Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's more to it though.

*I'm gonna get a bit sentimental here, bare with me:to:*

I remember, back when I was a kid, when I still watched American football, I loved the Broncos and we won back to back Super Bowls. I can still name almost everyone from both those squads. The thing what was brilliant because there was still that communal coming together of the city, the state, neighborhoods, that we'd actually won something. Our team won it all, twice. My friends still talk about those Bronco squads and those are indelible memories in Colorado and Denver.

With soccer, at least in Colorado, no one really watches it. People play it to be sure, but in terms of that fan community it's nonexistent. I compare the Rapids to the Nuggets in the late 90s, dirt cheap tickets and families that go to the game to take their minds off things for a bit and have the kids shut up for a while. There are 2 bars that are 'soccer bars' that serve knock off overpriced English food and expensive imported beers. They have those chintzy scarves hanging up, random football memorabilia that the bar owner picked up from some money-grabbing international friendly. It's bullshyt, can't stand it.

imo part of what makes sports fanhood so great is that there is that community, that sort of passion of the crowd, going through shyt together, winning things together. With soccer, here in my neck of the woods, it's me sitting hungover every saturday morning at 5AM in the glow of my laptop or tv alone for hours chopping it up with you guys (relax, you guys are great). If there's a big match I'll go to the bar (Champions League Final et. al.) but that's about it.

Thus, in my heart of hearts, it's hard for me to get excited about winning things. Celebrating on some digital forum? Please. I'll take my moments of good football, be glad that I saw it, and be happy with that.*

*I still reserve the right to rub noses in it if Arsenal win anything :mjpls:

Ok, I see where you're coming from. I will put it one way to you though. When it comes to London teams, unless you live in the area where the football team plays, its farking hard to generate a big enough group of friends that all support the same team (it can be done tho). You can do that in like Manchester or Liverpool (which is one of the reasons why their fanbases are top notch) but over here its really hard....so that whole community thing you was talking about is lost on most of us too.

Grams

Grams Grands Gucci G'd Up
Daps
Reppin
Eastside
Just got this scathing attack in my e-mail

Dhuu6TC.jpg

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Tbf tho mate, a lot of you lot on here support the team just as hard as people who actually live here. Trust me. Not all the fans watch every game for a start, and you lot have to go out of your way to do so (streaming on the internet, getting up at odd times) so you lot are gucci as far as the 'real' fan debate goes
look at that, justification for bandwagoning :mjpls:

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
Objective cost of players :leon:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...-60-most-valuable-players-this-summer-170602/

"The ‘market value’ takes into account each player’s age and position, their contract situation, international experience, the ‘sporting’ strength of the club for whom they play and a range of specific performance criteria relating to the 2012-13 season.

The calculations have been made by the academic team at the CIES Football Observatory in Switzerland, with an ‘objective’ market value given to each of 3,032 players across the 98 clubs who played their league football in the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 in 2012-13"

Big-5-most-%C2%A3-players-1.6.13.jpg

PL-values.jpg

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Tbf tho mate, a lot of you lot on here support the team just as hard as people who actually live here. Trust me. Not all the fans watch every game for a start, and you lot have to go out of your way to do so (streaming on the internet, getting up at odd times) so you lot are gucci as far as the 'real' fan debate goes
Basically. Don't gas locals who aren't season ticket holders and/or away attendees. And frankly, to some extent, these can be more socially than support orientated. I lived with a mate the other year who was from wembley that went to the Henry flick and smash over Barthez game, but I would regularly tell him when our next games was and watch more than him, and am not hakf as interested as I was in my younger days. Not aware of a better Arsenal blogger than 7am kickoff, either.