Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I respect it. Can’t expect to be called up for your national team when the majority of your weekly competition are part time Imams. Unless you’re that good or a legacy player for your country :camby:

Let’s not act like tournament football isn’t 7-8 games max at one go.

Kante and Laporte were some of the best players at the last Euros. Just because you go to Saudi today doesn’t mean everything you’ve learned as a footballer prior is a wash…

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I think he would fit Chelsea or even liverpool

I really don't think he fits in England.

He would fit Pool like a glove. He needs to be in a team that just has the striker as the final tip of the spear. Doesn’t really need to be involved in play, but can run channels and get on the end of final balls.

That release clause, however, is still too high imo. No need for one or these contract extensions..

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Let’s not act like tournament football isn’t 7-8 games max at one go.

Kante and Laporte were some of the best players at the last Euros. Just because you go to Saudi today doesn’t mean everything you’ve learned as a footballer prior is a wash…

Kante and Laporte have a track record of success at the highest level though. Bergwijn hasn’t had the necessary career to guarantee a place in the national squad without playing at the highest level. He’s arguably the fourth LW option anyway with Gapko, Malen (and Simons, if necessary) ahead of him.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I know he's old now but the way Kroos and Modric carried him was wild. The things he used to get away with in La Liga had me saying all sorts of cuss words at the TV
:russ:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Kante and Laporte have a track record of success at the highest level though. Bergwijn hasn’t had the necessary career to guarantee a place in the national squad without playing at the highest level. He’s arguably the fourth LW option anyway with Gapko, Malen (and Simons, if necessary) ahead of him.

That’s fine if Steven isn’t good enough, sure. I’m more so going at the notion that once a player goes to Saudi they are washed.

Let’s say, for argument sake,Yamime Lamal went to Saudi in the summer of 2025. Does that mean if he were to get called up to the Spanish NT for the 2026 WC that “he’s no longer good enough?” It’s almost as if the moment you sign for Saudi you forget how to trap a ball or play a through pass.

The whole point of the NT manager is to find players that are good enough for the system. Regardless of what league they play in. Generally, yes, the best players will play in the best leagues, but let’s not act like just because someone is in Saudi they can’t do a job, especially in tournament football that is so short.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
That’s fine if Steven isn’t good enough, sure. I’m more so going at the notion that once a player goes to Saudi they are washed.

Let’s say, for argument sake,Yamime Lamal went to Saudi in the summer of 2025. Does that mean if he were to get called up to the Spanish NT for the 2026 WC that “he’s no longer good enough?” It’s almost as if the moment you sign for Saudi you forget how to trap a ball or play a through pass.

The whole point of the NT manager is to find players that are good enough for the system. Regardless of what league they play in. Generally, yes, the best players will play in the best leagues, but let’s not act like just because someone is in Saudi they can’t do a job, especially in tournament football that is so short.

If Yamal went to Saudi next year, he would have totally dominate the league to warrant starting for Spain because the level of competition and coaching in that league is way below the level of the top European leagues.

If he went over there and was just doing ok, there’s no way he should be picked ahead of the likes of Asensio, Llorente, etc who are playing in systems closer to the Spanish NT against the best players in the world every week.