Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
They, and City have obviously been told it's a non-starter.

#WelcomeToManchesterUnitedErlingYourHairIsVeryBlondeAndBeautiful

PSG and Juve only real competition as Waiter has great relationship with those 2 clubs. Outside bet is Bayern just because it's a Waiter thing to do especially as they love a release clause.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
In all honesty, I'm not much interested in club football like that any more. Too much money in too few hands makes the game less attractive. I'll tune in for some big games but otherwise, I'll mostly follow NT football.

It was always going to end up the American way but shyt has been accelerating way too fast in the last 5 years. I dont have any solution to solve this issue though. Concentration of wealth seems to be the logical end of a free market system.

Unless there is some governing body that can balance things artificially with a salary cap for example, I dont see how things will get better. In that regard, I kinda like of that works in the NBA though it's still possible to create superteams.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Chill bro, you never got an erection over a nice piece of skill?

shyt, i nearly cum when i watch Bruno.

I think you're the weird one here.
dame2-1-2.png

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Until La Liga have flatter distribution of revenues instead of basically letting Madrid/Barca set all the rules, they can’t claim moral superiority over EPL.
No one is claiming moral superiority for anyone or any league. :dwillhuh:

A lot of people say EPL “destroyed” a lot of smaller English clubs but look at how many English clubs raised their profile during the EPL era. Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournmouth/Brighton/Burnley are well known to global football fans. Revenue sharing, parachute payments, etc bring a lot money to smaller clubs.
The only club you mentioned that raised their profile is Leicester, who have a billionaire owner.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
Until La Liga have flatter distribution of revenues instead of basically letting Madrid/Barca set all the rules, they can’t claim moral superiority over EPL.

A lot of people say EPL “destroyed” a lot of smaller English clubs but look at how many English clubs raised their profile during the EPL era. Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournmouth/Brighton/Burnley are well known to global football fans. Revenue sharing, parachute payments, etc bring a lot money to smaller clubs.

Those clubs are big but the Premier League has essentially created a 25/26 super league giving those clubs the ability to outspend all about 9/10 clubs outside of England.

Even when Fergie and Wenger were running the league it wasn't like this. The billionaires changed the game. The TV deals exploded, the billionaires came in, and the rest of Europe was done. If the league and clubs were worried about the money in the game they would established spending rules but they never did.

The league today is incredible but to get here they were letting any motherfukker buy a team for a minute (Venkys, Hicks & Gillett, Milan Mandarić, Thaksin Shinawatra) to raise the profile quickly.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Not the PL fault that barring Germany the rest of the league's administrators failed to promote and brand their leagues properly and have been subpar with what theyve done to improve their product off the pitch. Hundreds of millions TV deals signed for the league and only 4-5 teams get the majority of the money and this went on for well of a decade
The elephant in the room that we aren’t talking about is English colonization making it easier for the world to understand the league.

Germany can definitely do a better job, but colonization have a leg up.

Foreign players being :gladbron: that they can play in front of packed stadiums instead half empty grounds with only the Ultras making the noise. Season tickets are a lot more cheaper in Spain and Italy than in England. In some cases you could buy both a La Liga and Serie A together and it would be still cheaper than a single PL season ticket. But yet the crowds don't care unless it's a big games/team in town.

Serie A and La Liga are closer to the Championship than they are to the PL and Bundesliga in average attendance. I guess the Italian and Spanish fans would rather stay in and watched the uncultured kick and rush PL :skip:

It's fine to blame the PL for the ills it's done towards the English game. But to put the blame on them for other people's ineptitude in other countries when there are plenty of valid reasons for their failures that have nothing to do with the PL.
The ills done to the English game is now infecting all of Europe, and the global game.

Players are excited to come to England because they can make more money playing for a mid table club than the Champions of Portugal, like Reuben Neves did. This isn’t good for the sport.