Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I don't even particularly care about winning things. Just let me see some good football.

Earrings need to go though :camby:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
look at how mad Cristiano is :heh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2410973/Cristiano-Ronaldo-angry-Mesut-Ozil-transfer-Real-Madrid-Arsenal.html

next summer, you two can be reunited, Cristiano
Xg0icDK.png

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
I just don't see a way to spin it. ozil is a great signing. Even just the intent and the boost it gives to the rest of the Arsenal players.

I'm pretty happy about Fellaini, I just wish we didn't do it looking like clowns. :manny:

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't even particularly care about winning things. Just let me see some good football.

Earrings need to go though :camby:

I'm kinda the opposite way breh. I'd actually put up with garbage football if it meant we would win things. Done that pretty football, not winning fark all thing and tbh I wasn't in love with it :yeshrug:. It actually infuriated me more that in the past we have played a better brand of football than most teams and couldn't win anything.

Also, i'm tired of Arsenal being an easy target and want them to get back to a position of being genuinely feared by other teams and their fans.

I'd had friends who're man u supporters congratulate me over the ozil transfer saying it'll be good for Arsenal. Dose types of backhanded compliments are ether to me :to:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I'm kinda the opposite way breh. I'd actually put up with garbage football if it meant we would win things. Done that pretty football, not winning fark all thing and tbh I wasn't in love with it :yeshrug:. It actually infuriated me more that in the past we have played a better brand of football than most teams and couldn't win anything.

Also, i'm tired of Arsenal being an easy target and want them to get back to a position of being genuinely feared by other teams and their fans.

I'd had friends who're man u supporters congratulate me over the ozil transfer saying it'll be good for Arsenal. Dose types of backhanded compliments are ether to me :to:

I hear ya. It's different from me and you. You're actually from the UK. I mean, yeah, I watch every Arsenal match, but it's simply different.

I'm not knocking diehard Arsenal fans who live abroad, US, Asia, wherever, if you feel strongly about winning things, by all means support.

But this of course is the age old debate about real fans etc. that's been discussed time immemorial.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Ozil signin for Arsenal is great for the PL. It means a proper top player in world football, top 3-5 in his position (not a potential player, decline or a player comin off a flop move from elsewhere, which is what the PL teams usually sign) comes into the league and didnt go to the usual suspects of Chelsea, Citeh & United.

Last edited:

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hear ya. It's different from me and you. You're actually from the UK. I mean, yeah, I watch every Arsenal match, but it's simply different.

I'm not knocking diehard Arsenal fans who live abroad, US, Asia, wherever, if you feel strongly about winning things, by all means support.

But this of course is the age old debate about real fans etc. that's been discussed time immemorial.

Tbf tho mate, a lot of you lot on here support the team just as hard as people who actually live here. Trust me. Not all the fans watch every game for a start, and you lot have to go out of your way to do so (streaming on the internet, getting up at odd times) so you lot are gucci as far as the 'real' fan debate goes

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Tbf tho mate, a lot of you lot on here support the team just as hard as people who actually live here. Trust me. Not all the fans watch every game for a start, and you lot have to go out of your way to do so (streaming on the internet, getting up at odd times) so you lot are gucci as far as the 'real' fan debate goes

There's more to it though.

*I'm gonna get a bit sentimental here, bare with me:to:*

I remember, back when I was a kid, when I still watched American football, I loved the Broncos and we won back to back Super Bowls. I can still name almost everyone from both those squads. The thing what was brilliant because there was still that communal coming together of the city, the state, neighborhoods, that we'd actually won something. Our team won it all, twice. My friends still talk about those Bronco squads and those are indelible memories in Colorado and Denver.

With soccer, at least in Colorado, no one really watches it. People play it to be sure, but in terms of that fan community it's nonexistent. I compare the Rapids to the Nuggets in the late 90s, dirt cheap tickets and families that go to the game to take their minds off things for a bit and have the kids shut up for a while. There are 2 bars that are 'soccer bars' that serve knock off overpriced English food and expensive imported beers. They have those chintzy scarves hanging up, random football memorabilia that the bar owner picked up from some money-grabbing international friendly. It's bullshyt, can't stand it.

imo part of what makes sports fanhood so great is that there is that community, that sort of passion of the crowd, going through shyt together, winning things together. With soccer, here in my neck of the woods, it's me sitting hungover every saturday morning at 5AM in the glow of my laptop or tv alone for hours chopping it up with you guys (relax, you guys are great). If there's a big match I'll go to the bar (Champions League Final et. al.) but that's about it.

Thus, in my heart of hearts, it's hard for me to get excited about winning things. Celebrating on some digital forum? Please. I'll take my moments of good football, be glad that I saw it, and be happy with that.*

*I still reserve the right to rub noses in it if Arsenal win anything :mjpls: