Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
So Fifa ban teams for political interference citing the need for sports to be free of politics then go and ban Russia........for political reasons? :gucci:

Don't personally give a fukk about those racists but this is ridiculous from Fifa. What happens if the countries reach a peace agreement tomorrow? Do Russia just slot back in like nothing happened?

ish is stupid
so you had their fans hurl racial insults call black folks monkeys etc. and fifa or uefa would not throw them out of competitions. But because of the government is doing now even domestic clubs gotta feel it.

Even that whole belarus ish from before all they did is make them play them games in another country.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

0qxam6yhqmk81.jpg

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
WCQ of Russia is completely over the top. What is the precedent for this and why are Russian footballers answerable for their country's policies?

Basically European countries can decide overnight that neutrality in international competition is dead. Can list any war you want in the past three decades and through it all, all sides were able to compete in international competition. No one even remotely discussed WCQ ban for the US in 2003. Hell, even in middle of Cold War, USSR was not banned from competition.

If this stands, and Russia is essentially eliminated from World Cup because of refusal of these guys to play them, it will destroy international competition for a long time. You can see reciprocal refusals being used for all sorts of political and diplomatic reasons, if FIFA allows this to stand.

Its outrageous and will come back to bite the people being politically expedient and bowing to the mob.

I dont NT should be banned either. We have zero precedent for this. Between this and the Qatar boycott talks before it, Euros are trying to set the grounds for football world where its only acceptable to compete and host World Cups in Western Europe and North America.
I said something like this last week but you articulated it way better than I could. Seeing all these Ukrainian flags in peoples profiles, the same ones who are anti-immigration and kneeling is just beyond hypocrisy.

Politically neutral only when it’s convenient. Qatar is still hosting the World Cup but the fools now want to be moral arbiters? I swear I hate this world. :hhh: