Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
At current strength, give me Argentina's midfield over these two any day of the week
I disagree. Any competent coach will do some crazy shyt with Rice, Bellingham and whoever dey want as a 10 or if they want a 3 man midfield

Di Maria had fitness issues. Was never going to last 90 mins. But Acuna was the wrong guy. I thought Parades would have been better to control the game.
Reason I said they should’ve reverted to 532 after subbing him out.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
finally posting in this bish again, but I am still perplexed on how this Argentina side beat Brazil in Copa America finals and France in the WC finals. they are not that good personnel wise. :mindblown: Messi is the goat but this is clearly down to being way better coached

That Villarreal energy. Villarreal with a good front three will give teams problems

shyt some of them play for Villarreal, Foyth, Lo Celso (i know he wasn't in the squad) .. Isn't Acuna at Sevilla... Macallister at Brighton

You get mid table toughness, doggedness...organisation.. Absolute b*stards at the back, though rash and reckless... The ability to hold the ball instead of just clearing it (unlike Morocco) when under pressure .. And a clinical front three with a genius able to concoct chances out of nothing

Every game I was expecting them to finally get their comeuppance but they managed to grind out results and ride their luck

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
The next AFCON will be bloody. This WC was a wake-up call to African football. I think there should be 2 more AFCONs before the 2026 WC. Super Eagles needs to take at least one.

@phcitywarrior

Baba - we will see Morocco in the final. The WC has solidified their new coach and the team will believe in them. Algerians don cry ooo
We'll see. AFCON is not beans man. Morocco at the last AFCON was dumped by Egypt in the QFs, prior to that R16 by Benin. But Senegal, Morocco, Egypt, Burkina Faso and Ghana look like settled squads.
and this is where my problem with Deschamp comes in. France has midfield that are technically sound and just as good as McAllister, L Celso, Parades and Enzo but they would never get a look
Tbh, which up and coming midfielders outside Caqueret are really making waves right now for France. Lowkey thier midfield looking weak.
I disagree. Any competent coach will do some crazy shyt with Rice, Bellingham and whoever dey want as a 10 or if they want a 3 man midfield

Reason I said they should’ve reverted to 532 after subbing him out.
Give me Fernandez over Rice any day of the week. Jude is the only one I'm taking from the English midfield.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
AFCON happens too frequently
Disagree vehemently. African football needs to develop and the continent doesnt have the track record of CONMEBOL or UEFA.

We need more major tourneys for our players.

The frequency isn’t the problem, its the constant moving of the date due to weather, lack of planning, government issues or all the above. If CAF stuck to every 2 yrs in Jan/Feb there would be less issues. But the last 3 tourneys have all been moved (including the upcoming one)

Whole reason AFCON was even every 2 yrs was because CAF only got a slot to the WC and nations were missing on proper tournament experience.

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
The next AFCON will be bloody. This WC was a wake-up call to African football. I think there should be 2 more AFCONs before the 2026 WC. Super Eagles needs to take at least one.

We'll see. AFCON is not beans man. Morocco at the last AFCON was dumped by Egypt in the QFs, prior to that R16 by Benin. But Senegal, Morocco, Egypt, Burkina Faso and Ghana look like settled squads.

Tbh, which up and coming midfielders outside Caqueret are really making waves right now for France. Lowkey thier midfield looking weak.

Give me Fernandez over Rice any day of the week. Jude is the only one I'm taking from the English midfield.
I'm mean, a midfield of Caqueret, Tchoumeni, Camavinga and Aouar seems to be as good/talented as any other nation up and coming midfield youngsters. it has all the midfield profile you need, controller/great line passer in Caqueret, work horse with technical ability in Camavinga, dm destroyer with Tchoumeni and a creative midfield with elite dribbling and 1-2 touch. It's not like they need alot to fix their midfied. DD never brought the two profile that I highlighted. You could say some of these players aren't consistent throughout their season what what team besides maybe Spain has midfielders that are? is Argentina midfield collective really better or more talented than that collective?

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Disagree vehemently. African football needs to develop and the continent doesnt have the track record of CONMEBOL or UEFA.

We need more major tourney’s for our players.

The frequency isn’t the problem, its the constant moving of the date due to weather, lack of planning, government issues or all the above. If CAF stuck to every 2 yrs in Jan/Feb there would be less issues. But the last 3 tourneys have all been moved (including the upcoming one)

Whole reason AFCON was even every 2 yrs was because CAF only got a slot to the WC and nations were missing on proper tournament experience.

Good points! Rep

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
France football went too extreme with not having Messi in the Balon D’or top 30.

Now it’s going to look crazy with him winning it next year after not being in the top 30 at all the previous year