Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If it's Partey then at least we can find a replacement before the season starts. Even though Arsenal looked lost without him, but his health for us has been a major issue, so wouldn't even mind if we replace him.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
That tweet is extremely misleading. These quotes from Pep are re: Mendy getting in trouble for having parties in lockdown and hiring prostitutes. As soon as he got arrested and charged for the rapes, Man City removed his profile from their site and they haven’t acknowledged him since.
I know those quotes are in regards to Covid protocols which happened in January, he was already arrested for rape in November.

Sigurdsson just got released by Everton but he got arrested at the start of the season. Again, as soon as that happened, they removed his profile from their site and they didn’t acknowledge him all season.
I must've missed the Mason Greenwood bobblehead night at Old Trafford last season :skip:

Did anyone know of the November arrest at the time? IIRC only became public much later the fact. The lockdown measures thing is a far less serious breach.
I find it hard to believe that Pep didn't know about an arrest that happened in November by January when we have Coli brehs with breaking info from their WhatsApp group chats :skip:

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Everton and City literally cut all public ties with Sigurdsson and Mendy as soon as they got arrested so the fact that Utd are still publicly associating with him leads me to believe he might not get convicted. Either that, or Utd are terrible at PR.

Let’s be honest, Partey’s been a flop signing so if this forces the team to buy two CMs this summer, it might work out better for the team :manny:

They are actually really good at PR. Ronaldo is a rapist, but British media never mentioned it much during the season, if he was wearing a different jersey it would have been a season long talking point. Maguire got arrested in Greece and is the white version of Titus Bramble, but with great PR none of that is talked about and there are even lemmings out there who believe Barca were interested in a player swap with Maguire and De Jong. They can handle Greenwood how they want, nobody will give them any schtick.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I know those quotes are in regards to Covid protocols which happened in January, he was already arrested for rape in November.

Those Pep comments are from Jan 2021 and Mendy first got arrested for rape in August 2021 :beli:

One of his charges were from an assault in November 2020 but we can’t in good faith say City knew what he was doing before he got arrested for it.

I must've missed the Mason Greenwood bobblehead night at Old Trafford last season :skip:

I find it hard to believe that Pep didn't know about an arrest that happened in November by January when we have Coli brehs with breaking info from their WhatsApp group chats :skip:

Utd clearly know something otherwise they would have completely excommunicated him like City and Everton did their wrong’uns. There’s already been rumours about him training with the team :manny:

They are actually really good at PR. Ronaldo is a rapist, but British media never mentioned it much during the season, if he was wearing a different jersey it would have been a season long talking point. Maguire got arrested in Greece and is the white version of Titus Bramble, but with great PR none of that is talked about and there are even lemmings out there who believe Barca were interested in a player swap with Maguire and De Jong. They can handle Greenwood how they want, nobody will give them any schtick.

CR7’s situation is techy since he’s already paid out money and NDAs have been signed but the media cleanup for Harry Maguire is absolutely ridiculous. Still can’t believe he held an interview making himself out to be a victim. Let’s not even talk about Ryan Giggs :scust:

Last edited:

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps

These players are expensive commodities. I’m sure each club has their own security detail. No way they were unaware.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Those Pep comments are from Jan 2021 and Mendy first got arrested for rape in August 2021 :beli:

One of his charges were from an assault in November 2020 but we can’t in good faith say City knew what he was doing before he got arrested for it.

Utd clearly know something otherwise they would have completely excommunicated him like City and Everton did their wrong’uns. There’s already been rumours about him training with the team :manny:
Mendy was first arrested on November 2020.

Debbie Byrne, prosecuting, said Mendy was originally arrested and released under investigation on 11 November last year on suspicion of rape. In January, he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault, the court was told.

L’Équipe report that questions have been raised among people close to Manchester City regarding the club’s handling of the Benjamin Mendy situation, with the defender currently provisionally detained after being charged on four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The World Cup winner has now been suspended by the club since late August, pending the legal proceedings, with the club making no official comment.

Three of the instances of rape are said to have taken place in October 2020, with Mendy’s first arrest the following month. At that time, the Daily Mail had published an article stating that a Premier League footballer had been accused of rape, written by Chris Wheel – the correspondent for the two Manchester clubs, as pointed out by a Manchester City supporter interviewed by L’Équipe.

At this stage, Manchester City took the decision to not suspend Mendy, while waiting to see if the Frenchman would be charged. The left-back went on to play more regularly over the rest of the season, although he notably avoided a meeting with the club’s press officer for an interview before the Champions League final in May.

City also looked to sell Mendy during the past transfer window, although this decision is said to have been made essentially for sporting reasons. Nevertheless, his high price meant that he would remain at the club, and notably went on to play on the opening day against Tottenham on August 15.

An agent close to the club has questioned Pep Guardiola’s management methods, claiming that the Spaniard has faith in his players and does not look into their private lives, “as long as they arrive on time for training and play well”, in contrast with the approach taken by Sir Alex Ferguson during his time managing Manchester United.

You're clearly disregarding known facts and well reported news regarding the timeline of Mendy's arrest and Man City's inaction, while at the same time running with fake news about Greenwood being back in training.

Seems like you live in UK and should know the laws better than me in regards to what action clubs can take in these situations. Sigurdsson's contract expired this season so he's gone, while he had a contract he was still technically employee of the club, Greenwood is in the same situation except his has a contract until 2026. Both Sigrudsson and Greenwood have been suspended by their clubs.

Man City on the other hand not only never suspended Mendy but also told us he has an incredible heart. He first got arrested on November 2020 and then was further arrested in January.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Mendy was first arrested on November 2020.

You're clearly disregarding known facts and well reported news regarding the timeline of Mendy's arrest and Man City's inaction, while at the same time running with fake news about Greenwood being back in training.

Seems like you live in UK and should know the laws better than me in regards to what action clubs can take in these situations. Sigurdsson's contract expired this season so he's gone, while he had a contract he was still technically employee of the club, Greenwood is in the same situation except his has a contract until 2026. Both Sigrudsson and Greenwood have been suspended by their clubs.

Man City on the other hand not only never suspended Mendy but also told us he has an incredible heart. He first got arrested on November 2020 and then was further arrested in January.

I forgot about the initial November arrest so I hold my hands up. Most teams wait until charges are formally made so I conflated the dates. I can’t defend Pep on that one :hubie:

I’m not even trying to shyt on Utd, I just don’t think it’s an open/shut case for Greenwood like it seems to be for Mendy and Sigurdsson so I wouldn’t be surprised if he still features for the team. His trial is this year and if he’s found not guilty, I don’t see why Utd won’t play him.