Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
I don't know if i'm just :flabbynsick: or if this is true but i do feel the same way.
Ofcourse He's right and I blame two big factors or people for this

structured football or otherwise known as tiki taka or pep's system that emphasizes control of the game via total domination of possession above all
which forces players to play scared,safe and risk averse

second factor is the stat obsessed era led by messi and ronaldo. Players were winning ballon dor and WPOTY back in the day with stats that would be considered poverty stats by todays standard but back then football was about entertainment as much as it was about winning and fans,coaches and players alike weren't obssessed with it

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
second factor is the stat obsessed era led by messi and ronaldo.

doubt that.

:hubie:

i think the drive for stats has been led by american sport influence (and the advance of technology).

american sport is notoriously stats focused. both to obtain insights for competitive advantage AND to build marketing narratives (to sell)

"Moneyball has also influenced and been influenced by other professional sports teams including European club association football (soccer). Beane has regarded Arsenal's former manager Arsène Wenger as a personal idol. Beane has held discussions with Wenger, former Manchester United F.C. manager Alex Ferguson, and Liverpool F.C. owner John W. Henry.[7] His friendship with ex-Arsenal scout Damien Comolli and Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke allowed him to delve deep into the world of English football.[8] According to El País, Liverpool F.C. co-owner John W. Henry did not trust public opinion so he looked for a mathematical method similar to the one used for the Boston Red Sox (in guiding them to three World Series wins) which he also owns via Fenway Sports Group.[9] The mathematical model turned out to be that of Cambridge physicist Ian Graham, which was used to select the manager (Jürgen Klopp) and players essential for Liverpool to win the 2018–19 UEFA Champions League.[10][11]"

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
second factor is the stat obsessed era led by messi and ronaldo. Players were winning ballon dor and WPOTY back in the day with stats that would be considered poverty stats by todays standard but back then football was about entertainment
You make an excellent point. Figo, Zidane, Kaka and other winners didn’t have “impressive” stats but anyone who watched them play in their prime, would tell you their stats didn’t do them justice.

You could be recognized for your flair, skill, authority in a game without an assist or goal to show for it. Back then, defenders would win POTY (Cannavaro was the last one to I believe), because people weren’t as obsessed with stats.

While I don’t blame Ronaldo or Messi, their rivalry coupled with Tiki Taka football definitely impacted the game more negatively than positively.

I could see the tides were turning in 2010 when neither Iniesta or Sneijder won POTY in favor of Messi. How Sway??? :francis:

Last edited:

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
doubt that.

i think the drive for stats has been led by american sport influence (and the advance of technology).

american sport is notoriously stats focused. both to obtain insights for competitive advantage AND to build marketing narratives (to sell)

"Moneyball has also influenced and been influenced by other professional sports teams including European club association football (soccer). Beane has regarded Arsenal's former manager Arsène Wenger as a personal idol. Beane has held discussions with Wenger, former Manchester United F.C. manager Alex Ferguson, and Liverpool F.C. owner John W. Henry.[7] His friendship with ex-Arsenal scout Damien Comolli and Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke allowed him to delve deep into the world of English football.[8] According to El País, Liverpool F.C. co-owner John W. Henry did not trust public opinion so he looked for a mathematical method similar to the one used for the Boston Red Sox (in guiding them to three World Series wins) which he also owns via Fenway Sports Group.[9] The mathematical model turned out to be that of Cambridge physicist Ian Graham, which was used to select the manager (Jürgen Klopp) and players essential for Liverpool to win the 2018–19 UEFA Champions League.[10][11]"

The american nfluence relates more to the coaching and player improvement side of the equation. I'm focusing more on how football is analysed from the perspective of fans journalist and media

Last edited:

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
You make an excellent point. Figo, Zidane, Kaka and other winners didn’t have “impressive” stats but anyone who watched them play in their prime, would tell you their stats didn’t do them justice.

You could be recognized for your flair, skill, authority in a game without an assist or goal to show for it. Back then, defenders would win POTY (Cannavaro was the last one to I believe), because people weren’t as obsessed with stats.

While I don’t blame Ronaldo or Messi, their rivalry coupled with Tiki Taka football definitely impacted the game more negatively than positively.

I could see the tides were turning in 2010 when neither Iniesta or Sneijder POTY in favor of Messi. How Sway??? :francis:
Facts.

The sneijder WPOTY snub in particular was a travesty.

Also Look what's happened to goalkeeping as well, the first and most important stats/factor for judging and rating them nowadays isn't their pure goalkeeping skills but their
ability to play out from the back. GK's like Petr cech,Peter schmeichel,Buffon et al would struggle to play for a big team nowadays

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
The american nfluence relates more to the coaching and player improvement side of the equation. I'm focusing more on how football is analysed from the perspective of fans
journalist and media

the fans/journalists and media didn't create those stats nor to they collate them.

statistics are not just focused on attackers.

things like assists, xG, heat maps, possession etc were added to the game/leagues/competitions to enrich the data available to both practitioners and the media (incl. journalists).

similar is happening to cricket.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
do we really need 3 new defenders tho?
We're getting two CBs. De Ligt + 1. The Yoro bid is just us applying pressure to Everton.

But if Real can't stump up the cash(looks like they can't) and we can convince Yoro then it's a cheaper deal than Branthwaite so happy days.

As i understand it, De Ligt + Branthwaite would mean selling one of Lindelof or Maguire.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
doubt that.

The drive for stats was def. started by Ronaldo vs Messi as they one upped each other for scoring records. I remember Barca was up like 4-0 in a two leg champions league tie, Messi played the next leg and bagged more goals. End of year he's at the Balon D'or ceremony in a jacket with sequins for every goal he scored. Dolly Parton shyt without the t*ts.

That moneyball stuff you are referring to is a funny approach to football, most scouting departments use it, but none of it(and the examples cited) has led to any sustained success. Advanced statistics are very difficult to use to make good transfer decisions in a sport where it's 11 v 11.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
The drive for stats was def. started by Ronaldo vs Messi as they one upped each other for scoring records. I remember Barca was up like 4-0 in a two leg champions league tie, Messi played the next leg and bagged more goals. End of year he's at the Balon D'or ceremony in a jacket with sequins for every goal he scored. Dolly Parton shyt without the t*ts.

That moneyball stuff you are referring to is a funny approach to football, most scouting departments use it, but none of it(and the examples cited) has led to any sustained success. Advanced statistics are very difficult to use to make good transfer decisions in a sport where it's 11 v 11.

it started with the addition of assists in the 1994 fifa world cup in the UNITED STATES.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
yea the messi/ronaldo era over inflated numbers. Players like vini and specially neymar win the ballon d'or atleast once pre messi/ronnie era.......

Numbers are deceiving for some of these players smh

Last edited:

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
do we really need 3 new defenders tho?
friday-ice-cube.gif

You know Ten Scam don’t rotate and we’re defo getting injuries+ Europa.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
it started with the addition of assists in the 1994 fifa world cup in the UNITED STATES.

This is a fair point too.

People talk about the purity of football but I'm witnessing players not make the right action because it won't give them a goal or assist. At the international level it's more harmful because very few teams generate enough chances over 90 minutes for players to pick and choose when to play the right way.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
friday-ice-cube.gif

You know Ten Scam don’t rotate and we’re defo getting injuries+ Europa.
I think we end the window having signed two CBs and a left back. I think the left back will depend on sales depending on who it is, we've been linked with the lad from Fenerbache Ferdi Kadıoğlu(looked good at the Euros), Kerkez(expensive) and Chilwell(hmm no thanks) so far.

If AWB goes we could look at a right back too but not heard/seen any movement on that.

We want Ugarte for midfield, any further CM signings will hinge on Casemiro's future.

There's rumours of another attacker in addition to Zirkzee as well but again, sales needed.