Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
If I name players then I’m accused of being a FM/FIFA player…it’s not my job to come up with targets

Edu was given the funds to make at least one big signing this window and he failed twice…the Mudryk failure is worse coz it should have been done in the summer when we didn’t get Raphinha

He had no plans of getting midfield depth until elneny got hurt even though a young midfielder is a priority signing…now he’s stuck w 4 over 30 players in midfield going into nxt season
Bro, I am just asking who are these players that were available that Edu didn’t make a move for. Give me one name that you believe they had a chance to get and missed out on.

From what I see, Edu and team made a move for two big money targets and either backed out of negotiations when price got ridiculous (which I think is the right move) or accepted that the player was not up for transfer (Caicedo).

What Edu and team did instead was to bring in to players that can help the team NOW while still leaving Arsenal flexible to go for their real targets in the summer.

To say that Edu had “no plans” of getting midfield depth is hyperbolic. I think Edu and Arteta have done enough to this stage to prove that they have a plan and are sticking to it. And so far it is working. So why complain?

Arsenal aren’t “stuck” with Jorginho… he has a 1.5 year contract. If they want to move him on in the summer they can.

Two of the other 30 year olds you say we are “stuck” with going into next season are Xhaka and Partey… the engine driving our team to the top of the league.

Arsenal are moving smart and did well to strengthen this January. Let’s stop the narrative that any player that isn’t £100 mil is garbage.

naijaboi

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NaijaToLAViaATL
The man is in 1st with the youngest squad in the league, with no squad depth, lost their primary striker and are somehow still 5 points clear. He already HAS performed miracles. :skip:

And its clown ass Football Manager ass thinking that makes folks like you think that NOT spending 200m+ in fukkING JANUARY, means you're not a "serious club".
You know who also didn't do that shyt? Prime Pep-era Barcelona. They added players in where they had gaps and hardly ever for 60m+ even when adjusted for inflation. Many of their top players in that era were brought in for around 50m adjusted for inflation.

Real Madrid...the most SERIOUS club of them all...do you know how many times they've spent over 80m on one player in the last decade?

Twice (Bale & Hazard)

And you expect Arsenal, a team with no where near those level of resources, that DOES NOT HAVE UCL FUNDS THIS SEASON, to spend in the same league as Manchester City and Real Madrid?

You're talking out of your ass, you have no idea what being a "serious club" even means.

And you do :mjlol: Please educate us. No one is asking for an 80m player in January breh. All we needed was a solid replacement for Partey and Jorginho aint it. Imagine Xhaka and Jorginho starting important games down the stretch. That's where we are today unless some of our defenders can fill that role.

Lurkio

All Star
Daps
Bro, I am just asking who are these players that were available that Edu didn’t make a move for. Give me one name that you believe they had a chance to get and missed out on.

From what I see, Edu and team made a move for two big money targets and either backed out of negotiations when price got ridiculous (which I think is the right move) or accepted that the player was not up for transfer (Caicedo).

What Edu and team did instead was to bring in to players that can help the team NOW while still leaving Arsenal flexible to go for their real targets in the summer.

To say that Edu had “no plans” of getting midfield depth is hyperbolic. I think Edu and Arteta have done enough to this stage to prove that they have a plan and are sticking to it. And so far it is working. So why complain?

Arsenal aren’t “stuck” with Jorginho… he has a 1.5 year contract. If they want to move him on in the summer they can.

Two of the other 30 year olds you say we are “stuck” with going into next season are Xhaka and Partey… the engine driving our team to the top of the league.

Arsenal are moving smart and did well to strengthen this January. Let’s stop the narrative that any player that isn’t £100 mil is garbage.

I’m purposely not giving names because the rebuttal is easy…y’all can just say what if the club don’t rate the player/who said they were for sale

But here you go

Thuram - Nice
Kone - gladbach
Alcatraz - kid who jus moved to Southampton

and if we just needed short term then how abt kessie on loan?

You guys keep bringing in transfer fee like I care abt that…my only point is they gave Edu the funds to make a real push for the title and I believe he could have put us in a better position.

On the midfield ideally we go into nxt season w Xhaka Partey plus 2 younger guys which were supposed to be caicedo and rice…that’s almost out the question now knowing how this club moves.

We’ll see how the season goes…hope for the best but I think we should have done better for now and the future

Edit: on the point about us not signing a midfielder if elneny doesn’t get hurt…look at when the bids and rumored bids for midfielders started…look at when they briefed the press on Declan rice.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ENZO

jesus-camp-gif.gif

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
8.5 yr deal for Enzo I thought eufa put an end to this nonsense?

Uefa can't change the rules with immediate effect so the rule change applies from the summer.

And the rules don't apply retrospectively. This allows Chelsea to get their biggest purchase out the way now and spread the cost across 8.5 years instead of just 5 years as it'll be from the summer.

Now I really wanna know how this 5 year FFP limit impacts transfers moving forward. How can someone buy Bellingham for what Dortmund are asking for and only spread that cost across 5 years? They really didn't think this through.