Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
But the manager and club wanted these big money signings…we missed out on Arteta’s top targets it’s not even about the fees…the Mudryk transfer was absolutely bottled if you go back all the way to the summer…it should have never gotten this far to where we are in a bidding war with chelsea

The Caicedo deal was bottled because we came in last minute…if we go in 3 weeks ago we 1. Give Brighton a chance to find a replacement or 2. Give ourselves 2 weeks to pivot if they say he’s not for sale. Same with Zubimendi

Don’t even get me started on Rice…Arsenal clearly leaked that to appease the fan base because they were not gonna do anything before the elneny injury.

It feels like a missed opportunity…if we win the league fair play…but if we bottle it then it’s because we didn’t move right in getting the necessary players in.
I love our fans but we are the absolute best at coping :russ:

Jorginho isn’t the end of the world but it’s a desperation signing bc we needed anything to make it to the end of the season. Don’t even get me started on the Bruno G misfire…we should’ve had CM locked up ages ago. :snoop:

Arsenal and Edu create their own problems in the transfer market. I just hope we win the league.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
But the manager and club wanted these big money signings…we missed out on Arteta’s top targets it’s not even about the fees…the Mudryk transfer was absolutely bottled if you go back all the way to the summer…it should have never gotten this far to where we are in a bidding war with chelsea

The Caicedo deal was bottled because we came in last minute…if we go in 3 weeks ago we 1. Give Brighton a chance to find a replacement or 2. Give ourselves 2 weeks to pivot if they say he’s not for sale. Same with Zubimendi

Don’t even get me started on Rice…Arsenal clearly leaked that to appease the fan base because they were not gonna do anything before the elneny injury.

It feels like a missed opportunity…if we win the league fair play…but if we bottle it then it’s because we didn’t move right in getting the necessary players in.

"Necessary" and "Wants" are totally different. Arteta can WANT Mudryk all he wants, but everyone has to be realistic. Its not FIFA, breh. Arsenal is STILL a team that's working with no UCL funds. Nearly 200m on two players is insanity, and why so many players are over valued and academy products are shipped off for nothing. Chelsea started that bidding war. We were in for 70m initially, Chelsea saw they could hijack it for 100m+ that's not Arsenal being in a bidding war.

You don't know WHEN the conversation for Caicedo started and neither do I. But Brighton's stance was he's not for sale. Period. Arsenal though 70+ would be good for a smaller club. It wasn't that's life.

Also, I remember cover for Partey being discussed as far back as October. Edu, Arteta and the board aren't idiots. They know the squad is thin...so what did they do? Bring in SQUAD PLAYERS. Did they get everything they wanted? No. But teams rarely do. They have addressed the BIGGEST issue with the team, which is depth.
How on earth is anyone upset about this besides people who just want to fap over big numbers. Saying Jorginho and Trossard aren't improvements to the bench in those positions is simply asinine.

Winston

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Jorginho is a class player when he has a coach and teammates that know how to play to his clear strengths and weaknesses. The guy was instrumental to Chelsea's UCL and Italy's Euro. I don't see how having an experienced player of his quality as a backup until the summer is a bad thing, last option or not.

Arteta rates him highly and even wanted him at City, so I'm trusting the process as I have been:yeshrug:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Jorginho is a class player when he has a coach and teammates that know how to play to his clear strengths and weaknesses. The guy was instrumental to Chelsea's UCL and Italy's Euro. I don't see how having an experienced player of his quality as a backup until the summer is a bad thing, last option or not.

Arteta rates him highly and even wanted him at City, so I'm trusting the process as I have been:yeshrug:
That was years ago :mjlol:

Jorginho is a washed player now. The contract we have and the fact Chelsea are getting rid of him now are clear indicators of that. This is all a moot point, if Partey and Xhaka stay healthy. Hopefully we don’t even need to use him that much. He’s duct tape until the plumber gets here.

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Not super happy about Jorginho, but it’s a solid piece of business. We get an experienced CM that is just meant to provide backup for a solid price :obama:

I trust arteta to use him properly and make him flourish in the system.

We now have better depth, hopefully it’s enough

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
Also to Arsenal fans, Willian did exist. Not everything the board and Edu does works out. It’s ok to be weary about this move. At least the contract makes more sense
I agree that Edu & Arteta aren’t perfect. Willian was a mistake. But I do give them credit for quickly realizing it was a mistake and ending that relationship quickly.

They seem to have learned from that and turned their focus to building on the longer term project. Time will tell if Jorginho was a smart move or not. I believe it will pay off though.

Lurkio

All Star
Daps
"Necessary" and "Wants" are totally different. Arteta can WANT Mudryk all he wants, but everyone has to be realistic. Its not FIFA, breh. Arsenal is STILL a team that's working with no UCL funds. Nearly 200m on two players is insanity, and why so many players are over valued and academy products are shipped off for nothing. Chelsea started that bidding war. We were in for 70m initially, Chelsea saw they could hijack it for 100m+ that's not Arsenal being in a bidding war.

You don't know WHEN the conversation for Caicedo started and neither do I. But Brighton's stance was he's not for sale. Period. Arsenal though 70+ would be good for a smaller club. It wasn't that's life.

Also, I remember cover for Partey being discussed as far back as October. Edu, Arteta and the board aren't idiots. They know the squad is thin...so what did they do? Bring in SQUAD PLAYERS. Did they get everything they wanted? No. But teams rarely do. They have addressed the BIGGEST issue with the team, which is depth.
How on earth is anyone upset about this besides people who just want to fap over big numbers. Saying Jorginho and Trossard aren't improvements to the bench in those positions is simply asinine.

No one is saying they aren’t improvements on what we had and don’t add depth…it’s how big of an improvement that’s the issue

:what:

Edu has simply not maximized our potential…again it was an opportunity to really solidify ourselves as title favorites and he hasn’t done that. Jorginho was not part of the plan man it’s a panic buy…It’s better than nothing but please don’t act like we should celebrate this. We probably need 2 u-25 midfielders in the summer now…

Trossard is a good pivot but Mudryk didn’t even have to get to 70m if we had bid when we should have… that’s on Edu

This guy had close to 100m to spend obviously and he comes back w Jorginho lol

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Screenshot-2023-01-31-at-20-10-33-removebg-preview.png

#GGMU