Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Montez

Superstar
Daps
What’s wrong with billionaires buying clubs, investing in stadia and the community, raising the profile of clubs, and not doing it in a way that saddles the club with debt and strips them of revenue? You should want that in a league. Let billionaires buy more teams, make leagues competitive

Nothing wrong with billionaires but the football model is essentially billionaires will continue to spend forever with no rules in place to control spend.

There is going to be a point where they (the richer clubs) start denying other clubs from getting that stimulus and/or creating their own rules.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
zi4wk1nbtvf71.jpg

:wow:

Lol subs better than like 80 percent of the premier league

noondawg

Pro
Daps
Nah, I’m blaming the premier league because wages are out of control thanks to them allowing nation-states to buy clubs and spend with no limits.

Barcelona and Real are terribly ran clubs, but it’s largely due to competing with England.

And the EPL doesn’t care about the sport at all. There is a reason why their media outlets were the loudest in rallying against the Super League while other leagues were like, “we get it.” That was the first time in a decade that the EPL saw a real financial threat since they vanquished as a financial competitor in the Champions League in the 2010s.

That doesn’t absolve Barca and Madrid or the Italian clubs, but we are here because the EPL has relegated everyone else to minor league status.

Although I agree that the premier league has made money no object to a degree(for example a Bournemouth have more money to offer than a top 4 Spanish club, with a 16000 stadium) that’s not why Barcelona, real are in the position they are. Is it the PL fault barca have spent around 400m on signings in the last 5 years along with crazy wages and not one has worked? Hell they spunked 30m on Malcolm for the hell of it. Same as real. Signing players and wages. @Kunty McPhuck you’d know more, but real and barca have hamstrung la liga by having not only they’re on tv deals but also take a higher % of overseas tv rights. The premier league is strong because although the top 6 are dominant, the tv money is split evenly. And this along with the fans and culture make it entertaining. Same thing with Italy. You really think the super league was proposed was because they care about saving football. Barca real juve have Mismanaged they’re finances for years and no are reaping what they sowed. Even yday Barca tried to shift blame into la liga saying they were why the couldn’t resign Messi

:hhh::hhh:

KnowledgeDropper

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan
Nah, I’m blaming the premier league because wages are out of control thanks to them allowing nation-states to buy clubs and spend with no limits.

Barcelona and Real are terribly ran clubs, but it’s largely due to competing with England.

And the EPL doesn’t care about the sport at all. There is a reason why their media outlets were the loudest in rallying against the Super League while other leagues were like, “we get it.” That was the first time in a decade that the EPL saw a real financial threat since they vanquished as a financial competitor in the Champions League in the 2010s.

That doesn’t absolve Barca and Madrid or the Italian clubs, but we are here because the EPL has relegated everyone else to minor league status.

EPL, no matter what you think of it, still has real promotion / relegation and still provides monies for mid table clubs to improve. It’s not closed by any means. Super League went against both of those.

noondawg

Pro
Daps
What’s wrong with billionaires buying clubs, investing in stadia and the community, raising the profile of clubs, and not doing it in a way that saddles the club with debt and strips them of revenue? You should want that in a league. Let billionaires buy more teams, make leagues competitive

This. For all that oil money. Chelsea and citehs owners are invested just as much off the pitch. But even though Leicester’s owners are billionaires they grew organically, winning the league just catapulted them 10 years quicker along.

noondawg

Pro
Daps
EPL, no matter what you think of it, still has real promotion / relegation and still provides monies for mid table clubs to improve. It’s not closed by any means. Super League went against both of those.

Yeah and if the super league went ahead the PL would have lost a ton of money!! But that’s the greed of the top 6

and love or hate it. The premier league can afford it the way clubs spend money. But I do think the ceiling is near wage wise

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I might b talking out of my ass here but... barca still has a hell of a team(on paper) they look way better than real madrid:yeshrug:they just need a manager who can make them play as a team. To bad they have an incompetent idiot as a manager. I wonder when was the last time atletico won 2 la ligas in a row. This might be it .

On paper they look good, but they can't register any of their new signings until they balance the books. :francis:

Marina 'Black Widow' Granovskaia gets deals done :wow:

Been trying to tell folks :sas2:

B-b-b-but I thought it was all the Premier League's fault? :pachaha:This is epic levels of financial mismanagement.

Until La Liga have flatter distribution of revenues instead of basically letting Madrid/Barca set all the rules, they can’t claim moral superiority over EPL.

A lot of people say EPL “destroyed” a lot of smaller English clubs but look at how many English clubs raised their profile during the EPL era. Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournmouth/Brighton/Burnley are well known to global football fans. Revenue sharing, parachute payments, etc bring a lot money to smaller clubs.

Yup. And the amazing thing is, not one of those teams were PL sides at the beginning of the 2010s.:wow: Testament to English football's meritocracy.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Although I agree that the premier league has made money no object to a degree(for example a Bournemouth have more money to offer than a top 4 Spanish club, with a 16000 stadium) that’s not why Barcelona, real are in the position they are. Is it the PL fault barca have spent around 400m on signings in the last 5 years along with crazy wages and not one has worked? Hell they spunked 30m on Malcolm for the hell of it. Same as real. Signing players and wages. @Kunty McPhuck you’d know more, but real and barca have hamstrung la liga by having not only they’re on tv deals but also take a higher % of overseas tv rights. The premier league is strong because although the top 6 are dominant, the tv money is split evenly. And this along with the fans and culture make it entertaining. Same thing with Italy. You really think the super league was proposed was because they care about saving football. Barca real juve have Mismanaged they’re finances for years and no are reaping what they sowed. Even yday Barca tried to shift blame into la liga saying they were why the couldn’t resign Messi

:hhh::hhh:
I guess I will repeat myself again. Barcelona is a badly managed club that made poor decisions.

They have terrible people running that club.

But they were doing it to keep up with the Super League in England. This would have been the same if Barcelona won trebles the last five years and Messi was getting ready for another season at Barcelona.

Something is wrong when players are leaving CL clubs to join mid table Super League in England teams.

I don’t think the Super League was saving anything, but I understand why those but clubs in those other leagues joined. There is a Super League already in England.

The TV money may be spread evenly, but unless you have a billionaire owner you cannot crack that the CL spots.

You can’t break into the CL unless you have billions to spend. It’s a Super League right now.

And what makes it worse is the Premiership doesn’t give a fukk about developing the sport.