Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
@Liu Kang whats up with this Ligue 1 TV contract situation? I saw they about to get less than they got 20 years ago with Canal telling them to eff themselves.
It's a mess like many things in the country right now. I don't know all the specifics but overall it's full of arrogance and ego and it goes like this

Ligue 1 has steadily gotten higher rights (they are split into lots to maximize value) over the years and the historical broadcaster was Canal+. They greatly helped building the brand when it was still called Division 1. But for the past 15 years or so, they've been at odds while still being partners.

Ligue 1 always wanted more and Canal+ always low balled them. Ligue 1 always had this dream of getting 1B/year. In 2014, when Bein Sports launched, they thought they could but Hollande intervened to split the rights with Canal+ which ended up being around 750M/year.

Since 2018 though, it's broken because that's when Mediapro bought 80% of the rights for 2020-2024 for 820M ! And 20% remaining (better matches) for Bein/Canal+ was 330M and that totaled at 1.15B/year. Canal+ at the time valued the whole thing at 800M and that price was already overvalued.

However Mediapro was a shaky entity (not even a broadcaster, just a broker) which already failed in Italy and at that time, Saada (head of Canal+) had a famous interview where he ran the numbers live to say that was unsustainable and Mediapro would fail in 2 years.

He and most people who had look at them were right as Mediapro failed right at the time Covid hit. So at that time (2021) Canal+ told them to redo a tender and we can save you but at the actual value of around 600M/year for the whole domestic rights.

Then Amazon made an offer of 200M for Mediapro's part (down from 800 lol) and to spite Canal+, Ligue 1 accepted. Canal+ had keep that remaining 20% at the original inflated price they agreed. They sued but lost. There was also a remaining 50 for another broadcaster but the total was 600M then as well.

So in 2023, the Ligue still dreamed of the billy though hoped for 800M and launched their tender with that in mind even though the actual value was probably around 650M. And that was while tv rights for every other leagues decreased a lot.

But now, Messi, Neymar and Mbappé left the Ligue so there's no superstar anymore. Also :
- Qatar and Bein doesnt want to invest much in PSG and Ligue 1 as well
- Canal+ don't care any more
- Ligue 1 dreamed of Apple but that was just a dream
- after Covid, the league was almost bankrupted and accepted a deal with CVC where they would give them 1.1B cash in exchange of 13% of all future revenue... for life...
- All in all, nobody really likes Ligue 1 like that any more.

So DAZN came and valued the 80% rights lot for 375M and overall 500M for all rights.

Ligue 1 president obviously thinks this is too low as clubs budgeted for 800M rights. So he has this idea of creating its own platform with Warner where he somehow would reach 2M subscribers at 30€/month (just for Ligue 1 lol)

For comparison, Bein Sports is 15/month and has La Liga, Buli, NBA, WTA tour, Euro etc..

Pure arrogance the whole debacle.

Last edited:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
The more I see this untalented clown and his nostrils, the more I’m convinced the Illuminati truly exists.
these guys are plants and or scouted out after the reach a certain level of fame...they influence the youth , so u gotta control them..noway most of these goofball nikkas can get most of these celebs coming on stream :russ:

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
You make an excellent point. Figo, Zidane, Kaka and other winners didn’t have “impressive” stats but anyone who watched them play in their prime, would tell you their stats didn’t do them justice.

You could be recognized for your flair, skill, authority in a game without an assist or goal to show for it. Back then, defenders would win POTY (Cannavaro was the last one to I believe), because people weren’t as obsessed with stats.

While I don’t blame Ronaldo or Messi, their rivalry coupled with Tiki Taka football definitely impacted the game more negatively than positively.

I could see the tides were turning in 2010 when neither Iniesta or Sneijder won POTY in favor of Messi. How Sway??? :francis:
Nailed it.

Cesc was talking about that on Rio's podcast. Stats are cool but are you going forward, attacking, or just passing backwards or sideways? You can complete 100 passes like Jorginho and not advance play an inch. Or not have the crisp stats but be a threat like Partey who always looks to attack and advance.

Also this MF ruined everything

peppy.gif

hood b. goode

shytposter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ProSports: NOLA. College: UMich. Europe: Arsenal
Idk if this is BS (probably) but

Since announcing his Liverpool exit, Klopp has been linked with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.

It has also been suggested that he could turn to managing a national team, with England and Germany mooted as possibilities.Host nation Germany were knocked out of Euro 2024 by Spain in the quarter-finals and this disappointing exit could see Julian Nagelsmann lose his job.

According to a report in Spain, Klopp is ‘being tempted to be at the 2026 World Cup’ as Germany manager as Nagelsmann is at risk of being ‘sacked’ after this summer’s ‘resounding failure’.Klopp is described as Germany’s ‘favourite’ candidate to replace Nagelsmann and ‘should he accept this offer, he could lead them in the next World Cup’.

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Idk if this is BS (probably) but

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Kloppo takes over for WC qualifying next year after Nations League for one last go before he bows out and would be happy for him :manny: I can’t see him coming back to club management ever :hubie:

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
Zirkzee done.

De Ligt should be done hopefully end of the week or early next week. Ugarte probably once the Copa America is done.

The Yoro/Branthwaite situation hopefully gets resolved asap as well.
Just need start on the outgoing now.

Last edited:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Zirkzee ain’t the one imo but very happy to be wrong. I’d rather Ollie Watkins but I understand that would be very expensive.

Ugarte I’m very excited about. De ligt could be interesting