Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
[...]
@Liu Kang allez is you go in vous form I know that but as a command like allez! it means come on but can it mean let's go! as well? Allons-y doesn't roll off the tongue like allez pause
Post would have been way easier to understand with quotes breh. Had to re-read it 4 times to get it properly. :ld:

So, "allez" alone without the "vous" pronoun before is the imperative mood and can mean "come on" when you saying to yourself. It could mean "let's go" (rarely imo) when you talking to a group though it would more been a frustrated/fed up "let's go" as in "come on brehs... let's go :/". Plus, it would more be something like "allez, là..." or "allez..." (the fed up way) while "allez !" would be the frustrated way (translated into "Come, on !!" with both words separated by a little silence if you know what I mean).

"Allons-y" is not really used verbally between young people even though it's the correct grammatical way (first person in plural) and a literal translation would be "let's go there" (because of the "-y"). "Allons-y" is mostly used by people in a position of authority (teacher, boss or older people) talking to younger people, talking politely, or talking to people lower than them in the hierarchy. It's very formal.

If you're talking to a group of people your age or that you know and mean to give a command or simply to tell them it's time to go, you'd rather use "on y va" (sometimes, preceded by "allez" as in "allez, on y va !" (come on, let's go !) to engage the movement) which is the verbal way of saying "let's go" (not the written one which would be "allons-y"). "On" is a third person singular pronoun but is widely used verbally like a first person plural pronoun meaning then "me and you".

For example, the Spanish use "Vamos" (or Vamonos, depending) which is the translation of "Allons" and means both the "let's go" command (to a group) and the "come on" shout to oneself which is both grammatically correct verbally and written. While us French verbally use the second person plural to encourage ourself/ves and the third person singular to give a command.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Like fukk Oliver Kahn, but he's the greatest so.....

Would just repeat what other people have typed. It sounds fukked to call people "proper" fans but that's what it is. People don't know. For the generation after the OG 1994 generation, 2002 was the rite of passage. I literally cannot take people's opinions seriously if they weren't around then.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Today is the 8th Annual "Red Bulls Destroy Toronto FC's Chances Of Making The Playoffs By Blowing Them The fukk Out Late In The Season At Home Day" :laff:

:ahh:
:ahh::ahh::ahh::ahh:

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tumblr_mkoq0talKa1rdsiguo1_400.gif

Grams

Grams Grands Gucci G'd Up
Daps
Reppin
Eastside
Today is the 8th Annual "Red Bulls Destroy Toronto FC's Chances Of Making The Playoffs By Blowing Them The fukk Out Late In The Season At Home Day" :laff:

MLS has come a loooooooooooooooooong way :scusthov: I'll never forget the Giants Stadium days

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Low-key tho, Twista and Trey Songs should have made an album together.

Feeling Twista's latest shyt too :manny:

KingHurst

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
king Kenny is gonna be giving king suarez the golden boot this week:wow:

king Kenny passing the torch to the new king:blessed:

concise

Veteran
Daps

I thought the game was gonna be on tv live. Tape delay at 10:30 tonight. :mindblown: