Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I used to love watching soccer.

I don’t know what happened but I caught two EPL games this past weekend and was bored out of my mind. It’s been a few years since I’ve actively watched. Over the years I’ve gotten more into football (American) and it was hard watching to the half of both matches. I swear soccer used to have more shots on goal. The play I watched was robotic, overly defensive, lacking passion and aggression. It was just triangle passes over and over. I’m not sure if this is due to analytics or me just now adjusted to football athleticism and speed or what. I watch football game and I see these guys killing themselves just to make a down. I saw the Texans and Giants game and seeing a big dude chase down a running back showed the type of grit and tenacity I like to see in sports. The EPL matches had none of that.

@Yayo Toure :hubie:

Daps
Where’s the faints? Where’s the energy? Where’s the energy? Soccer used to be better than this.
You kmow what.... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.... I just logged on and went into default cynical Coli mode... I apologize.

More to your point. Yes there has a been a bit of a "robot-icisation" of footy. The game has evolved into a lot of systemization. A lot of it has turned into structured systems of passing and patterns of play. A fundamental part of that is that youth players brought up in academy environments from a young age so they are "coached". This means learning tactics and systems. The number 10's and creative players that I was enamoured with as a kid and dreamed of emulating have been phased out. This goes back to the environments players are raised in now. These players don't play on the streets, on the rocky open spaces, playing against older people, all the sorts of uncontrollable variables that force ingenuity to be cultivated. That make you unique. All the flair and creativity is coached out of them once they are in the acadmies. It is an unfortunate consequence of the increased money in the game. So unless you are football obsessed like myself amd do enjoy the nuances of tactics as much as the creativity I could see how you might be turned off. Also keep in your mind you are older now so the rose tinted windows of nostalgia will also have an affect. I could go on for hours, but I'll stop here

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
:wow:

925b8646a1c919504a39c02ea4927d92a27aaba0.gifv