Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Montez

Superstar
Daps
we had the RAI coverage here too. Sunday mornings, channel 53 :blessed:

They were showing Serie A games up until 2006.

We got no Bundesliga, and the premiership would be shown randomly on ESPN and the Fox Soccer Net affiliate here.

I remember ESPN used to show Brazilian football too, again very random dates and times.

And of course Champions League and ESPN constantly showing AC Milan and Ajax :bow:

what you know about that channel 25 RAI italia breh?

that used to be sunday gospel growing up but i was a bit too young to actually properly follow the league. BL first league i actually followed -like that-

we're all in the same boat here, brothers :obama:

That grainy as fukk RAI feed :whoo:

Then you had the 90 minute review show in the afternoon.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah breh. Never had it on cable growing up.

I've always heard though that it's real news journalism, they show things how they are without bias or with an agenda. That's at least the perception I've always gathered from other people.

AlJazeera English is relatively new was launched like 4 years ago. Plenty of top journos/broadcasters from all over the world work for them. Relative to American news coverage its top notch. They've got free streams on their website.

They're also about to launch AlJazeera America which will be an American news network after they bought Al Gore's channel CurrentTV. I'm expecting that to be one of the best options for American cable news very quick.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
AlJazeera English is relatively new was launched like 4 years ago. Plenty of top journos/broadcasters from all over the world work for them. Relative to American news coverage its top notch. They've got free streams on their website.

They're also about to launch AlJazeera America which will be an American news network after they bought Al Gore's channel CurrentTV. I'm expecting that to be one of the best options for American cable news very quick.

:ehh:

Anything is better than CNN or Fox News *spits*.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Niger v. The Congo, Burkina Faso v. Ethiopia, Morocco v. Cape Verde...mouthwatering.

*Jonathan Wilson mode*

Cape Verde is a very interesting team. Consisting of 9 players in the local league, their experimental 3-2-3-2 is a veritable revolution in tactical maturation.

One to watch is Ronny, who plays for the Luxembourgian champions CS Fola Esch

Another who will be looking fro a big money move to a major European club is the goalkeeper Fock who plays for the local Equatorial Champions League winners CS Mindelense

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah breh. Never had it on cable growing up.

I've always heard though that it's real news journalism, they show things how they are without bias or with an agenda. That's at least the perception I've always gathered from other people.
nah, its clearly biased but they do real journalistic work. Good investigative journalism shows and stuff.

One dope show I watched was on the Falklands War.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nah, its clearly biased but they do real journalistic work. Good investigative journalism shows and stuff.

One dope show I watched was on the Falklands War.

What do you think its biased towards? I don't necessarily disagree, just interested in how you perceive the bias.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
What do you think its biased towards? I don't necessarily disagree, just interested in how you perceive the bias.
its a very left wing channel. I dont have a problem with it, but they are leftist. They arent exactly pro-west either, which I dont have that big of a problem with either. (and in fairness, they arent over the top with it like you see with US media towards the middle east)

I like them because they have good information and do investigative work and ask questions. The exact opposite of US cable news. They also have no corporations they are in bed with (a far as I know), so I dig that.

Although it is funny they beam this English feed that is on that steez, while the owners of the channel rule Qatar in a different manner.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its a very left wing channel. I dont have a problem with it, but they are leftist. They arent exactly pro-west either, which I dont have that big of a problem with either.

I like them because they have good information and do investigative work and ask questions. The exact opposite of US cable news.

They definitely provide a platform for views that would be derided as too left wing on American cable. I don't think they're anti West at all though, I think thats an old Iraq War fueled perception of the network. Some of the best work I've seen them do has been focused on the West( docs on France, U.S. etc) Their American election coverage was also very good. Most of their journalists and on air talent worked for top newspapers/networks all over the West.

They also provide a medium for voices and expertise on many areas you'd never dream of getting informed coverage from on American cable. Their coverage of France's Mali intervention right now is a good example of that.

I think clearest example of their biases and weaknesses is with regards to Mideast coverage. At times they too closely align with Qatar's foreign policy.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
They definitely provide a platform for views that would be derided as too left wing on American cable. I don't think they're anti West at all though, I think thats an old Iraq War fueled perception of the network. Some of the best work I've seen them do has been focused on the West( docs on France, U.S. etc) Their American election coverage was also very good. Most of their journalists and on air talent worked for top newspapers/networks all over the West.

They also provide a medium for voices and expertise on many areas you'd never dream of getting informed coverage from on American cable. Their coverage of France's Mali intervention right now is a good example of that.

I think clearest example of their biases and weaknesses is with regards to Mideast coverage. At times they too closely align with Qatar's foreign policy.
it has nothing to do with the Iraq War, and everything to do with what I have seen on that channel (dont paint me into that corner). They have some anti-west views and programming. Its not bad because its the opposite in the US, but call a spade a spade.

I do agree about them giving different perspectives and covering different international issues tho. They do a lot of good coverage of African and South American issues, which I always liked. They were down on front street when that coup was going on in Honduras a couple of years ago too. That was barely talked about in American media.

Then again, its always about the audience. Al Jazeera is an international channel broadcasted shown in America and would focus on American issues.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I feel extra patriotic when they show those dead Middle Eastern kids :ahh:

*has never watched the channel

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it has nothing to do with the Iraq War, and everything to do with what I have seen on that channel (dont paint me into that corner). They have some anti-west views and programming. Its not bad because its the opposite in the US, but call a spade a spade.

I do agree about them giving different perspectives and covering different international issues tho. They do a lot of good coverage of African and South American issues, which I always liked. They were down on front street when that coup was going on in Honduras a couple of years ago too. That was barely talked about in American media.

Then again, its always about the audience. Al Jazeera is an international channel broadcasted shown in America and would focus on American issues.

That's a pretty major claim to make and I find it hard to see how it can be backed up. The West is a major entity, its not just the U.S., I don't see any programming that reflexively portrays the West in a negative light. What's an example of anti West programming that they have?

Clear examples of "antiWestern" programming to me, are outlets like Russia Today and PressTV that are often over the top and even make up stories. Don't see similarities with AJE.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
That's a pretty major claim to make and I find it hard to see how it can be backed up. The West is a major entity, its not just the U.S., I don't see any programming that reflexively portrays the West in a negative light. What's an example of anti West programming that they have?

Clear examples of "antiWestern" programming to me, are outlets like Russia Today and PressTV that are often over the top and even make up stories. Don't see similarities with AJE.
its not a major claim to me since all networks are biased

And I cant think of any off the top of my head, but when I see it I will be sure to point it out on here for you.

And like ive said before, I dont think Al Jazeera's anti-west interviews and programs are over the top and absurd. Its just anti-west.