasons

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Dani Alves' replacement in Sergi Roberto provided the heroics for Barcelona this season with not only a last minute goal against PSG at home, but also with his 50-60 meter run in the dying seconds of the El Classico match that set up Messi's winner. He's definitely no Alves, but Sergi has had a decent season this year.

Had Thiago stayed with Barcelona he would have undoubtedly been Iniesta's successor, instead they have had to rely on the likes of Andre Gomes and Denis Suarez to fill in for Iniesta for much of this season. I think the lack of creativity in the final 2/3 of the field has stood out more for Barcelona (with Iniesta out), more so than for what they lost in defense by letting Alves leave, hence both Neymar and Messi (especially) having to play a lot deeper role this season in order to help Barcelona's midfield retain possession. I think this is one of the reasons as to why Neymar's goals have been much lower this season, while at the same time he ended up surpassing Xavi by setting a new record for the amount of assists in the UCL this season.

Also, despite how well Alves' has played this season at Juve, I feel like they have a much bigger problem at the left-back position with Jordi Alba more so than they do at the right-back position with Sergi Roberto. Alba is a lot more defensively flawed (allowing his man to score the header against Deportivo La Coruna which essentially sealed La Liga for Real Madrid, failing to track James Rodriguez in the away El Classico fixture which allowed him to score the 2-2 equalizer, Barca only conceding one goal against PSG with him out the starting line-up when they let in four when he was playing, etc.) and he doesn't link up with Neymar that well at all. I'm hoping he gets replaced or Barca adopt a 3 at the back formation for next season.

And yeah, Dybala is definitely more of a fit for Barcelona than Coutinho who is completely overrated. I think he would thrive in a 3-4-3 formation similar to the one Barcelona used in their home tie against PSG this year. They had a diamond midfield with Busquets in the holding position, had Messi playing as CAM and Rafinha as the right winger. Instead, just insert Dybala in the line-up for Rafinha. If Barca could get another fast young CB to link up with Umtiti (who IMO has been a top 5 defender in Europe this season) and Pique (still great, but is vulnerable on the counter due to his lack of pace) that formation could be real lethal for them.

I totally agree that Alba is flawed but he's a proven winner and he may not have the ability of Alves he's performed for years, the problem is that Mache and Pique are slow so he can't risk cutting in with the ball at his feet like he should, it takes away alot from his game. But even with that, that back 4 with Alves are multi-La Liga champs, UCL champs, and Club World Cup Champs you aren't garbage with that history.

But I still think that Alves' presence not only on the pitch with his energy but also his energy in the team in general is missing. And while Sergi is the living embodiment of the versatility of Barca bred players, his pace and defending is suspect in some instances. I'm not saying he's garbage at all, but unless something magical happens he's going to want to inherit that midfield as he's be bred to do.

Also totally agree with Dybala for Rafinha. And I think before Umtiti the back 3 wasn't even viable for Barca. His move to the team was by far the best move they made last season EASY.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sergi does a job there in the same way that Lahm or Alaba did for Bayern in midfield but that does not mean it is a good idea to keep them there. The reason Alves is a huge hole for Barca is that he linked up well with Messi on the right, they had chemistry that you cannot replace with a defender who is not as adept at playing like a wingback. He had a good 2015 when Messi reverted back to the right wing and they continued playing well there. The drop off from Dani Alves to Sergio is actually quite huge when you just take the style into consideration. It could have been mitigated if they went back to the 2011 model when Abidal used to tuck back in and become part of back 3 allowing a lopsided formation but only this time with Alba the more offensive.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS

United just throwing money everywhere with no real plan watch Mouringo get sacked within 2 seasons
there was really no need for him at United unless Mou wants to continue with that 4231 formation and that doesn't suit Pogba. Plus I don't think he would succeed in Mou's negative system. He should have gone to Inter

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

After Ferguson their board has tried to use the check book and do a "Galactico" type strategy. They need to build around Pogba and somewhat replicate what Juve did with him which means buying a CM with Modric like capabilities and have Pogba play in a free role without as much defending. I think they need a striker, Rooney is past it even though his mates in the media go hard for him:mjlol: Heard Neville shilling for him yesterday, its pathetic