Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
English game is geared towards results. There's so much money involved now. Teams fear innovation because margins are to small.
Worst thing that happened to united was losing Carlos Queiroz as #2 a few years back. We'll never win Europe playing 442.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Meh, while the article does have some merit, but the average EPL managers life expectancy is what 18-24 months? And outside of the big teams everyone else cannot fork out £8m+ on a young foreigner player from a different part of the world who is goin to need time to adapt to a totally different climate of doin things. Its easier to sell a player and get most of/if not all of your money back dealing between EPL, not much so in the rest of europe as everyone tries to do thnigs on the cheap. As we know for what over half of the EPL teams stayin in the league is more important due to the money, as that is everything. Plus work permits are a bytch

Uncle Festa had the chance to sign Falcao & Pastore but didnt back then aswell.

Pastores form has been inconsistent since he joined PSG, as Ligue 1 is probably the closest league to the EPL in terms of physical play, the EPL would of been too quick for him.

Falcao was hawked around Europe for everyone when he was at River.

It would've been a complete car wreck on and off the pitch for the reasons but Stoke has the money and Pulis had the job security. Stoke are one of the few clubs that could take a risk like Pastore imo even if it would've been their club record fee.

Agree on fees, they would take a massive loss on someone like Pastore versus someone like Crouch or Kenwyne.

Think I read yesterday 55 of the 92 league managers have been in their jobs for less than a year.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Falcao was hawked around Europe for everyone when he was at River.

It would've been a complete car wreck on and off the pitch for the reasons but Stoke has the money and Pulis had the job security. Stoke are one of the few clubs that could take a risk like Pastore imo even if it would've been their club record fee.

Agree on fees, they would take a massive loss on someone like Pastore versus someone like Crouch or Kenwyne.

Think I read yesterday 55 of the 92 league managers have been in their jobs for less than a year.

It was rumoured that River turned down $15m bid for him by Milan a year before he actually left. :manny:

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I read the article and even the author acknowledges the thin line between success and failures. Forlan was like night and day with United and Villareal/Atletico particularly his 09 season. A lot of it is hindsight too, would Pastore have turned out the way he did at Palermo compared to Stoke. It is clear that there is a type of player that is expected to excel in England compared to Spain i.e very athletic and physical but even that is a stereotypical view of the English game. Liverpool under Daglish stoked up on "Prem proven" players and look how that turned out.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Yeah but invariably that stereotype tends to run true, which I've said a few times before, low skill efficient automatons who like to run.

And under Liverpool Carroll wasn't prem proven, Henderson either, and Downing was I suppose but his stats related to moneyball were fraudulent because he took so many corners at Middlesbrough and so many attacks passed through him.

But Suarez was a masterstroke and Meireles as well (which I don't think Dalglsh bought but nonetheless got the best out of him) so that sorta throws a wrench into many theories.

But that's neither here nor there. The point with transfers is it's not the mode of play that teams carry out in any specific league but it would probably behoove clubs to accomodate foreigners as best they can with their homes, culture etc. to bring out the best of the player.

Morale, comfort, feelings of isolation, and of course confidence probably weigh much more into performance than we think than being tackled hard.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
fukk... went from maybe getting a triple to getting one. fukk, fukk, fukk.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Yeah but invariably that stereotype tends to run true, which I've said a few times before, low skill efficient automatons who like to run.

And under Liverpool Carroll wasn't prem proven, Henderson either, and Downing was I suppose but his stats related to moneyball were fraudulent because he took so many corners at Middlesbrough and so many attacks passed through him.

But Suarez was a masterstroke and Meireles as well (which I don't think Dalglsh bought but nonetheless got the best out of him) so that sorta throws a wrench into many theories.

But that's neither here nor there. The point with transfers is it's not the mode of play that teams carry out in any specific league but it would probably behoove clubs to accomodate foreigners as best they can with their homes, culture etc. to bring out the best of the player.

Morale, comfort, feelings of isolation, and of course confidence probably weigh much more into performance than we think than being tackled hard.

This is very true, Milan do a great job of that. Veron said United helped him out a great deal to a point his wife cried when they had to leave Manchester but he just couldn't fit in with United's style.

Think Kunty was saying Prem Proven was key in terms of moving players on if they move didn't work out more so than talent. Wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool got 15-20 for Carroll despite how bad he has been. You aren't getting that if you bought an Argentinean Carroll with a similar track record.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Never understood why that Tommy Sotomayor fella was so popular on the coli but just watched one of his videos :heh: funny as fack tbf.