Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
3774D15200000578-3751436-Jair_Costa_right_posed_this_picture_revealing_his_striking_resem-a-1_1471776615353.jpg

Costa posing with his younger brother and Messi :obama:

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
For all the FM heads:

Back in the early 1990s, EA Sports were approached by the creators of the ‘Football Manager’ series and asked if they had any interest in developing the game they had designed in their bedroom.

Brothers Paul and Oliver Collyer were hoping to publish their simple football management simulator game called ‘European Champions’, but EA passed on the basis that there was no way on Earth they’d be able to successfully flog a sports game that featured no “live action” .

Unfortunately for EA, after a bit of tinkering ‘European Champions’ soon morphed first into the popular ‘Championship Manager’ franchise and then, latterly, into the multi-million selling, life-dominating phenomenon that is Football Manager.

On display in the National Football Museum is the very rejection letter the Collyer brothers received from EA in 1991, which includes a hand-written note warning that the demo disks they’d sent in were actually infected by a virus…

EA-Rejection-Letter-football-manager-650x894.jpg

Skip forward a year and Championship Manager was taken up by Eidos, who went on to sell 6 million copies of the game as it quickly became the most popular football management sim of the late 90s and early 2000s.

The Collyers’ development company, Sports Interactive, then severed ties with Eidos, taking their game engine and database and partnering up with Sega, who launched the first instalment of the newly re-branded Football Manager series in 2004.

The rest, as they say, was bloody lucrative for all concerned.

As for EA Sport, they were forced to scrape by on the meagre returns they continue to recoup from their piddly little FIFA games.

Hindsight can be a cruel so-and-so sometimes.

:wow:

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Nah but really with Leicester in pot 1, Arsenal and Man shytty in pot 2, and Spurs in 3, this CL draw is about to be some fukkery :leostare:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
For all the FM heads:

EA-Rejection-Letter-football-manager-650x894.jpg

:wow:
FM games are hella addictive. I played two of them, and the last one was in college nearly a decade ago. After some time, I basically uninstalled and deleted all my saves because its one of the 'one more match/week' games that really ate up my time :heh: My favorite shyt was to pick a garbage team in second division and eventually go on to win champs league and also try to get a national team job :wow:

MikeyC

The Coli Royal Rumble Champion 2019
Daps
Reppin
London
Fifa >>>>>>>

:whoa:

Ain't a competition. They're both GOAT at what they do.

FM games are hella addictive. I played two of them, and the last one was in college nearly a decade ago. After some time, I basically uninstalled and deleted all my saves because its one of the 'one more match/week' games that really ate up my time :heh: My favorite shyt was to pick a garbage team in second division and eventually go on to win champs league and also try to get a national team job :wow:

shyt is literally heroin in digital form. :merchant:

That "One more Game" mentality has cost me IRL money, p*ssy, family time, opportunities.:snoop:

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ:
The Guardian had an article about FM addiction and it was :heh:

It has been during his time in charge of Blyth that Jameson has displayed the kind of obsessive-bordering-on-mentally-unstable behaviour that separates a casual Football Manager player from a genuine addict. "The worst it got was probably when I reacted to getting a touchline ban by playing the game from outside my room," he says. "I hit start, left the room, came in again at half-time, hit start and left again. It was a Champions League tie against Espanyol. We lost 1-0."

We heard some horror stories," he says. "There was the student whose friends staged an intervention, holding him down and smashing the disk in front of him, and then the chap, another journalist, whose wife found him sat with his head in his hands in the kitchen late one night. 'What's wrong?' she said. 'I've been sacked,' he mumbled. His wife burst into tears. She was pregnant, they'd just taken out a mortgage, she was terrified for their future. It took him several minutes to clarify that he'd only been sacked on a computer game, not in real life."