Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Preach :salute:
how about guendouzi and saliba
both guys would be starting week in and week out if they were here

saliba hasn't even played a game for arsenal yet, paid 27 million for that transfer fee and

Guendozi and Torreira are categorically better than Xhaka and with the amount of injuries we’ve had, Saliba would have been playing regularly next to Gabriel over the last 2 seasons. Arteta’s decision making has been so poor on so many basic levels that I really don’t understand how anyone can think he’s he fright man for the job.

Only reason I’ve been quieter about him this season is because I would have looked like a hater whilst we were in/around top 4 but it’s obvious that we’re not gonna get it. 1-2 injuries/suspensions and this squad isn’t strong enough to keep up.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I hate the wage bill argument because Arsenal have been doing terrible business for the last 5 years. The only players we’ve sold at a profit since Wenger left are Iwobi and Willock and both of them came from our academy. Making savings on the wage bill means nothing when we’re paying players out of their contracts (Willian, Kolasinac, Mustafi) or letting them go for free (Wilshere, Ramsey, Auba, Ozil). If we were actually ran like a good business and sold players for a profit or at value, we’d have more money to spend on players. Our only two strikers in the team could leave for free in the summer.

Arteta’s terrible man management has tanked the value of several players to the point where we’re selling Auba for free and he had 18 months on his contract. Even on his high wages, a competent club gets money for him.

Arteta doesn’t even get along with Pepe so I can’t see him suddenly now being one of our main striking options.
:mjlol: you ain't getting no transfer fee for a 32 year old on high wages during the pandemic unless he goes to the Gulf which he turned down already. Whose been getting true value for their sold players during the pandemic anyway? Everything been about loans and getting players as free agents.

Let's keep it reality Arsenal haven't been good sellers since the turn of the century. Being forced to sell players because they won't sign a new contract year after year isn't good selling because you aren't getting peak value for them.

Guendouzi who has a history of attitude issues pre and post Arteta and Torreira had problems settling in England. Don't know why these 2 are always being bought up by Arsenal fans OMG guyz Arteta did this and that. I guess Arsenal fans miss the days of having injury prone players lurking around for years and years collection wages while they never play because they might get fit.

Arsenal fans were fed up with soft touch Wenger and Good Ebening and they get finally get a b*stard which they've crying out for and they hate it :russ: .

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
:mjlol: you ain't getting no transfer fee for a 32 year old on high wages during the pandemic unless he goes to the Gulf which he turned down already. Whose been getting true value for their sold players during the pandemic anyway? Everything been about loans and getting players as free agents.

Let's keep it reality Arsenal haven't been good sellers since the turn of the century. Being forced to sell players because they won't sign a new contract year after year isn't good selling because you aren't getting peak value for them.

Guendouzi who has a history of attitude issues pre and post Arteta and Torreira had problems settling in England. Don't know why these 2 are always being bought up by Arsenal fans OMG guyz Arteta did this and that. I guess Arsenal fans miss the days of having injury prone players lurking around for years and years collection wages while they never play because they might get fit.

Arsenal fans were fed up with soft touch Wenger and Good Ebening and they get finally get a b*stard which they've crying out for and they hate it :russ: .

I'm not saying Auba should have gone for 40m but I refuse to believe he's not worth anything on the transfer market. Arsenal had opportunities to sell Ainsley, Chambers, Guendozi & Torreira 12-18 months ago and those bids were rejected only for the players to not be used and loaned out or sold for considerably less than what we were offered for them previously. I'm not one of these Arsenal fans that's saying Arteta must use all these players but the way he's handled these players means we haven't been able to receive fees that could be immediately reinvested into the squad.

Daniel Levy has somehow managed to finesse money for fringe players and Chelsea are consistently getting fees for players so it can be done. I just don't see how we're supposed to compete when we're not being ran in a self sustaining way and we're not being ran like an oil money club.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I'm not saying Auba should have gone for 40m but I refuse to believe he's not worth anything on the transfer market. Arsenal had opportunities to sell Ainsley, Chambers, Guendozi & Torreira 12-18 months ago and those bids were rejected only for the players to not be used and loaned out or sold for considerably less than what we were offered for them previously. I'm not one of these Arsenal fans that's saying Arteta must use all these players but the way he's handled these players means we haven't been able to receive fees that could be immediately reinvested into the squad.

Daniel Levy has somehow managed to finesse money for fringe players and Chelsea are consistently getting fees for players so it can be done. I just don't see how we're supposed to compete when we're not being ran in a self sustaining way and we're not being ran like an oil money club.

Whose going to part with the money. The big clubs only spending money on younger players. And you're left with Turkey or the Gulf that's it. Did you see PSG's business in the summer? Basically zero transfer fees barring like 1 transfer which was cheap. The only club willingly spending money is Newcastle that's it. Everyone else is on the value flex. Liverpool wanted Diaz in the summer it was only Spurs forced their hand they pulled the trigger.

Just because teams were in for those players doesn't mean the players a) what to join those teams like Vlahovic situation b) they low ball offers. And if they accept low ball offers fans will complain regardless.

What finesse has Levy done recently? The same Levy who phucked Spurs by not selling players and getting low value for Eriksen. Or when they were on the verge of winning something to rebuild. And when they did begin to buy they just sent 2 of Pochs buy out on loan most likely not getting the money they paid for them. So you can give the Levy stuff the :camby:

Didnt Saliba more or less say Arteta was kinda right the other day. I only saw the Good Slap part.

And yeah the Arsenal is bit short on numbers but the cap space in the summer :ohhh: basically a blank canvas for attack/strikers.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Whose going to part with the money. The big clubs only spending money on younger players. And you're left with Turkey or the Gulf that's it. Did you see PSG's business in the summer? Basically zero transfer fees barring like 1 transfer which was cheap. The only club willingly spending money is Newcastle that's it. Everyone else is on the value flex. Liverpool wanted Diaz in the summer it was only Spurs forced their hand they pulled the trigger.

Just because teams were in for those players doesn't mean the players a) what to join those teams like Vlahovic situation b) they low ball offers. And if they accept low ball offers fans will complain regardless.

What finesse has Levy done recently? The same Levy who phucked Spurs by not selling players and getting low value for Eriksen. Or when they were on the verge of winning something to rebuild. And when they did begin to buy they just sent 2 of Pochs buy out on loan most likely not getting the money they paid for them. So you can give the Levy stuff the :camby:

Didnt Saliba more or less say Arteta was kinda right the other day. I only saw the Good Slap part.

And yeah the Arsenal is bit short on numbers but the cap space in the summer :ohhh: basically a blank canvas for attack/strikers.

Ainsley, Torreira & Guendozi were all on record saying they were open to leaving but Arsenal rejected those offers for financial reasons. Problem is that none of them are worth those original offers now and rejecting those offers seemed puzzling at the time because we knew they weren't in Arteta's plans. Saliba is supposedly in Arteta's plans so it'll be good to see him back in the squad as he's looked good for Marseille this season.

Levy has shyt the bed in over the last couple seasons but if you look at the deals he's managed to get for Ndombele & Lo Celso, you have to give him credit.

And we don't have as much cap space as people are estimating since the following players are all coming back from loan as there are no obligations to buy:
Bellerin
Guendozi
Saliba
Torreira
Mari
Ainsley
Mavrapanos

Considering only Saliba is supposed to be involved going forward, that's 6 players that will need to be offloaded. We'll most likely lose Laca and Nketiah but that's not enough cap space to flesh out the squad the way we'll need to unless we get rid of the outcasts.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Ainsley, Torreira & Guendozi were all on record saying they were open to leaving but Arsenal rejected those offers for financial reasons. Problem is that none of them are worth those original offers now and rejecting those offers seemed puzzling at the time because we knew they weren't in Arteta's plans. Saliba is supposedly in Arteta's plans so it'll be good to see him back in the squad as he's looked good for Marseille this season.

Levy has shyt the bed in over the last couple seasons but if you look at the deals he's managed to get for Ndombele & Lo Celso, you have to give him credit.

And we don't have as much cap space as people are estimating since the following players are all coming back from loan as there are no obligations to buy:
Bellerin
Guendozi
Saliba
Torreira
Mari
Ainsley
Mavrapanos

Considering only Saliba is supposed to be involved going forward, that's 6 players that will need to be offloaded. We'll most likely lose Laca and Nketiah but that's not enough cap space to flesh out the squad the way we'll need to unless we get rid of the outcasts.

That's a hard sell. Too much phuckery attached to games played etc. Teams use the player and then when it comes close to to the games target the player doesn't get used or the team try low balling the figure. Once again pandemic makes that hard to pull off. And option to buy can go either way tbh.

Bellerin - I can see him back at Barca :russ:
Guendouzi - As long as he doesn't phuck up and Marseille make CL/Europe have money he'll stay there.
Saliba
Torreira - Fiorentina have money unless the player wants CL team.
Mari - he's done. Probably back to Spain
Ainsley - Will be buyers most likely PL unless he really impresses and stay in Italy
Mavrapanos - Thought he had a cheap release clause which is most likely being taken up last time I heard.

Throw in Pepe how many more outcasts are there? I think Arteta and Edu have moved on the rest.

Basically 22/23 forwards are Pepe Martinelli Saka ESR and Balogun. Looks like a blank canvas to me :hubie:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
That's a hard sell. Too much phuckery attached to games played etc. Teams use the player and then when it comes close to to the games target the player doesn't get used or the team try low balling the figure. Once again pandemic makes that hard to pull off. And option to buy can go either way tbh.

Bellerin - I can see him back at Barca :russ:
Guendouzi - As long as he doesn't phuck up and Marseille make CL/Europe have money he'll stay there.
Saliba
Torreira - Fiorentina have money unless the player wants CL team.
Mari - he's done. Probably back to Spain
Ainsley - Will be buyers most likely PL unless he really impresses and stay in Italy
Mavrapanos - Thought he had a cheap release clause which is most likely being taken up last time I heard.

Throw in Pepe how many more outcasts are there? I think Arteta and Edu have moved on the rest.

Basically 22/23 forwards are Pepe Martinelli Saka ESR and Balogun. Looks like a blank canvas to me :hubie:

If we can get fees for all these guys, then I'll be happy because there's no guarantee that KSE is going to give another £150m (especially if we don't make top 6). I personally don't think Arteta/Edu should be given another go of the cherry if they don't make Europe but we'll see what happens.

That blank canvas will only be as good as what we can do with it...and Saka will be in the last 2 years of his current deal at the end of this season :francis:

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps

Bellerin
Guendozi
Saliba
Torreira
Mari
Ainsley
Mavrapanos

Expand on the bolded for me please. How exactly did Levy get good deals for those players? If I am not mistaken, aren’t they spurs two biggest transfers? And they both flopped. They aren’t going to make back half the money they spent on them.

I can understand some fans frustration with Arsenal not making any moves in this transfer window. But I would rather hold tight than see the club making panic buys. That is how we got into this position with so many useless players to begin with.

Edu and Arteta have done a good job so far of cleaning out the mess left by the previous regime. Let us try and be patient and see how the remainder of the plan unfolds. Judging by the moves made last summer they have a solid plan in place.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Expand on the bolded for me please. How exactly did Levy get good deals for those players? If I am not mistaken, aren’t they spurs two biggest transfers? And they both flopped. They aren’t going to make back half the money they spent on them.

I can understand some fans frustration with Arsenal not making any moves in this transfer window. But I would rather hold tight than see the club making panic buys. That is how we got into this position with so many useless players to begin with.

Edu and Arteta have done a good job so far of cleaning out the mess left by the previous regime. Let us try and be patient and see how the remainder of the plan unfolds. Judging by the moves made last summer they have a solid plan in place.

Ndombele is a £1.2m loan deal with a £54m option to buy. If exercised, that's only a £6m loss.
Lo Celso's loan deal is undisclosed but my Spurs mates have said the option to buy is supposedly close to the £27m they paid for him.

The problem is that a team like Arsenal shouldn't be in a position where it's either nothing or panic buys. We all knew we were light a Striker and a CM when the summer window closed. Edu and Arteta should have been identifying targets before the window even opened. This is two windows in a row where Arsenal have gone all in a on marquee signing and lost out to Juve (Locatelli & Vlahovic) and then just not bothered to go after anyone of a similar profile. Top teams are supposed to have a list of targets.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
If we can get fees for all these guys, then I'll be happy because there's no guarantee that KSE is going to give another £150m (especially if we don't make top 6). I personally don't think Arteta/Edu should be given another go of the cherry if they don't make Europe but we'll see what happens.

That blank canvas will only be as good as what we can do with it...and Saka will be in the last 2 years of his current deal at the end of this season :francis:

KSE have been going big for the Rams and given out big contracts in the last 2 years or so for the Nuggets. So it looks like they are willingly to do something for their teams when historically they haven't in previous years. So I can see them sign off on 1-2 high value purchases for Arsenal. Tbh I think Edu leaves before Arteta does.

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
Ndombele is a £1.2m loan deal with a £54m option to buy. If exercised, that's only a £6m loss.
Lo Celso's loan deal is undisclosed but my Spurs mates have said the option to buy is supposedly close to the £27m they paid for him.

The problem is that a team like Arsenal shouldn't be in a position where it's either nothing or panic buys. We all knew we were light a Striker and a CM when the summer window closed. Edu and Arteta should have been identifying targets before the window even opened. This is two windows in a row where Arsenal have gone all in a on marquee signing and lost out to Juve (Locatelli & Vlahovic) and then just not bothered to go after anyone of a similar profile. Top teams are supposed to have a list of targets.

No way will Lyon pay £54 mil for Ndombele. Their club record signing to date is less than €30 mil. Spurs won’t make that money back on him. They will take a big transfer fee loss on both players (not even factoring in wages spent).

January is notoriously a difficult window to
Operate in. Arsenal tried to go big with Vlahovic. It didn’t work ok, cool, no need to waste money on a plan C type player right now. What other player had a similar profile to
vlahovic that was sold this window? What other striker would you have suggested they spend big on in January?

I agree that in the grand scheme of things Arsenal shouldn’t be in this position. However, it will take time to properly rebuild the team and get back to a decent level as a club. I am
Optimistic at the moment.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
KSE have been going big for the Rams and given out big contracts in the last 2 years or so for the Nuggets. So it looks like they are willingly to do something for their teams when historically they haven't in previous years. So I can see them sign off on 1-2 high value purchases for Arsenal. Tbh I think Edu leaves before Arteta does.

Rams generate significantly more revenue than Arsenal now they're in LA so I get why they spend big. If they sanction on 2 big signings (preferably a Striker and CM) then I won't complain as long as they do supplementary purchases as well for squad building. I honestly don't see a justification for Arteta to stay as well if we don't make Europe. Different time, I know but we got rid of Bruce Rioch for less.

No way will Lyon pay £54 mil for Ndombele. Their club record signing to date is less than €30 mil. Spurs won’t make that money back on him. They will take a big transfer fee loss on both players (not even factoring in wages spent).

January is notoriously a difficult window to
Operate in. Arsenal tried to go big with Vlahovic. It didn’t work ok, cool, no need to waste money on a plan C type player right now. What other player had a similar profile to
vlahovic that was sold this window? What other striker would you have suggested they spend big on in January?

I agree that in the grand scheme of things Arsenal shouldn’t be in this position. However, it will take time to properly rebuild the team and get back to a decent level as a club. I am
Optimistic at the moment.

Considering they just received £40m for Guimares, if Ndombele balls out, it's not out of the realm of the possibility for Lyon to spend that money.

Although there's no guarantee he was gonna hit the ground running, I would have gone for Isak or the shrewder signing could have been Ivan Toney. It's clear Arteta is after target men that can hold the ball up and have good feet, which both those guys fit the profile and we've been linked with both of them previously.

We've just seen Aston Villa and Newcastle bring in 3+ players each and none of them looked like panic signings so it can be done if you're willing to spend the money and have identified multiple targets.

My optimism for Arsenal is dependent on where we finish this season. If we don't get European positioning then it's going to be extremely difficult to attract players since we're obviously not gonna spend like an oil club. Arteta hasn't shown me enough to make me believe he can maximise an entire squad's talents so the quality in the team is going to be vital if the club decides to stick with him.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
If the girl drops the charges, he still has a long contract at Utd still :patrice:. Give it a few months and all will be forgotten :unimpressed:

My Utd friends and colleagues have already changed their tune within 24 hours, from "throw the book at him" to now "how do we know he punched her", "its not the first time someone lied on a twitter story" "lets wait to see what the police are saying" :dwillhuh:
They seriously trying to play this out as if the voice note is mason reading off a script in some weird role play :mjtf::unimpressed:
He's a generational young player. To be frank, we did the same to Kobe. When you don't want a player to go, you find or search hard for outs but let's be real, if he was aging or just you or I, he's donzo