Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I remember reading an article a long time ago that examined the differences between popular american sports and "soccer".

one was the low scoring. soccer was perceived as a sport where less happens because there was less scoring and fewer recorded events.

what could media talk about or market or build stories around with no goals and not much else.

the thing is the many things that were actually happening were not readily accessible to people who did not understand the game.

there were few hard numbers.

the lack of data meant that the entire analytics branch had less to work with.

marketing had less to talk about.

it's the same in US sports. in politics. in cricket. in education (league tables).

the modern way, driven by the US, is to lead with stats first. and build the stories off that.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
I think we end the window having signed two CBs and a left back. I think the left back will depend on sales depending on who it is, we've been linked with the lad from Fenerbache Ferdi Kadıoğlu(looked good at the Euros), Kerkez(expensive) and Chilwell(hmm no thanks) so far.

If AWB goes we could look at a right back too but not heard/seen any movement on that.

We want Ugarte for midfield, any further CM signings will hinge on Casemiro's future.

There's rumours of another attacker in addition to Zirkzee as well but again, sales needed.
To be honest, I’m just happy that we’re doing multiple deals at once. :pachaha:

JDH

All Star
Supporter
Daps
maxresdefault.jpg

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Facts.

The sneijder WPOTY snub in particular was a travesty.

Also Look what's happened to goalkeeping as well, the first and most important stats/factor for judging and rating them nowadays isn't their pure goalkeeping skills but their
ability to play out from the back. GK's like Petr cech,Peter schmeichel,Buffon et al would struggle to play for a big team nowadays

The standard of goalkeeping has always been poor. Even many of the greats of yesterday's era weren't all-round keepers. Forget the footballing ability of the modern keeper. The only real improvement has been the overall athleticism and keepers becoming taller. It was fairly common for keepers to be 5'10-6'1in the good old days. Jordan Pickford in the 70's-90's would be considered a tall keeper. Look at Donnarumma he's 6'5 and has no command of his area or of his defence. He won't leave the line when its a cross or high ball. And this has been an issue for keepers for decades. You can watch goals from the 80-00's and see many low/near post shots go in or the keeper has poor positioning let alone the concentration. And these are the keepers who are just below the elite level guys back then.

When you watch goals from the old World Cup Euros or CL archives you really get to see just how poor the goalkeeping levels were.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
@Liu Kang whats up with this Ligue 1 TV contract situation? I saw they about to get less than they got 20 years ago with Canal telling them to eff themselves.